News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

02 Ficht Opinions

Started by headduck, January 19, 2014, 10:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

headduck

Hey Guys,

This ad is currently on Craigslist and seems to be not a terrible idea.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/4292523973.html

I did a little research and have found the following...in a nut shell..
Prior to 2001, OMC produced the motors with limited success. Bombardier produced the 2002 model year and fixed the majority of the concerns associated with the OMC produced motors.

Supposedly fuel efficiency is pretty good and there are benefits with weight etc.

One thing I was unable to find was information from folks who have used the motors over time. Reliability? Maintenance concerns? Etc...

Additionally, can this go to the shop to be plugged into a laptop to get at the real history..?

I know its an old motor, but I currently am powered by an 87 VRO. Seems like this could be a step up for a reasonable price...?

Opinions please..? Facts if you got 'em...

2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

amazing grace

Looks like it is a clean motor. I believe there was a hp range that they had some serious troubles with. I am not clear on what that was though. Price seems a bit on the high side, not bad though.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Hydro-Therapy

I just had a discussion with my mechanic about these motors. While they do have a bit different fuel system than the new Etec . It seems that if they have over 150 hours on them they were a good motor. Major problem motors were mainly the 175-200 . My mechanic picked up a 150 needing a few repairs and ended up more than reasonable in it. He also claimed to be using 1/3 of the fuel he used to use in a 115.

If you are able to run the motor and have it inspected and need a 90hp I would be all over it. As for the price offer them what you are comfortable with and see where it goes.
If this was a 115 or 150 I would buy it.

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

Threeweight

$2500 is too much $$ for that motor, IMO. 

12 years old, parts are hard to find now, resale value once it is on your boat is minimal.  It is more fuel efficient than an old carb'ed two stroke, but not even close to a modern four stroke or direct injected two stroke.  And whether it is a good one or not, it is still saddled w/ the ficht reputation.

IMO, it isn't worth more than $1500-1750.

Several folks in the forum have found nice Honda or Yamaha 4 stroke 90's for $3500-4500.  I'd keep looking.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

headduck

Good advice once more...

We have been thinking about running the one we have til it dies and then repowering with new...just for piece of mind...especially when considering history or lack there of...something to be said for knowing where the motor has been and how it has been pushed or not...but gosh darn it if the $10k price tag doesn't push a guy to look for good used options...

Good to know that there are opportunities for 4 strokes in the $3-5k range.

Thanks for the education.

ed
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

Threeweight

For the bargain motors w/ the 4 stokes, you gotta be ready to either drop everything and pounce as soon as the ad is posted, or do some detective work.

In terms of new pricing, when you are ready to pull the trigger don't be afraid to call around and haggle.  Sportcraft is running a deal in brand new Suzuki 115's, installed with basic gauges, fro $8900.  I'm guessing they'd do a little better on the 90's. 

I pulled my boat out of the garage to run the motors yesterday and replace my fuel filter.  It was very nice bumping the starter and having my motor purr to life in about two seconds.  If you are going to spend the $$ to repower, and your current motor is working, my advice would be to hold out until you can get either a used motor in nice shape of a make and model with a good rep, or buy new.

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

croaker stroker

It's on an Arima now.  Looks like it has lived indoors.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

strokersquid

my best friend has a 2000  Ficht 135 on a 19 striper and despite lack of maintainance and general abuse it is utterly reliable, more so than my 2002 Yamaha f100 which despite good treatment continues to spite me on a regular basis. It always starts right up no matter how long it has been sitting. Mine often requires some coaxing and sometimes starter fluid. He also tends to get great gas milage despite running wfo most of the time. I am truly jealous and was looking for a ficht. One on ebay , a 2002 115 with about 400 hours and no controls went for over $4000 last year. So much for a bad reputation affecting prices.