News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Downrigger's from Definace

Started by 2New, January 09, 2014, 07:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xplorz

Quote from: wedocq on January 11, 2014, 09:25:01 AM
That's a good point Al. A little off subject, but the old school train of thought of going slow for kings has been changing in recent years. But I think that's because so many people don't use bait as much anymore. I have talked to some guys that will troll at 3-3.5 mph with certain gear for kings. That was unheard of 25 years ago.
-Shawn

That's the low end of commercial troll speed for chinook slamon and has been even when I was in the single digits age wise (late 60's) on my dads old double ended troller.
'89 Arima Sea Chaser 17, 98 Honda horses.

yellowlab

Use the orange bead stops if you're using braid, which I highly recommend. Tie them with a double palomar knot and use 3 stops with a dab of super glue to keep them from sliding. Braid is quiet, doesn't give off any current, and doesn't splinter like cable. I also use a snubber (Goldstar Green), 12# finned balls, good Sampo ball bearing swivels on flashers. I do not like the Scotty releases. I'd never found them to be the correct tension, either too loose or too tight, even with adjusting the clip or swapping out the pads. I highly recommend the heavy off shore release that John's Sporting Goods makes. I also use a small gaff and have marks on the wooden handle with intervals marks at 16", 22", 24" and 36", you'll never need a tape to fumble around while determining if a fish is worthy of the box. Oh, and I use a little surgical tubing on the release clip holds to keep them from sliding up or down the braid. Someone mentioned having a spare belt on board, I found this to be of wise info. Last summer we were 30 miles out and one belt failed and wouldn't you know it, the fishing was HOT. It took more time having to swap the belt from one rigger to the other as we had to filter through wild Coho after Coho trying to get our legal limits. Now, I carry spare parts aboard and make sure the riggers are working properly. 
21' Sea Ranger Skip Tower, 150 VTEC FI Honda, Salt Boss with Yamaha T8 on 703 controller, hot box plumbed and Marine Tech P2. Solas 4-blade 14.75x15 aluminum prop.

My First Arima was a 17' Sea Chaser Skip Tower with Honda 90 and 8  kicker

wedocq

Quote from: xplorz on January 12, 2014, 07:02:48 PM
Quote from: wedocq on January 11, 2014, 09:25:01 AM
That's a good point Al. A little off subject, but the old school train of thought of going slow for kings has been changing in recent years. But I think that's because so many people don't use bait as much anymore. I have talked to some guys that will troll at 3-3.5 mph with certain gear for kings. That was unheard of 25 years ago.
-Shawn

That's the low end of commercial troll speed for chinook slamon and has been even when I was in the single digits age wise (late 60's) on my dads old double ended troller.

Yup! My Grandfather was a sport troller, and he trolled fast as well. I think it was because he fished plugs, and they needed the speed. But anytime we sport fished, it was with herring, and very slow.
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Markshoreline

yellowlab,
That is great advice!  I've been frustrated by the stops slipping but never thought about tying them into place and gluing them too!  Also like your measurement marks on the gaff to easily ID short fish and release them.
I prefer the blue Scotty snubber because it is shorter and our hulls are so low...
In 20 years I've never had a belt fail but always carry a spare anyway.
I've had great luck with the Scotty releases with the yellow lips.  The trick is with high drag gear, such as flashers is to pull the clip back to that it gets in to super-hold range.

I've heard that trollers routinely run at 6 mph.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

StreamFixer

That's tuna speed.  The blow back must be HUGE 

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

GoodDays

25 pound cannon balls... or even 30's   :yeahthat:

GoodDays Greg

GutZ

Quote from: 2New on January 10, 2014, 08:51:29 PM
SFF, your right,  talking to the scotty reps before I spend over 100 bucks for 2, 15lb ball's  makes good sense.

Check Outdoor Emporium for DR weights. I think you might get 4x 12# for $100
It's always good to have a plan.
It's always better to have a good plan.

baddawg

I have run 15lb for years, no problems.  I like the blowback being less, especially when fishing at 150' plus. Keep an eye on craigslist for downrigger balls, usually $25 to $30 each for 15lb balls.

First Cabin

I always place two stops on the wire side by side.  They are less likely to slide out of position or fall off.  I set the stops at a spot on the wire where the downrigger ball remains just under the surface of the water and doesn't swing around while I'm checking the bait.  I also place the stop at the correct spot on the wire so I can lift the boom on the downrigger and the ball swings right to me and I can put it down inside the boat.

Mixed feelings on the snubbers.  I had a snubber break once which left me wondering if I was just adding another link to fail.  My wire breaks have usually been from frays further up the line and not at the ball itself so the snubber hasn't saved me.  I do really like grabbing onto it to pull the ball in though!  Much more comfortable than grabbing the wire!

Of course since I put Cannon wire on my Scottys I haven't lost any gear.  That was  a few years ago now and I haven't changed the Cannon wire yet.    Far fewer frays...little corrosion....  I'm convinced the Scotty wire is junk in comparison.  Put the wire side by side and look at it with a magnifying glass.  You'll notice the Cannon wire is wrapped 30% tighter(meaning more wire strands per foot, more flexibility and less work hardening), not to mention the anti-corrosion coating.

In short, if I were to buy a Scotty downrigger, the first time I needed to change the wire, I'd go with Cannon wire.  Lose a ball or two and the wire is cheap!
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

GregE

Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

PNW Pride

LOL!  So many opinions and preferences.  I run Cannon D R's with Scotty high speed wire and Cannon terminal gear attached to the blue snubbers.  I have had gear wrapped around crab trap line at Westport numerous times and have always recovered with this setup.  The blue snubbers stretch but have not failed, the Scotty high speed is cheap and has a higher test lb rating than the normal stuff.  When I ran Cannon wire I lost a lot of gear, granted that wire was a few years old and I didn't re rig terminal gear every season.  Now I re rig terminal gear every year after I cut about 4-5' of wire off.  That last 4-5' of wire really takes a lot of abuse pulling 15lb weights in out of the water, I believe it creates weak points.
21' Sea Ranger/Honda 150HP