Author Topic: Proud owner of 2002 19SR  (Read 3809 times)

Offline 2New

Proud owner of 2002 19SR
« on: January 06, 2014, 10:03:20 PM »
I have been working on this deal with Larry G. at Sportscraft Marina for the last 2 or 3 weeks on the 2002—19SR with a F-115 yamaha.  One thing led to another and I went down for a water trial on the Willamette river with Mike.  We launched and motored out into the river a-ways that’s when mike dropped the hammer, the 19 Sr came out the hole and was on step in no time at all, he trimmed the motor out and backed off on the throttle a little, then we just cruised so sweet and so smooth. After a awhile we came to an idle.  Mike had me to get behind the helm to have a go at it, man it was great.  Mike was very good at answering all my questions and gave me a lot of advice.  So, we worked that Yamaha from idle to WOT and it didn’t skip a beat.   
The steering felt fine, everything on the boat works, lights, bilge, ran water and fresh water, wiper.   One problem is the Center window wing nut.  They are both broken off.  So I have no way to close it securely.  We motored back to the dock and Mike showed me how to drive the boat on the bunk trailer.  Wow! That will take me awhile to get the touch that he has.  Once we got back to the shop (sportcraft). I bought the boat for 22k.  This price is at the upper end of what I wanted to spend but for an excellent condition 2002 hull turn-key boat, I am ok with it.
 I needed a kicker, so sportcraft set me up with a Honda 2014 BF8 electric start long shaft with a high trust prop.  They hooked everything up and installed Ez-steer for a good price.  The kicker is hanging on a OMC bracket that I think I will get a lot of good use out of, before I will need to change out to a fixed bracket.
  About 2:30 pm I folded the top down and towed the boat home to sequim.  I would stop every so often and check the trailer bearings.  This trailer has been well maintained with service records to show, so everything went smooth for the 230 mile trip home. 
Got the boat parked in the barn now and trying to get the top, side curtains, and back drop all put back together.  It sure came apart easier than going back together.  The problem may be it’s only 30 degrees and my fingers are frozen.
Next weekend the girlfriend and I are going out on Sequim bay for the maiden voyage.  I got butterflies about launching, maneuvering at the dock and loading it back on the bunk trailer.
While we are cruising Sequim bay, getting a feel for the boat I will also be trying to figure out this HDS8 that I know nothing about.  Before we go out we will get all the coast guard stuff to be legal. Kathleen and I are working to get our license to operate the boat, but I think we have a 30 day grace period, so we will go out in the bay this weekend licensed or not.
I need to get downriggers installed soon.  Please help me with info on what type of electric down rigger are of good quality and where to mount them on my 19SR.  Pictures would be great.  I need to be ready to go for Olympic Peninsula salmon derby Feb. 15, 16, 17. Winter black mouth classic. 
 Sorry I don’t have pictures to show you of this sweet boat but I haven’t figured out how to do this yet.  I promise pictures will be coming soon.  Last but not least thanks to Larry G. Mike and Tim at sportcraft you guy’s are good people.
Thanks, Dean

Offline GregE

Re: Proud owner of 2002 19SR
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 10:11:25 PM »
Dean, Good for you!!   Do a search the 'how to post pictures' thread.   I ( and several others) will help..

CAll your Coast Guard Auxillary-  they can provide good guidance on safety equipment, licensing and boat operator requirements.  There are some discussion threads on here too.

Greg
Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT; SL 22 Honda 225
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:  Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat;
SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 10:15:05 PM »
Congratulations!  Sounds like you got a good one!

Re: learning the ropes... check and see if your local Coast Guard Auxiliary is offering their "Basic Seamanship" class in your area.  It is a six week course that meets one night a week, and really does a good job of covering the basics.

Re: operating your HDS, here's a couple of video resources that might be helpful:

http://vimeo.com/15426536?width=500&height=350

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Support/Video-Library/
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

• Fisherman
  • 17 SC Sold Currently Arimaless
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 10:18:44 PM »
Oh. Man....You guys. My day started with Lucky Chucky at my front door early this morning. We continued to detail his 21 SR HT......then off to our fishing coffee clatch at 4 PM.....back to the house.....then an evening call from one of our members to discuss a deal on a 19 SR Skip.

And now 2New posting his purchase of a 2002 19 SR.......this is absolutely contagious... :doh: I can't stand it anymore....ya'll are driving me nuts.  Guess I'll go on point for another Arima.

2New....Outstanding! what a thrill...standing behind the wheel of a new to you 19 SR.....You're all set!  :clap: Congratulations and Welcome to the Club. Yes please....post photos as soon as you can.
As for launching and retrieving....don't sweat it...just take your time and make sure your first mate understands the procedures.....go extra slow and you'll be fine!
Best regards,   J Doo Doo Dad AKA Liverwurst
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 07:41:41 AM by StreamFixer »
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

Offline GregE

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 10:32:18 PM »
As my TUNA mentor often says about docking and loading on the trailer   "slow is pro"
Greg

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 10:38:24 PM »
2New,

Congrats!  Like they say, the second best day of your life is when you buy a new boat!  (Just kidding when it comes to an Arima!)

LVR is right, just go slow with the launching- maybe even create a checklist- straps off, plug in, trailer lights unplugged, motors up, all the stuff in the boat from the car, lines on the side of the boat closest to the dock, and more.  Use the checklist consistently until you have it down.  This is a great time of year to practice because you won't have a lot of impatient and sometimes aggressive competitors for the launch.

As for downriggers, Scotties are great (which I run), as are Cannons.  If you go with Scotties get the lower speed model instead of the new high speed one- it will save you money and be much more forgiving of your newbie errors.  I have the lower speeds and they are very reliable and satisfactory for my constant use.  With the upcoming boat shows you should be able to pick a pair up at bargain prices.  Lots of guys here will help you spend your money- just ask away!  Heck, you can even come with our group to the boat show.

Splurge for the swivel bases (you'll regret it if you don't) and mount them as far to the back corners as you can.  Pick up a prop guard for your kicker motor at the show so that you don't slash your downrigger line when you turn too sharp.

I'll see if I can find a pic of the mounting spot, but others here can help out also.  Plan on having a place to conveniently secure your downrigger balls for easy access in and out of the water.  For my boat, that is directly rear of the downrigger at the rear of the sponson.  I'm sure if you asked, you would be invited to examine the set ups that some of our guys have.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 10:41:59 PM by markshoreline »
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Offline xplorz

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 07:06:56 AM »
Congratulations 2New! Glad to hear you were treated well by Sportcraft. They did me good on my re-power. It was nice being repowered by an actual Arima dealer. Everything right the first time.

Sounds like you have great plans ahead, enjoy!  :beerchug:
'89 Arima Sea Chaser 17, 98 Honda horses.

Online BruceL2_Fish

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 07:26:46 AM »
Congrats, I also bought my boat from SportCraft and they were great to work with.   

Bruce
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Offline CanvasGuy

• ArimaOwners.com Sr. Banner Engineer
  • Fisherman
  • aka king slayer
  • View Gallery
    • Smart Custom Canvas
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 08:24:19 AM »
Congrats Dean on your purchase.. :applause:
 Since your in my home town. I would like to offer my help in anyway you may need,
 if you need to see another setup I have My Chaser here..
and can advise on some changes I have made  to mine.. :yeahthat:
either way Welcome to Arima Life.. :dance:

CGBE,Gary
Gary Smart
-1980 Hardtop Glasply Sedan"VistaCruiser" 
 http://www.smartcustomcanvas.com
“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

Offline ak-angler

• Fisherman
  • May your seas always be calm.
  • View Gallery
    • Alaska Dinner Factory
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 09:19:42 AM »
Congrats on the new boat! Don't be afraid or embarrassed to ask for help or suggestions as you're getting familiar with your new obsession. There are plenty of great folks here more than willing to lend a hand.

And, I'll second the suggestion to take the Boating Skills & Seamanship course offered by the Coast Guard Auxiliary. I haven't taken it yet, but even after having been boating with me for the past 10 years, my wife just took the course this past October/November and said it was well worth it. I'll be signing up for it in the spring.
1985 Sea Ranger 17 Skiff Top with 2012 Suzuki DF90A

2007 Cape Cruiser Marinaut 26 with twin 2006 Honda BF90's

Offline pescadore

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 09:57:00 AM »
I like the downriggers installed far enough forward that one can stand aft of them and be able to reach out to the release clips. I don't see the advantage of mounting them further aft unless it's to reduce the chance of getting the line in the prop. But I've never had that happen despite fishing some fast cross currents and making some sharp turns. I'm not saying it couldn't happen but I think the fact that Arimas have such a wide beam it makes it less likely. At most the kicker is at risk and I know some people like prop guards, or extended downrigger arms, but I extend mine only when fishing deep. 

When not in use I keep my balls in the individual scotty weight mate, sitting inside the bait wells. They are secure here and easy to access when I get to where I'm fishing.

Offline 2New

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 08:20:25 PM »
Hey everyone, thanks for all the congrats. and advice.
I will look into coast guard aux. class. thanks Rebait, AK-angler and Threeweight.

I am taking notes on downriggers from Markshorline and pescadore, Hey Mark Li Li is beautiful! Thanks for the pictures.

Rebait," slow is pro" got it. And Threeweight thanks for the connection on HDS info.

OK, CanvasGuy I would love to see "Fat Bottom Girl" with the custom pilot house. I have seen the pictures but would like to drool over her in person. Your in Carlsberg right? I will give a call soon, would like to meet you

LVRWurst , let me get this straight . You went from arima to tincan. I hope I can help bring you back from the dark side. :biggrin: Thanks for your advise, "make sure the first mate( girlfriend ) understands the procedures" well..... I will try  :shrug9:

Buy the way prescadore, I love the last sentence of your reply. There is so much I could say but probably  shouldant  :dance: I believe you that Scotty weight mate is a secure place to keep your balls or in my case Kathleens purse  :redface:

Later. 2New

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 09:35:35 PM »
I like the downriggers installed far enough forward that one can stand aft of them and be able to reach out to the release clips. I don't see the advantage of mounting them further aft unless it's to reduce the chance of getting the line in the prop.

I agree with Pescadore that the DRs should be far enough forward that you can operate them with your body in a comfortable position.  I didn't say that very well... anyway, I have the ball holders on the back of the sponson behind where the baitwell lids lift. They are really easy to lift and place into action from that position.  But toward the rear of the boat is best- look at some set ups and think about how you would use them.  I also have three ball holders in the forward part of the fishbox to keep a spare and to store the balls when traveling.

Offline TheDoctor

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 09:43:20 PM »
Very exciting, 2new. Congrats, and thanks for the detailed description. Felt like I was there!
2008 SR19 : '08 Honda BF135/BF8

Offline Hydro-Therapy

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 09:44:23 PM »
  2New ,Liverwurst actually  went Arima 15, Arima 19  , Arima 21. Recycled Beer Can.

Mark I am glad my wife does not read this forum. From your wording it would be a real a$$ lifter using those balls.

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 09:49:33 PM »
It would be a lot worse if you were standing on the fish box lid, but these jokes are way too easy!   :facepalm:

Offline J Chaser

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 10:49:02 AM »
Here's where I mounted my Scotty's on my little Chaser. As mentioned previously, there is room to stand behind the boom...

JW
Sea Chaser 1511, Yamaha F70, Yamaha F6 kicker

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 10:59:25 AM »
Nice pic JW- That's exactly where my port side is mounted.  I have the starboard a bit more to the rear, because being R handed I can operate the handle with it a few more inches back.

Offline Chuck Jones

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 12:35:35 PM »
2new:

I mounted my Big Jon electrics (mostly seen in the midwest and east coast areas) in the same place on my previous 19SR as JWard....my downriggers have a tilt up feature on them so it's easy to swing in the ball if your'e using the extended arms. As was suggested, I also mounted the swivel bases which are a really great feature to consider.  As an add on later, I incorporated the "Sure-stop" feature which shuts off the retrieve when the ball reaches the surface.  When there's action, you frequently can forget to turn it off and it will jam the ball into the top wheel.  Most of the time when fishing relatively shallow, I just use the shorter arms and haven't had any problems with snagging the kicker on sharp turns....but another factor is the weight of the ball you're using.  The lighter ones are ok for shallow fishing, but you'll get too much blowback, and that's when you can have problems with sharp turns.  I have sets of 2.5, 8, 10, and 12 pound balls to use in varying conditions.

BTW...congrats on the new boat.  I loved my 19. 

Chuck
(91) 19' Sea Ranger HT....SOLD 5/2013
(07) 21' Sea Ranger HT.....SOLD 3/2014
(05) 21' Design Concepts ...4/20/14

I often have silent thoughts in my head, but sometimes I worry about what they're thinking

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 01:30:37 PM »
Here in the Northwest you'll probably want to stick to 10# and 12# downrigger balls for Puget Sound and the ocean.  The 8# and under ones won't get much use unless you fish lakes for kokanee.

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Fishjager

• Coho
  • Visit Ballard, you will not put down Hillbillies!
  • View Gallery
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2014, 02:21:28 PM »
Congratulations on a great boat for Sekiu and Hein Bank.  I have a 17 and wish I had a 19.  But I now have mine set up the way I want it and probably would not change.
The really nice things about Arima's is the way you can launch and retrieve them by yourself.  I love mine because it is a one man operation all the way around.  Guest are optional, as you can run the boat by yourself.  But since you fish the straights I would suggest two instead.
Make sure to get a pot puller, since you are in prime crab ground!
Boatless right now

Offline GutZ

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2014, 02:43:29 PM »
Nice Boat!

I like to wear my waders when launching and retrieving. I don't wanna be one of those dorks trying to balance on the trailer to keep my feet dry.  :doh:

I have left my weight holders loose. That way I can kick them out of my way. When they are still connected to the line they stay put just fine.  I have a couple spares in the fish storage as well.
It's always good to have a plan.
It's always better to have a good plan.

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2014, 04:44:09 PM »
I wear tall waterproof boots for launching and landing.  Some Mucks' neoprene "Wetland" duck hunting boots for the cold months, and Xtratuffs in the summer. 

The Xtratuffs are very comfortable and wear like iron, but I would not buy another pair... the soles pick up pea gravel like crazy, and scratch the heck out of the boat with it. 

--- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline 2New

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2014, 05:57:05 PM »
I will be installing downriggers soon, thanks to all the advise and pictures now I know were to mount.

2New

Offline CompTime

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2014, 09:00:37 PM »
Congrats 2New !

You will be so happy with all the space you have to fish in.

My  :twocents: about the down riggers is the locations posted are great. I highly recommend to get the 60" booms. The plus to them for me was that I decided to run with 3 total. One for each guy placing the third one straight of the back on the side without the kicker. The width of the boat and the long booms really gets them separated and we have not had an issue with the #3 yet. Scotty makes a weight retriever cord you can install on the base of the downrigger that will pull your line in to an area 1' from the boat so you never have to worry about reaching them.

Other than the weight holders I have on the cuddy floor I purchased some for the rear, but never installed them because each guy on board has a 3 gallon bucket for his incoming/outgoing gear-stuff. So when the weights are out of the water they stay hooked up and just ride in a bucket. This also keeps the bucket in the rear corners and from sliding around when underway.

Enough about that you will find so many great things about the boat design and the good news is you have a gas station near you that sells NON Ethanol fuel. It will likely be more expensive, but worth every penny in the long run.

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=WA
SEA RANGER 19 /GOT-BAIT?

Offline GregE

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2014, 04:10:17 PM »
Here are several set ups on boats I've seen
 The first  was in our SL 22 ReBait.  You can see the black line grippers just forward of the swivel mounts that support the Scotty line puller mentioned above and linked.

http://www.usaboatstore.com/Scotty-3025.htm?feed=Froogle

The side  mount was for the Ace Line Hauler

« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 04:24:44 PM by ReBait »
Greg

Offline GregE

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2014, 02:06:37 PM »
Here's our set up on the Osprey, it had a 3rd DR mount on the transom but  that makes things busy if you have to manuever.  Fish are usually landed from the back corners so having ample room behind the DRs is nice.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 05:02:47 PM by ReBait »
Greg

Offline Croaker Stroker

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2014, 04:13:11 PM »

That sure is a pretty boat.  :clap:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline xplorz

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2014, 06:19:00 PM »
My downrigger bases were on the boat when I bought it and I haven't moved them. They are about as far forward along the sides as you can go, almost above the steps. What I have found in this unpopular location is it leaves a ton of room to fight and net a fish, especially fishing solo. With the guard I have on my kicker, my lines seem safe and I have had no problems tangling lines even when running lines off each side at 100 + foot setbacks for Kokanee.

Offline 2New

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2014, 07:26:18 PM »
Rebait,thanks for the great pic's. I will be mounting the scotty line puller on my set up . Defiance told me I could mount the gripper on the lower part of the dr, just above the mounting plate to save drilling more holes in the boat. seems to make sense , I hope it will work out that way.
    I am sort of locked into mounting my dr's about where the Ace line hauler mount is located in your top picture. as to cover the previous owners
         Cannon plate holes when they are removed. Hopefully that will be a good spot for the scottys.
    The bottom picture of the arima on the bunk trailer has the dr's mounted right about where mine will be and is using a hook to hold the ball when not in use while out on the water . this is something I am thinkin about also.
      Croaker Stroker is correct , that Kodak sure is purrty.

2New

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2014, 07:55:52 PM »
Xplorz,
I'd like to see a pic of your mounting location.  Seems that far forward may allow the ball to drop so that there is little risk of the props catching the wire, unless is was REALLY horizontal.

Offline CompTime

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2014, 10:48:36 PM »
2New

You will like that set up. My cord locks are mounted in that same location. The bonus is I set my plastic stoppers on my D/R weight in a spot that is the perfect length so when I pull the cord it swings the weight back to me with the D/R ball 1' away from the gunnel. I can just reach over and grab it any time. Now I use 1-2' release clip lines so none of them could reach the prop if miss handled.
SEA RANGER 19 /GOT-BAIT?

Offline GoodDays

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2014, 09:10:28 AM »
I am not a fan of using the hook on the downrigger to hold the ball when running etc.  I have a weight holder mounted on either side behind the baitwells and when tha weights are up they are in them . I tilt my down riggers up and run the line clips across to the opposite cable. seems to keep everything out of the way and no issues .  I have my stops set so that the weights are almost at the exact right distance so that when I tilt the booms, the weight swings right to me and I can place it in the holder.

My downriggers are mounted about as far aft as possible.. I don't have any issues with reaching the release clips etc..
I don't use the line puller gizmos... just tilt the boom.. or use the gaff that is always hanging nearby.

Wow that was hard to describe...

Greg

Offline pescadore

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2014, 09:50:21 AM »
Nice boat Rebait. And I love the downrigger location.

Offline xplorz

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2014, 07:59:15 AM »
Xplorz,
I'd like to see a pic of your mounting location.  Seems that far forward may allow the ball to drop so that there is little risk of the props catching the wire, unless is was REALLY horizontal.

Pardon the wire mess, thats a Trollmaster Pro2 i'm installing. The tape is showing four + feet of room to net your fish.

Offline GregE

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2014, 12:59:50 PM »
As Arimas have low gunnels you might not need the step to enter from a dock but if the boom is to the rear the whole side will be blocked.
Greg

Offline GoodDays

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2014, 01:06:10 PM »
I agree with other Greg. That is right where I step in and out. I use the frame of the canvas to steady myself. That location will work for fishing but be in the way the rest of the time.
 :twocents: for what its worth

GoodDays Greg

Offline xplorz

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2014, 01:41:20 PM »
Right now I don't have swivels.....or electrics......so I just put 'em on when I get where I'm going. Can't say I've ever needed the step to get over the Arima gunnel to the dock.  Iz zat fer short peeps?  :jester:

Offline GoodDays

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2014, 03:37:08 PM »
true if you take them on and off.. everybody has a set up that works for them !  :yeahthat:

GoodDays Greg