Author Topic: 2New: Looking for advice on 19 Sr  (Read 2351 times)

Offline 2New

2New: Looking for advice on 19 Sr
« on: December 25, 2013, 10:00:12 PM »
Hi, I would appreciate some advice and comments as I am 2New and only know enough to get myself into trouble.  The Arima I am looking at is a 2002, 19 SR with a 115 HP 4 stroke Yamaha which I think is also a 2002.  I do not know how many hours. No kicker, Lowrance HDS8, good canvas, the boat and trailer seems to be in very good condition.  I have made an offer of 21 K., depending on the motor being inspected by a mechanic and a water trial.
Question:  Is my offer reasonable?  Is the 2002 Yamaha a good motor?  Could the motor computed be down loaded to get the hours and other info?
Thanks, 2New

Offline Hydro-Therapy

Re: 2New: Looking for advice on 19 Sr
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 10:54:56 PM »

2New you seem to be on the right track. For the price ,what ever you feel is a good deal is all that matters. The motor, a Yamaha shop should be able to give you a hard copy of all the info in the motor . hours, codes, overheats etc. Good Luck on the purchase.

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

Offline Salmon King

• Fisherman
  • Fly your flag proudly and thank a veteran!
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 11:06:52 PM »
2new...

When you get that motor checked at the shop you may want to ask them if the motor can be connected into an NMEA2000 NETWORK.
That way you can see the motor info on your HDS8.

PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
9’ Pontoon (Bismarck)
8’ Pontoon (Hood)

Seattleflyfisher

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 11:48:49 PM »
Will this motor have a computer to tell the history? Year 2002 a am not sure you can get that history. Am I wrong here?

SFF

Offline fishorcrab

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 12:35:04 AM »
Thie BOE Marine site has some interesting info on various outboards and NMEA 2000 network.  Interesting that a Lowrance display is required for NMEA 2000 configuration on several of them.

http://www.boemarine.com/nmea2000-for-your-engine/

Paul
SC16 Yamaha 4s 90
SP17 Honda 4s 90  - Croaker made me do it. :)

Offline finfinn

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 04:58:06 AM »
Assuming the boat comes with an OK trailer your price is in the ballpark. Of course with the arrival of the boat shows and spring the price is likely to go up, not down :twocents:.
Had a glorious SR19 Finnesse.
You can not change the length of your life, but boating does increase its width and depth.

Offline Chief of the Boat

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 05:42:37 AM »
Dean,
Is this boat at Sportcraft Marina in Oregon?  It has been on the market for a  while.  I am surprised it has not sold, 1 owner, looks clean and the trailer has brakes.   I think that is a good price.  If it is fuel injected, I would assume it has a computer.   If can be networked to your HDS-8 you can display valuable information.
 :twocents:
Terry
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 06:27:23 AM by Chief of the Boat »
1994 Sea Explorer 1511 loves whitecaps 2010 Yamaha F-70 2012 Yamaha F-8 with a  Fixed SaltBoss Bracket Lowrance HDS-5 & 7 Gen 2 Standard Horizon Fixed VHF 2150 with AIS

Offline 2New

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 05:57:24 AM »
Hi everybody! Wow! Thanks for all the quick responses.  By the way I hope you saw my post on Introducing myself.  Ok, about the boat it is on craigslist in Portland at Sportscraft. I"m sure you have all been looking at it.  Apparently they do not have a way to check the hours/history on the Yamaha.  Could anyone recommend a Yamaha mechanic that would go there to do that for me or do I have to take it to a Yamaha shop myself.  Yes, the trailer is in good condition.  No rust, has brakes, it is a single axel, galvanize channel frame? ( looks like a 3 sided I-beam ).  Does this make any sense? Also, I know the prices will be going up in the spring, so I am hoping to get my Arima soon.    Thanks, 2New  (Merry Christmas everyone!)  :beerchug:

Offline fishorcrab

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 08:06:19 AM »
I highly recommend the Inflatable Boat Center for engine work. Their mechanic maintains my 2006 Yamaha 90 and was able to get my formerly working Suzuki kicker going again after the 1 yr service at the Suzi dealer resulted in an unusable kicker.

Don't know what arrangement you can make but http://www.inflatableboats.com does great outboard work.

Paul
SC16 Yamaha 4s 90
SP17 Honda 4s 90  - Croaker made me do it. :)

Offline amazing grace

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 08:08:56 AM »
No expert on Yamaha but think SFF has it right. Don't think you are going to get any engine hour data type info from a computer in it. Don't think Yamaha or any other four stroke was efi at that time either. The boat sounds nice. Price sounds right. Not sure what they are asking. That is a twelve year old motor which in my mind is right about the cutoff for me where I would be concerned about it in terms of a used motor. If the boat is in good conditon it probably does not have a ton of hours. With one owner one should be able to get an idea on them. Hope you get it 2new.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 08:19:16 AM »
2New

Sportcraft has been around for a long time and has a good reputation.  You can have them do a reliable check of the motor.  Or drag it a few miles south to Clemens (talk to Vince).  It's about the same distance to IBC as Clemens and both will do reliable work.  And, as you will quickly learn, all boat shops are expensive.

The next couple of months are prime boat buying time in the Portland area.  Once the springer's start running, the prices will be heading upstream too.

That being said, I have concluded that the best time to buy a boat is when you find what you think you want accompanied by a deal you are comfortable with and can afford. 

As you have probably noticed, this is not necessarily the best place to ask if a deal is a good fit for you or not.  However, you will indeed get a heck of a lot of advice that is worth every penny you pay for it.  Some will be worth even more  :clap:

Every one remembers the fantastic deal they got back when, and the follow up work that came with it  :facepalm: .  AS the adage goes, 'your mileage may vary'. 

Best of luck with your boat acquisition adventure and be sure to keep us well informed, pictures too...

StreamFixer
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 09:50:36 AM by StreamFixer »
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

Offline LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

• Fisherman
  • 17 SC Sold Currently Arimaless
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 09:22:02 AM »
2New......ah, what do I know....3 arimas later. All good advice by others on our site. I looked up the ad and wouldn't hesitate to make your offer subject to Sea Trial. The 19 is a great all around hull. The Yami vintage doesn't scare me even with say up to a 1,00 hours.  Based on the looks overall, it appears to have been well kept and the hull is the newer style. the C Channel trailer frame has the EZ loader tube type beat to hell. The single axle will offer you more & easier maneuverabilty vs the dual axle. However, many of the 19's sold on single axle trailers (loaded out with gear, etc.) are pushing the max trailer capacity, so I'd double check the trailer Vin # and what the trailer is rated at.......I don't think I'd wait too long on this one. Best wishes for a bright new boating season....J Doo Dad

ps i forgot....looks like cable steering. Lower that motor and make sure the wheel turns easily. I'd be inclined to replace with Hydraulic Steering even though the size of the motor is reasonable for the existing steering.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 09:27:03 AM by LvrWurst 21 SR Skip »
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

Offline Danno

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 09:43:40 AM »
I too think your offer is fair and also think they'd be very unlikely to go anything less. It does not have a kicker but has the good OMC bracket. Make sure the gas cylinder on the bracket is still worthy of holding a 115# kicker. It should pull up easily and push down with just a bit of resistance.

If that is an EZ Loader trailer, you can send an email to EZ Loader with the VIN and they will confirm the capacity. With standard tires, the max load of an EZ Loader single axle is something like 2900#. With upgraded tires, they'll list it out at 3300# if that VIN corresponds to their maximum capacity single axle trailer.

I will also not that if that's an EZ Loader trailer, it is a pre-1993 model. They went to plastic fenders in 1993. Seems strange they would have a trailer  on there that's 10 years older than the boat. That's a good negotiating point for getting the price down.

If you want a second pair of eyes to look at it, I could meet you down there sometime this week as I have some time off.
Previously owned a 1998 19' SR

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 09:56:26 AM »
Pretty sure that is a Pacific trailer, made in Northern California.  Had one under my 1994 17SC (Caston has it now) and was satisfied with it.  I had to replace the fenders as they had rusted out.  Reasonable service from the factory.

StreamFixer
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2013, 02:23:38 PM »
Re: that OMC kicker bracket... that's the heavy duty one.  If the piston is in good shape, it will be VERY hard to push it down with no kicker on it (that's the way you want it!) 

As has been mentioned, Sportcraft has a good reputation, but they don't sell/service Yamahas.  I would go with Inflatable Boat Center if they are available to do a mechanical inspection.  I've had mixed experiences with Clemens in the past (but good experiences with Sportcraft's mechanics).

re: hours... here's a trick Suzuki uses, not sure if Yamaha does it.  Turn the key to the "on" position, but not all the way to crank.  On a Suzuki, the engine's computer will do it's self test and beep at you, then the needle on the tach will jump up to the rough hours on the motor (so 1000 RPM = 100 hours, 5000 rpm = 500 hours).  Not sure if Yamaha does it, but could be worth a shot.

Nice looking boat!  Hope it works out for you.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2013, 05:23:12 PM »
3Rivers Marine service told me that engine data on non efi Yamahas is not available.  Compression test would be the best bet in addition to visual inspection and of course, on the water testing.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Offline 2New

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2013, 06:03:32 PM »
Hi, and thanks again guys for all your responses, they are much appreciated.  Thanks, Danno for offering the second set of eyes.  I probably wont be traveling from Sequim to Portland until we do the sea trial.  I have been on the phone with Sport craft today and we struck a deal for 22k depending on the motor checking out and a sea trial.  Sport craft told me it has 185 hrs. and the seller had them do oil and filter change.  I paid 150 to have a Yamaha guy run a computer print out for me.  If any codes pop up I may take it to inflatable boat center for further examination.  Otherwise I will probably just have a sport craft mechanic check the plugs, fuel lines, ect.  Also, I was told today that this motor is an electronic fuel injected motor.  By the way, sport craft did a compression test and said it had good compression but I cant remember the numbers right now.  The trailer does have plastic fenders, I will check out the kicker brackets and the cable steering.  Amazing grace- I think the Yamaha is a 2002.  Sport craft says it EFI.  I sure hope it is.  Hopefully everything will check out ok and I will be down for a sea trial soon..  Anyone interested in a boat ride? 
Thanks, Dean

Seattleflyfisher

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2013, 06:43:30 PM »
Dean, have you thought about getting that boat to Saltboss for a fixed kicker bracket?

SFF

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2013, 07:14:08 PM »
If they can get an hour reading from the motor it must be one of the late 2002 115 FI models which is a good thing.  However, if you purchase it you will need to replace all the fuel lines with modern hoses that are impervious to ethanol and change the filters over to the screw on type such as Racor brand.

This looks from the ad that the boat is low hours and in good condition, however, it appears to be about 15-20% overpriced, so I would work on that if I were purchasing.  FWW
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 07:26:36 PM by markshoreline »

Offline 2New

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2013, 07:31:44 PM »
SFF-- I have looked at the salt boss fixed kicker bracket. I like it.  It will be on my to do list for sure.  Hope the bracket that is on there will work for now.

Markshorline-- Replace all the fuel lines, yea, I have read about the ethanol issues, maybe this is something I could do myself.  You are probably right about over priced but it is a very nice Arima and seems to be the best deal going right now.

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2013, 08:02:01 PM »
Just for perspective, a nice 21 was recently purchased on this site for 22k and we are now in the dead of winter.  If you want to save a few thousand you could negotiate with the seller, or better deals are almost always available from owners rather than dealers who take a commission on the sales.  Better deals really do come around, and for the savings on this price you can get a new kicker to go on a bracket.
Just sayin'!

Offline CompTime

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2013, 08:18:42 PM »
The good news is even if you do pay a premium price you will still love that boat. I payed an OK price for mine and due to all the good things about the complete setup I'm 100% happy. After fishing from a skinny 16 footer for so long I'm still blown away as to how much deck space I have and a great place to store anything that gets in my way when fishing.

This is a great time to buy. You will have all your test runs, learning to launch it and equipment on board and ready to fish when the fishing gets hot.

I hope your deal works out well.
SEA RANGER 19 /GOT-BAIT?

Offline strokersquid

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2013, 08:24:59 PM »
hmmm i thought all 2002s were carb models. maybe just the 100 HP f100s.

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2013, 08:56:43 PM »
The kicker bracket on the boat is the very best hydraulic/adjustable bracket made... MUCH better than Garelicks or any other brand.  I love the Saltboss brackets, but I think you will be very pleased w/ the bracket already on the boat.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Seattleflyfisher

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2013, 09:07:23 PM »
Did I see that this deal is done?

Dean, with the 2 pictures we see this looks like a nice boat. But, before you hand money over we still have almost 3 months of very nice deals from home owners. If you love it then buy it! But.....you might end up seeing some of the same a few thousand less from a home owner and not a dealer. Good luck!

If the deal is done.....get as much extra as you can. The wheel bearings replaced or repacked, new tires. ANYthing....get as much as you can get. I say this because this is a very nice deal for the dealer as well.

P.S.    It looks nice!

SFF