Author Topic: Downrigger's from Definace  (Read 3605 times)

Offline 2New

Downrigger's from Definace
« on: January 09, 2014, 07:37:42 PM »
I stopped at Defiance Marine today and bought my downriggers, scotty 1106 electric, with 60”,  boom, swivel mount.  The 1106 has automatic stop.  I guess you can have your DR’s stop where it is to your liking by adjusting a movable piece on the cable.
As CompTime mentioned, I will install the weight retriever cords, seems like a good idea.  I went with the 15 lb balls.  I was told 12 or 15 pound for the type of fishing I will be doing and that more weight would be better than less.   I guess these scotty’s are good for up to 20 lbs.  Definace is putting a hook on the base of the boom to hang the ball on when traveling out on the water.  When trailering the boat, I will secure the balls in a holder.
I have an appointment with Definace on Febuary 1st , to install and wire DR’s.  While I am there I will have them check my battery/battery switch wiring to make sure everything is the way it should be.  Don’t want any problems out on the water!... :fishing:

Dean

Offline Markshoreline

Re: Downrigger's from Definace
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 09:55:04 PM »
Dean,
While the Scotties will pull 15lb, the repair person at Outdoor Emporium recommends to stick with 12 lbs so there is less drain on the boat's electrical system, so that's what I stick with.
Those 60" booms should get the balls way out there!   :arms:
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Offline GregE

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 10:10:38 PM »
Good for you-  going to a good source.  (If you don't know cars, know your mechanic) 

It may feel costly but Defiance  can finance   :biggrin:
Greg
Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT; SL 22 Honda 225
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:  Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat;
SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Offline Tom Mac

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 06:30:35 AM »
Dean,
While the Scotties will pull 15lb, the repair person at Outdoor Emporium recommends to stick with 12 lbs so there is less drain on the boat's electrical system, so that's what I stick with.
Those 60" booms should get the balls way out there!   :arms:

I'm with Mark on this, have spare fuses on board. And at 60 inches with 15lb balls that's a lot of weight on the gunnels. But bigger the balls the less blow back witch is good.
1991 Sea Ranger 17, 2014 F90 Yamaha, 2008 T8 Yamaha

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 07:03:37 AM »
Tm
Do you run the older Scottie's?
How do the perform hauling up the ball with the 15 compared to the 12?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 09:22:26 AM by markshoreline »

Offline Kimbrey

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 07:25:37 AM »
I have those.  I have had them three years or maybe more, I forget.  When I first got them I extended the boom a few times and now I just don't bother with it.  I've been using 15lb weights the past couple of years with no problems.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth

Offline pescadore

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 07:30:24 AM »
Using 12 lb balls are a real treat. Even 10 lbs may be enough when summer fishing, as the big Chinook come into shallow water. But most of the year, and certainly in the winter, we use 15lbs. I have a friend who uses 20s, and the lines are nice and steep, but the downriggers sure seem to groan.   

Also it may be worth mentioning that Scotty calls for 12g marine wire for run lengths less than 25'.  (10g if longer). But I opted for 10g anyway, under the principal that bigger is better.

Offline AlAdams

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 08:10:04 AM »
I have the older Scotties and typically run 15lb weights.  My only recommendation would be to have them serviced on a regular basis to make sure the brake and clutch are adjusted correctly.  Once out of adjustment those heavy weights are a nightmare as you're trying to stop a free falling ball.  There is a way to do it yourself if you're out fishing and your downrigger starts acting up.  I think Scotty recommends 40lbs of tension on the brake.  I've used my digital scale to get it close - adjusting the nuts until the brake starts releasing at 40lbs.  Then I take it to Tom at Sportco (or your authorized repair place) for fine tuning.  I think the procedure is in the Scotty manual although I've lost my manuals and can't verify that now.
You can't trust water, even a straight stick will turn crooked in it - WC Fields

'88 SR w/Skip Tower  '02 Honda 90,'02 Honda 15
Electrical by R. Wyrguy.

Offline GutZ

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 01:12:15 PM »
You are going to want to have some long releases with those arms. I am currently rigging mine on 100# leader. The ones I use are a  :arms: fathom long. Get a crimper set and rig your own. The Scotty releases with the chartreuse head are the ones to go with. Be aware that there are two setting on them. You will usually want to use the setting furthest back.

Cable? I hope you mean Braid!
It's always good to have a plan.
It's always better to have a good plan.

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 08:06:54 PM »
I'm with GutZ on the homemade release cables and the Scotty releases.  I also use a BIG snap swivel to connect to the downrigger ball.  Used to use 6 footers, now mine are just long enough to get up to the rod holder so I can pull it up once and lock it in there while I'm getting my gear ready to hook up.
Also, I use 300-400 lb leader because I can lift it with my naked hand and not get cut by it due to the larger leader it also survives the occasional trips into the prop and scrapes on the bottom.  So buy the big crimp set that fits the big leader.  2New, if you need enough leader for a couple of sets I can send you some if you let me know.

Offline 2New

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 08:08:07 PM »
Good advise all, Defiance say's 15lbs are ok but maybe I should go 12lbs.MMMMMM what to do?
    Have spare fuses , will do.
    I will keep check on the clutch and brake adjustment, thanks.
    I got 60" releases from Defiance and will learn to make my own.
    Gutz on the Sea Kitten, 2New doesn't know if he has cable or braided . Guess I got whatever comes with the Scottys.

Seattleflyfisher

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 08:25:27 PM »
Not sure Defiance is the place this question should be answered. They are boat builders, nothing wrong with that but talking to the Scotty service reps is the ideal place.

Just say-in

SFF
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 09:01:38 PM by Seattleflyfisher »

Offline 2New

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 08:51:29 PM »
SFF, your right,  talking to the scotty reps before I spend over 100 bucks for 2, 15lb ball's  makes good sense.

Online PNW Pride

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 08:57:23 PM »
10g wire, Scotty high speed cable, weight retrieve cord, blue snubbers, 60" Scotty quick release to 15lb ball and your set.  I also recommend the Cannon terminal gear with the plastic snap, be sure to check the cable for kinks and cut off 1-4' every year. :twocents:
21' Sea Ranger/Honda 150HP

Offline Tom Mac

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 09:10:47 PM »
Tm
Do you run the older Scottie's?
How do the perform hauling up the ball with the 15 compared to the 12?

I do run the older Scotties with 60 inch booms (never have needed to use them extended), but I only run 10 and 12 pound balls. There is blow back when fishing deep but using braid helps cut it down to a min. 15 pounders are expensive and a lot of weight on the rigger just haven't found the need to go that heavy.
1991 Sea Ranger 17, 2014 F90 Yamaha, 2008 T8 Yamaha

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 09:18:37 PM »
I don't use the retrieve cords because it is one more thing to get tangled or in the way.  I have a gaff in my rear rod holder rack that I use to scoop up the release clip lines.

Offline CanvasGuy

• ArimaOwners.com Sr. Banner Engineer
  • Fisherman
  • aka king slayer
  • View Gallery
    • Smart Custom Canvas
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 04:16:01 AM »
OK Weighing in here ,,,
I run my Downriggers off the stern Corners..
 where Salmon University recommends you mount them..on an Arima.
and use my Swivel bases to retrieve my line to hook up my release
 I run a 550Lb parachute cord as a snubber allowing enough to keep the balls just under the surface.
and easy hand hold to pick up..
I run ACE n the Hole set up..running the flasher off the ball..(only way to fly IMHO) nothing but fish on my line.... :party:
and recently went to 200# power pro braid  if you are real attentive when you drag a ball and retie after every indecent...
since I run 2106's I run 15 lb balls if I can get them...
and it works Great for me..

MY :twocents: 
Gary Smart
-1980 Hardtop Glasply Sedan"VistaCruiser" 
 http://www.smartcustomcanvas.com
“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2014, 07:02:42 AM »
If you have a prop guard the release clip lines can be shorter than the distance to the prop- or longer than it.
Just don't make them the same length because it will find its way into the prop- guard or not! 

Offline wedocq

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2014, 08:30:30 AM »
Mark, your repair guy sounds like our UPS mechanics, he doesn't want you to use 15 lb balls because there is a slight chance you might have to use the lifetime warranty, so better not do it! I have had my Scottys for 10 years now with now problems with 15 lb balls. If you are fishing past 60' or so, I think it's the only way to go.
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki DF175 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Offline AlAdams

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2014, 08:53:32 AM »
I think the main advantage to running the heavier weights is when fishing for silvers.  The 15lb balls allow you to kick your speed up keeping your line more vertical.  For kings I troll slower so I'll use the 12 or 10lb balls just because they're easier to handle. 
You can't trust water, even a straight stick will turn crooked in it - WC Fields

'88 SR w/Skip Tower  '02 Honda 90,'02 Honda 15
Electrical by R. Wyrguy.

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2014, 09:14:30 AM »
Shawn- yeah you're right, it's about reducing load and wear on the systems to avoid failure.  But you have a point regarding the lifetime warranty. 

So, anybody know the retrieve difference (maybe feet per minute) on the older units between 12 and 15 pounds?  Mine probably aren't breaking any records with the 12's...

Offline wedocq

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2014, 09:25:01 AM »
That's a good point Al. A little off subject, but the old school train of thought of going slow for kings has been changing in recent years. But I think that's because so many people don't use bait as much anymore. I have talked to some guys that will troll at 3-3.5 mph with certain gear for kings. That was unheard of 25 years ago.
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki DF175 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Offline pescadore

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2014, 09:47:10 AM »
 I like the snubbers as well. They have saved my balls several times.  :smile1:

Some say they allow the balls to bounce but I think they also offer a few extra seconds to recover. I'm not sure how often they can be stretched out though. One time I brought it in at least 3 ft long,  so I retire them after a bad grounding. You can buy the snubber without the swivels for less money and re-rig them. They are always cheaper than new lead.

In the winter we like to fish the very bottom so I might move the release clip to the bottom of the snubber. Either way I rig my own release clips 4 feet long. I like stiff tuna line as it doesn't twist up so much. Then instead of the stainless snap that comes on the Scotty rigs, I use a clip straight on to the snubber swivel. This has saved me numerous release clips that seem to pop off all too easily.

Along with spare fuses, I keep an extra belt on board now. I broke one once and had to fish the rest of the weekend pulling the ball up and down by hand. Fortunately we were only fishing 35 feet deep with 10lb balls, and I had upgraded to braided downrigger line.

I  broke the belt as I was trying to get the ball off of a reef using the down rigger. Now if I ground out I put gloves on and pull the line by hand.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:50:24 AM by StreamFixer »

Offline GregE

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2014, 04:36:12 PM »
SNUBBERS COULD HAVE SAVED ME THREE DR balls 
Two slips that popped cables and one overrun into the boom and 42#s into the deep....   :doh:
Greg
Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT; SL 22 Honda 225
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:  Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat;
SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Online BruceL2_Fish

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2014, 05:09:06 PM »
I have used 15lbs balls on my Scotty's forever.   My downriggers were bought in the mid 1990's and have fished for 10 years. then we sold our boat and they sat in storage until we bought our arima this last year.   I ran them this summer they worked fine but I noticed they needed a tune up took them in for service.   They are still pulling 15's. 

We also use snubber and they have saved lots of balls.

Bruce
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker