Author Topic: 2New: Looking for advice on 19 Sr  (Read 2487 times)

Offline First Cabin

Re: 2New: Looking for advice on 19 Sr
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2013, 09:12:00 PM »
Did I see that this deal is done?

Dean, with the 2 pictures we see this looks like a nice boat. But, before you hand money over we still have almost 3 months of very nice deals from home owners. If you love it then buy it! But.....you might end up seeing some of the same a few thousand less from a home owner and not a dealer. Good luck!

If the deal is done.....get as much extra as you can. The wheel bearings replaced or repacked, new tires. ANYthing....get as much as you can get. I say this because this is a very nice deal for the dealer as well.

P.S.    It looks nice!

SFF

Great advice!  Seeing as you need to tow this to take it home, it really is imperative that that trailer bearings are good as new.  Make sure they send you home with fresh bearings and tuned engines!
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Seattleflyfisher

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2013, 09:24:24 PM »
The more I think about it I would have a little list and I might even ask for Trim tabs that Arima sells. I think they are around $400.

My list.

1: new bearings.
2: new tires, not the cheap ones.
3: engine tuned.
4: gas tank flushed somehow, new gas?  Old gas out!
5: new gas.
6: trim tabs.

Am I nuts :shrug9:

Online Markshoreline

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2013, 09:35:49 PM »
I had a 2001 F100 that was carbed, must have been one of the last ones....
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Offline First Cabin

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2013, 09:35:57 PM »
The more I think about it I would have a little list and I might even ask for Trim tabs that Arima sells. I think they are around $400.

My list.

1: new bearings.
2: new tires, not the cheap ones.
3: engine tuned.
4: gas tank flushed somehow, new gas?  Old gas out!
5: new gas.
6: trim tabs.

Am I nuts :shrug9:

I'm with you Darren.  A new boat owner shouldn't face any avoidable surprises.

To add to the list:

New impeller!!!

These things won't break the deal as shops aren't busy this time of year. 

My suggestion is to close the deal conditional on some good service items so that when spring comes, you know the boat AND trailer are ready to go!
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Online Markshoreline

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2013, 09:53:14 PM »
ej,
That's a great list, especially siphoning out all the old fuel in each of the tanks and replacing the impeller.
Of course, the purchaser would have already checked every mechanical system including horns, bilge pumps, lights, motors, etc.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Seattleflyfisher

« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2013, 11:21:17 PM »
If I was looking at a boat over 20k I would also look at this to see if a deal could be made.

Not sure if this is still out there. It was on ebay with no sale.

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/bod/4195165581.html

SFF
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 11:38:30 PM by Seattleflyfisher »

Offline 2New

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2013, 05:48:06 AM »
Ok guys, I will call sport craft and see what they will do about the bearings, tires, engine tune, gas, trim tabs that Arima sells and the impeller.  I am concerned about this motor not being EFI.  Maybe sport craft told me it was by mistake.  If this turns out to be a carb motor, it may be a deal breaker.

Thanks for your advice and help, 2New

Seattleflyfisher

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2013, 06:54:26 AM »
Dean, yeah this clearly is a better deal with a EFI motor. A carb leaning $400 to $600 and a EFI cleaning I think is $1500. Bad gas will hurt big time. Hmmmm carb motor for 21k?

SFF

Offline amazing grace

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2013, 07:48:21 AM »
Here is another way to look at it. The reality as we pretty much know it. Probably not going to throw things in the deal like Trim tabs and what have you.

If the purchase price is $22k.
The motor and controls on the low side would be $4k.
Is the boat, trailer, electronics and other items included be worth $18k?

My opinioin for a boat of that year, in that condition with known history I would say, yes.
Try to find a better deal now.

I would feel better if the boat was sitting at a good Yamaha dealer vs the Honda/Suzuki dealer, but it is not like Sportcraft has never seen a Yamaha.

It is rare to find a used boat package that has every single thing exactly like you would want it. :doh:

2New, I am not trying to talk you into it. As Russ keep's say'in. It is just one man's opinion.     

1989 22' C-Dory Angler

Offline blindmonkey

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2013, 09:39:36 AM »
I would think they would know for sure if its carbs or efi by simply looking at it with cowling off.
Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

Offline LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

• Fisherman
  • 17 SC Sold Currently Arimaless
  • View Gallery
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2013, 10:00:32 AM »
Down here, most used boats with dealers are on consignment with dealer taking a 10% commission. It's up to the dealer to take the offer to the seller and often the dealer has some influence or recommendation to the seller.
2New.......
So if the asking price is 22K that's only a 2.2K commission to the dealer. Lets say you offerred the dealer 18K cash right away....the commish to the dealer 1.8K which is only 400.00 less commish to the dealer. In working with dealers, I have often found that maintaining a good relationship with the dealer rep will help you cement a better deal......to add extras out of the dealer's pocket (unless the dealer owns the boat) is not the best approach.
Just sayin.....and good luck. JW

Recent known sales to me:
1992 19 Sea Ranger Hardtop - Honda 150 4 S - Honda 9.9 4s full electronics -custom canvas    24k.
2001 21 SR Skip T  Yami 150 4s  Yami 9.9 4s Full Electroncis Radar Etc    Buy 25K refurb update sell 35K
89 19 SR Skip   150 2 Stroke 9.9 Honda 4 S ---  buy 11.5  refurb    - part out  - sell 10.5k
89  17 Chaser (rough shape) newer 90 Yam 4S dealer asking was 8500 it sold for 5500.

19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2013, 10:02:09 AM »
IMO, that is a pretty good price from a dealer (particularly a reputable dealer that knows Arimas.)  Comparing what a dealer may sell a boat for to the screaming deals folks can occasionally get from a private seller is problematic.

If this boat is on consignment, Sportcraft is under no pressure to move it quickly, other than space on their lot (of which they have plenty).  It is up to the owner as to how much they are willing to drop the price.  Sportcraft also knows that if someone is looking to finance a boat, a sale through a dealer like them is much easier.  Finally, buying a used boat from a private party is a lot riskier than a reputable dealer (Sportcraft isn't going to sell you a boat with a major engine problem then run for hills when it pops up).  My guess is they are very firm on price because they can easily sit on it till spring or summer, and they know these things to.

Better $$ deals do pop up, but you have to be ready to pounce when they do.  As in, make a cash offer over the phone the first time you talk to the owner.  So it kind of comes down to how much risk you want to assume, and how free you are to jump in the truck and drive 500 miles to pick up a boat.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Seattleflyfisher

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »
Dean, as you can see we all have been where you are at now. Take advantage of this boat being at a dealer and see if they will work with you on extras. Steve is right about the dealer can just sit on the boat. An empty lot is not good! Maybe they will work with you on the little things on my list ie bearings, tires or even a tune up. I hope this works out for you. Love it or walk away!

I would also take a second and think about the fuel in the tank. Remember they are your friends right now and there shop might help with taking out the old gas.

SFF

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2013, 10:30:54 AM »
And yet another thing to keep in mind.  January and February are the really slow times for boat salesmen.  Bills are constant, commissions are seasonal.  The auto industry has the same problem -- Sales in Jan. and Feb. are tough.  I suggest that Hydro-Therapy can speak with the most authority on how to proceed with dealer sales as he has done that for several years.

When the boat shows begin, the dealer sales pick-up.  Then there are trade-ins and sellers (buying the new boat) who think they can get a better deal selling their old boat themselves.

Perhaps I am trying to suggest, the best time to buy a boat is that brief moment when you find the boat you are looking for and it happens to be for sale for the same amount you can afford to spend.....   :biggrin:

StreamFixer
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

Offline 2New

« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2013, 05:43:58 PM »
Hey everybody, just got home from work, sat down an read all your reply's.  A lot of good advise to digest.  For starters, this arima was for sale at 23,950.  We have an agreement for me to buy at 22k.  If the motor checks out and the sea trial goes ok.   So I am a little timid about asking for extra's except for new tires and bearings.  I called sport craft this morning, to reconfirm EFI, they said yes, it is.  Sport craft is taking the boat /motor over to Clemmins , they will down load computer info. and contact me directly, with info.   After Clemmins, get's back to me I will ask them to go over the motor from top to bottom, and tell me how much it will cost to get it in top running order.  The cost to repairs/tune up, should be deducted from my 22k agreement, if the seller agrees.  Oh yea, I want either sport craft or Clemmins to make sure the gas is good.  Sport craft did tell me that they put stabilizer additive in gas already.  IMHO, this armia is sweet, and I think the Yamaha has good potential.  (We'll soon know).  22k is a lot, but I don't think that I would regret if the motor pans out.  I will let you know what I hear from Clemmins.  Thanks, 2New

Offline LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

• Fisherman
  • 17 SC Sold Currently Arimaless
  • View Gallery
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2013, 10:44:34 PM »
2New.....way to go....sounds like it will all work out for you.   JW

Does your new boat have the optional 10 gal side tanks? If so, one needs to make sure they get drained, too.
For the future FYI  my mechanic will not work on any of my newly acquired boats unless I drain the tank(s) and refill with Chevron 89. One can always burn the old fuel in the car as long as it not a gas-oil mix.

19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

Offline BruceL2_Fish

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2013, 12:38:40 AM »
2new, I bought my boat from SportCraft, those folks have treated me very well.  I had a couple of problems with the boat and Ryan went out of his way to make sure things were handled properly and corrected.  One of the best experiences I have had with a boat dealer and service center.   

Bruce.
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Offline strokersquid

« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2013, 06:58:50 PM »
2New.....way to go....sounds like it will all work out for you.   JW

Does your new boat have the optional 10 gal side tanks? If so, one needs to make sure they get drained, too.
For the future FYI  my mechanic will not work on any of my newly acquired boats unless I drain the tank(s) and refill with Chevron 89. One can always burn the old fuel in the car as long as it not a gas-oil mix.
liver if you see another 19' skip or hard top let me know, i'm only a couple hours away and with all the space 14 crab traps take up i would love the extra 2 feet. i do love my 17 SR skip, i just want more of it !