News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Inland passage advise?

Started by Red 22, December 28, 2013, 08:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red 22

Got the big invite today to a buddies has a home half way up the inland passage in the town of Ocean falls, BC. Plans are to take his 28' diesel tin can and my 22' SL from Port Hardy across the Queen Charlotte Sound, then up the inland passage. Any advise on tides, time of day, best route, ect. would be most helpful. We are planning to launch at the end of June.
Tony

05' Red Legend 22 skip tower, Honda 225, Honda 9.9,  Garmin 740s, Garmin HD 18 radar Garmin GHP10 auto-pilot
"I've always wanted to sail to the south seas, but I can't afford it." What these men can't afford is not to go.
-Sterling Hayden

GoodDays

Pm me :-). That's my old patrol area :-)

GoodDays Greg

Seattleflyfisher

Hydroman

Keep us informed on what you find out, been wanting to make the run from PH to Rivers Inlet in my 27' Thunder Jet OS.

Been concerned with the availability of fuel and ice. I have been looking at charts and believe I could make the run across the open water in a couple of hours on a good day.

I have fished for as many as 7 days out of Critter Cove which includes three trips to Bajo without purchasing fuel.

I would think July would be the prime time,  I have spoken to guys who have fished Rivers Inlet and that have said the fishing can be great, buts it's all in the being there at the right time.

I would like to make the run with a buddy boat for three or four days of fishing.

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

GoodDays

The trip is very do able in either the 22 or the 27 :-)

Best time to cross over is early morning. As long as conditions are decent it's only a few hours. Depending on speed of course.
You need to be a competent navigator. Radar would be nice as the area does get a bit if fog.  There is fuel in Rivers Inlet at Dawson's Landing and Duncanby Lodge. Both also have moorage , ice , stores, liquor, etc.
late July would be a decent time to fish into mid August

Be aware of the No Downriggers rule at the head of the Inlet
All of the fishing there is 6 oz or less and a cut plug.
Guys fish right tight to the beach and only out 9 to 20 pulls or so

Coho fishing can be really good too but more outside.
There is halibut fishing. Guys are tight lipped about their good spots. Just look at the chart.

There are a few closures around there.  The DFO web page is a good place to start for those

Yup will have a trip of a lifetime
Rivers Inlet is home to the largest genetic stock of Chinook salmon. There are fish there in excess of 100 pounds !! People release 30 pounders as too small !

Remember though that this is the Sheep Hunting of fishing. Not everyone gets the big one !

StreamFixer

What I have read suggests (actually comes right out and says it) the Queen Charlotte Sounds are often deadly.  PLEASE be sure you are ready and take care.

Good Days will likely have a great deal of useful information.  Patrolling an area tends to do that.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Red 22

"The Queen Charlotte Sounds are often deadly", Hence my concern Steamfixer. I think I'm an experienced Sailor having sailed the Greek Islands, Tonga and boat delivery to Florida from San Diego via the Panama Canal, however two places scare me - the Queen Charlotte sound and the entrance to the  San Francisco Bay. 

"if we listen to other sailors horror stories we'll never leave the dock..." Capt' John Jones
Tony

05' Red Legend 22 skip tower, Honda 225, Honda 9.9,  Garmin 740s, Garmin HD 18 radar Garmin GHP10 auto-pilot
"I've always wanted to sail to the south seas, but I can't afford it." What these men can't afford is not to go.
-Sterling Hayden

GoodDays

I have crossed in 17 foot boats up to large off shore draggers. Sometimes it's a mill pond. Sometimes it's deadly.  Be aware of the weather, pay attention and pick your days.

Ocean Falls is really cool !  Like a sci fi movie set. Basically an abandoned town.
Good services in Bella Bella and Shearwater
Fuel bait ice accommodation repairs liquor etc.  good restaurant etc.

Of course prices are in line with what one would expect in a remote Canadian wilderness

Markshoreline

Beauty is always a bargain!  Sounds like paradise.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9