News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Yamaha 703 mounting location: good or bad, suggestions wanted...

Started by yellowlab, December 25, 2013, 07:51:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowlab

I'll need to get longer throttle an shifter cables but the control cable itself is short to make the run on my 21' SR. I've had other 703's mounted inside the cabin on my previous boats and they seem be be in the way of the helm seat, get tapped inadvertently by the operator(s) which trigger the trim when leaning next to it or turning the seat back. What's your opinion on the proposed location that on the starboard side? It clears the step and is flush with the gunnel. When kicker not in use the control could be swept to be out of the way. I can still operate the throttle from the helm position by flipping the seat 180 degrees and easier to control the speed and view the dowringger cable and rods with this location. I'll still need to buy some longer throttle cables as the ones I have are too short, does anyone know if those are stock lengths they sell? Ill  need enough to reach a fixed T8 on the port side. Yes the box would be subject to exposing on the elements but I think these things are made to be installed on open boats and otherwise pretty well sealed?
21' Sea Ranger Skip Tower, 150 VTEC FI Honda, Salt Boss with Yamaha T8 on 703 controller, hot box plumbed and Marine Tech P2. Solas 4-blade 14.75x15 aluminum prop.

My First Arima was a 17' Sea Chaser Skip Tower with Honda 90 and 8  kicker

Hydro-Therapy

I personally do not care for the location at all. Since you cannot stack them for use as a dual control I would mount it below your main control. For 2 reasons , 1 When steering your kicker from the helm you want the control at the helm.2 Set back on the side like that it would be a line cutter when fighting a fish,(another thing murphy to get tangled up on) . If you want throttle control from the back area ,put a Troll Master on and you will have the best throttle control you could ask for.(Put one on no matter where you mount your remote control.)

You would have to be a contortionist  to have your steering and throttle that far apart.

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

fishorcrab

Yellowlab,

You might consider mounting it below your main control and add a Trollmaster to control kicker throttle and perhaps steering while trolling.
http://www.marinetechproducts.com/pages/TrollMasterHome/

You will still need new longer cables but it should get the 703 out of the way and yet make it more accessible if your main failed and you were docking with the kicker.

Remember, it's always a service of this forum to help members spend their money.  :whistle:

Paul
Dang! Must be a slow typist this morning. H-T beat me to it.
SC16 Yamaha 4s 90
SP17 Honda 4s 90  - Croaker made me do it. :)

yellowlab

Thanks for the ideas, I may have to suck it up and get the Marine Tech throttle and steering remotes. I see $$$ in the future. Since my boat has saddle tanks the mount for the 703 might be tight up higher unless I disassemble the starboard and flush mount the bolts as to not pierce the fuel tank.
21' Sea Ranger Skip Tower, 150 VTEC FI Honda, Salt Boss with Yamaha T8 on 703 controller, hot box plumbed and Marine Tech P2. Solas 4-blade 14.75x15 aluminum prop.

StreamFixer

No adhesive involved with taking the starboard apart and re-assembling, just screws.  I would recommend you strongly consider that alternative.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

yellowlab

That's what I thought... Oh well, will need to get a 10-pin extension and longer cables. I guess I'll deal with the TrollMaster and Panther remote steer once I have things running. Until then, manual throttle and EZ Steer will have to suffice for the 2014 season. Thanks all!

ak-angler

I don't know anything about thisn particular subject. But, since I also missed your other thread ...... Welcome to the Arima Owners forum!
1985 Sea Ranger 17 Skiff Top with 2012 Suzuki DF90A - Sold

2007 Cape Cruiser Marinaut 26 with twin 2006 Honda BF90's

yellowlab

Quote from: ak-angler on December 25, 2013, 11:02:27 AM
I don't know anything about thisn particular subject. But, since I also missed your other thread ...... Welcome to the Arima Owners forum!

Thanks, not new to Arima but new to the forum. My previous Boat was a 17 Sea Chaser with skip tower and Honda 90/8 kicker on hydro bracket. I regret selling that until I found my upgrade. I went to a Hewescraft, and Grady to only return to an Arima.

muddman

I moved main control forward and the kicker one behind it , both up high and out of the way . I can control both very easy sitting down . This is on a 21 SR

1986 17' SC 115 Yamaha F8 kicker Sold
2005 21' SR Hardtop F150 2016 9.9 kicker
1994 19' Sea Chaser 2016 Mercury 115 Sold
2007 21SR Hardtop F150 + F8 -Sold
1990 15' 11" Sea Explorer 2010 F70 -Sold

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

My friend chuck has the same configuration as Muddman and compared to what I had on my 21, I like the stacked (hi-low) configuration. We mounted an aluminum plate below the main controls and mounted the kicker control below that. It worked out just fine, but then again....different strokes for different folks. JW
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

croaker stroker

Hear that JW ?  Arima..... to Hewescraft....back to Arima. 

The circle of life.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

yellowlab

Just a report to close the thread on my question. I ended up having to get a pair of 20' throttle cables and 6' 10 pin extension to make it work. I am happy with the location and look forward to the new fishing year with my new boat and fresh modifications. Thanks to all who chimed in and to Salt Boss for a nice product!

GregE

Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait