News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

2New's Yami 115 EFI

Started by 2New, December 28, 2013, 09:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2New

I got a call from Vince from Clemens's (Yamaha shop)  this morning with good news.  It turns out that my motor is not a 02 but an early 03 model.  It is EFI not carb.  Here's what Vince told me:
1. Computer showed 161 hrs.
2. 3 Codes came up--
•   Shift position code: was probably from trying to start motor in gear.
•   Overcooling code:  thermostat may have stuck in the open position. (SportCraft installed a new thermostat.)
•   Pulser coil code:  maybe from poor battery connection or low battery. 
All in all no serious codes came up—
3.  Compression-- was 190 lbs. All the way around
4.   Plugs –they look good but probably should be replaced on the next 100 hr. maintence.
5.   Water pump working nicely.
6.   Motor oil and lower unit oil is new (sport craft changed oil & filter)
7.   Internal and external anodes are in good condition
8.  Fuel lines are in good shape. (Sportcraft will make sure the gas is good or drain and replace if   necessary)
Vince told me that this motor has probably not seen much salt water or if it has it was flushed very well after each use.  On a scale of 1 to 10, he gave it a 9.   

Thanks to Sportcraft for taking the motor to Clemens to let the yami guys do their thing. 
The sale of the 19 SR, 115 yami EFI 4 stroke is almost wrapped up.  The Last step is a sea trial next Saturday, January 4th.   I will be at Sportcraft at 10 am.   Any of you guy's would be welcome. Extra eyes, Extra ears ( to listen to the motor), extra weight would be helpful.
Thanks, 2New    :party:

CompTime

That's great news 2new. I hope things work out for you.
SEA RANGER 19 /GOT-BAIT?

Markshoreline

Sounds like you may have one of the better 10 year old motors out there!  I had one from Portland that had been used exclusively in the Columbia River and it was in great condition at 10 years, though with 4-5 times the hours yours has.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Knucklebuster

Awesome.  Its so exciting getting a new boat.  The 19SR is a great boat, Have fun!

Seattleflyfisher

Awesome!  The EFI with that little computer knows and remembers everything. That can be good and bad right?

Good luck.

SFF

amazing grace

Congrats 2New. That sounds great. I need to find a motor like this one to replace my two stroke Yami. You should be all set.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Tom Mac

1991 Sea Ranger 17, 2014 F90 Yamaha, 2008 T8 Yamaha

BruceL2_Fish

Good for you 2New, you will love that 19SR, it is a great boat. 

Bruce
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

StreamFixer

Vince's guys know their stuff.  He runs a tight service center.  They have worked on my '03 115 for 3 years.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

Sounds like your good to go! Best Wishes  JW
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

Chief of the Boat

GregE

Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

strokersquid

jealousy,  :twocents: jealousy, :redface: more jealously

wedocq

Awesome! That motor is barely broke in at 160 hours. Ok, so here is my :twocents: With only 160 hours, I would be willing to bet that is the original impeller. That rubber impeller is 11 years old, and rubber tends to crack as it gets old. Just for S&G's, I would make replacing that impeller your first project on your new boat. It's a very simple process, and once you have done it, it will go pretty quick the next time. Congrats on a great find!
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

2New

Thanks, wedocq, for this great advice.  I will be bringing the 19SR home from Portland this weekend from sportcraft, after we take it out for a spin on the river down there.  I want to learn to do my own maintenance and changing the impeller will be job #1.  I think the motor manual comes with the boat/motor. Hopefully, I can figure it out with the manuals info.  You are right, once I do this it will get easier and lead to more confidence in other projects.
Thanks, Dean  (Happy New Year!!!!) :beerchug:

Threeweight

Congrats, sounds like you got a good one!

I would expand the impeller change to also do a basic tune up. 

Sounds like Sportcraft already gave it an oil change and new differential lube.  In addition to the impeller, I'd give it a new set of spark plugs and a new thermostat (has some rubber in it that can dry out as well).  The T-stat change will give you a good idea of what the cooling passages in the motor look like in terms of salt use (much better than the visual inspection from the outside).

Make sure she has a good water separating fuel filter to protect the motor, and that Yamaha 115 should last for years and years!
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

wedocq

Good recommendations Steve. When you are thru with these projects and are ready for more, we all love helping people spend their money (some of us might even jump in and lend a hand).  :biggrin:
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.