News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

90 hp 4 stroke on. 19 ft ?

Started by Craneman, December 23, 2013, 04:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craneman

A friend of mine is considering a 19 ft arima with a 90 hp Suzuki . Is that enough ponies????

Moe
91 15 ft Sea Hunter
45 hp Honda
4 hp Yamaha

Hydro-Therapy

It is minimal power for a 19. Danno had one that way, but I would think a 115 would be more adequate, like most of us have.

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

Caston

From what I've read it sounds like a 90hp will push the 19' Arimas better than the 17's. I can't imagine a 19' would weigh much more than a 17' and they are better balanced so it seems at least feasible. Is this possible or am I imagining things?

If so I'm sure the 115hp would be preferable but 90hp should be sufficient. My 90hp pushes the SC17 just fine.

'94 Sea Chaser 17
'97 Honda 90
'99 Honda 8
everyone goes home

Seattleflyfisher

I would never walk away from a good 19' with a 90hp motor on it.

SFF

amazing grace

It will be under powered. Will it work, yes. Will he want more power? Yes. Will he be money ahead by waiting for one with 115 to 140hp power?. Yes,  unless he buys it cheap enough to sell the 90hp and upgrade to the tune of approx $4k. My opinion of course.  :smile1:
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

SRanger

One 19 HT (that I know of) feels 1000 lbs heavier than the old 17 ragtop. 

Pump 40 gals of gas in the tank.  Have the bilge pump break, and a diligent sister inlaw pour 20 gals of water over the deck thru the course of a day,  just to keep things looking clean and shiny of course.  Add a fat ass brother who doubts you,  standing at the stern.  2-3 ft chop with skies darkening.  Then try and get on plane with an old BF130.  It will get there eventually...but it feels like forever waiting for it.

The 130 could probably benefit from a decent prop.  But anytime I have to ask (or tell) someone to move forward, or consider if filling the fuel tank is really necessary.  That is a sign to me that my equipment is not up to the task.  All about knowing the conditions and capabilities.  My  :twocents:

SR
99 19' Arima Sea Ranger HT,  Honda BF130/BF8.
88 17' Arima Sea Ranger ST,  Yamaha F80/Merc 8 (sold)

Seattleflyfisher

A nice 90hp could go from 3 to 4k depending on condition. Double that and you are getting close to a new 115 Hp motor. I paid $8900 for my new Yamaha 2012 115.

SFF

StreamFixer

Of course the answer really is "It all depends"

Gracie has his opinions as do several others.  However, it's not their boat and their expectations may not be yours.

If you are not planning on long offshore trips in sometimes not the greatest conditions, a 90 may be enough.  If you are going to be hauling 500# ice, 20 to 30 gallons of extra fuel and 3 or 4 largish fellows 40 miles out for TUNA!  90 may not be enough.

However, if you are going to spending your time in the sound during reasonable conditions, on lakes, bays or rivers, 90 will likely do you fine.

These are questions you need to address.  While the opinion of others on here are always freely offered, they really are not the guy responsible for making your boat do what you want it to do.

I would run your current set up for a season, or at least part of a season, to see if your expectations are being met.  You can always spend money on an up grade.  However, there are lots of upgrades you will likely be considering in the fairly near future.  And if your motor is serving your purposes, that will leave a lot more $$$ for those other projects.

Here again, it's just my opinion, but it's worth every penny you pay for it.    :twocents:

StreamFixer

'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Hydro-Therapy

Streamfixer when did you become so political correct ???

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

StreamFixer

Perhaps after actually listening to some of the advice offered on this board   :shrug9:

Or, perhaps worse yet, listening to my own  :facepalm: :hoboy:

We must always remember Woody and my motto  "Friends don't let friends do STUPID things ----- ALONE"   :wink:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Seattleflyfisher

Also, you can listen just to me and add some kind of trim tabs and that will help to get on plane faster. Then after a season you will know if you need more guts.

This is just between you and I.

SFF

ak-angler

There's an easy way to tell if a particular setup will meet your expectations - take it for a sea trial and see how it performs.

(Oh, I forgot... some folks here seem to think that anybody wanting a sea trial is just a bum looking for a free boat ride.  :berry: :wink:)
1985 Sea Ranger 17 Skiff Top with 2012 Suzuki DF90A - Sold

2007 Cape Cruiser Marinaut 26 with twin 2006 Honda BF90's

Threeweight

It all comes down to how you will use it.  Will he typically fish with just a couple guys?  Or does he fish with 3 buddies, crab pots, coolers, and camping gear?

Lots of 19' Arima's out there with 90's, and they do fine.  115's will have more power for getting on plane with a heavy load, and for climbing swells on the ocean.

What kind of motor also makes a difference.  I'd take a late model 19' in great shape with a fuel injected 90 4 stroke over an older Arima 19' with a carbed 115 two stroke any day of the week and twice on Tuesdays.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

amazing grace

I'd take a late model 19' in great shape with a fuel injected 90 4 stroke over an older Arima 19' with a carbed 115 two stroke any day of the week and twice on Tuesdays.

Especially if they were the same price :stooges: :whistle:

1989 22' C-Dory Angler

AlAdams

I have at 17 Ranger with a 90 Honda. When I'm really loaded down it can take a bit to get up on plane. I have InstaTrim tabs to install to help with that and to help with the listing when I'm not balanced correctly. The boat, not me!  There's no correcting me.  Anyway, my thought is if your friend picks up that deal it might be worthwhile to install trim tabs to get him out of the hole.  Once on plane the 90 should scoot him along nicely.
You can't trust water, even a straight stick will turn crooked in it - WC Fields

'04 SR 21' w/Skip Tower  '04 Honda 130' '16 Honda 9.9

strokersquid

May need a much lower prop pitch for a 90. The f100 I had on my 17SR seemed to be struggling until I dropped the pitch from 19 to 17. Even with trim tabs  it was sluggish with the 19. The best prop pitch would likely be 15 . Maybe a 13 on a 19 ft SR with a 90 hp

Danno

Quote from: strokersquid on December 24, 2013, 02:53:13 PM
May need a much lower prop pitch for a 90. The f100 I had on my 17SR seemed to be struggling until I dropped the pitch from 19 to 17. Even with trim tabs  it was sluggish with the 19. The best prop pitch would likely be 15 . Maybe a 13 on a 19 ft SR with a 90 hp

I had a 13 3/4" diameter x 17" [itch prop on my 19' SR with a Honda 90 (cabred, not injected) and it work pretty well. I went to a 15" pitch and it was great. I couldn't imagine using a 13" pitch. Too much torque and not enough prop. I would expect there to be a lot of prop slippage with a 13" prop.

I never did a tuna run so running with 3 people, 47 gallon of gas and 250# of ice never happened. FOr river fishing in Oregon, it was a great setup. Remember that going to a 115hp adds another 110# to the outboard with only an additional 25hp. The benefits don't out weigh the costs unless the boat came that way or you're repowering. I wouldn't hesitate to own a 19'SR with a Honda 90 but would go with a 115 or preferably, a 135 if buying a new outboard for a 19'SR.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

Seattleflyfisher

wedocq

Quote from: amazing grace on December 23, 2013, 05:27:05 PM
It will be under powered. Will it work, yes. Will he want more power? Yes. Will he be money ahead by waiting for one with 115 to 140hp power?. Yes

I strongly disagree. My definition of under powered would be a boat that struggles to get on plane when loaded with gear and fisherman. This is by far not the case with a 19' Arima and a 90hp. This very boat was what inspired me to buy an Arima. My buddy has had this exact boat for 15 plus years. We have taken 4 guys to 72 Square (40 miles out in the Pacific) and have loaded the boat up with halibut, lingcod and bottom fish to the point we have fish coming out of every nook and cranny. Still no problems planning, and/or dealing with big water. 
-Shawn

2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

amazing grace

Well gee doc. The "strongly disagree" comes as no surprise. :facepalm: As I am begining to think I have a stalker. :hoboy:
Those of us that have 19SR's with 115hp power just dont see having less power as something that is desirable. Kind of like guys with 17's and 90hp. Don't feel like a 75hp is the optimal motor for that boat. It does work though.

Glad you feel like your buddies is a great set up. Sounds like it gets the job done.

If this 90hp/19' stuff keeps up I my have to grab a 90hp four stroke and try it on my 19st if one pops up for a great price :food: :smile1: 
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

wedocq

No, I just disagreed with the under powered statement. The boat won't struggle, which usually defines "under powered". Now if you want more speed, that's a whole different thing. So posting real life ocean experience versus an opinion now makes me a stalker? :shrug9: Alrighty then.
-Shawn

Craneman

We took the boat out for sea trails and up on plane in a heart beat 33 mph. All went well and we thanked the guy for the nice boat ride.  HA HA not really my friend bought the boat

Moe
91 15 ft Sea Hunter
45 hp Honda
4 hp Yamaha

wedocq

Moe,
That's a very respectable top speed for that motor and boat! My buddy propped his down a bit for ocean conditions. I guess if you are on a Montana lake, a higher top speed would be nice, but when you are on the big water, a little extra thrust on the big swells is better. Even with that, his top speed completely loaded down with guys, gear, and fish was nearly 30 mph. For the guys that don't fish the big blue, PNW ocean conditions rarely allow for top speed. I have been out there many times when your just fighting to get to the top of the next wave. Should be a great boat! I hope your buddy enjoys it.
-Shawn

Craneman

Quote from: wedocq on January 01, 2014, 04:19:58 PM
Moe,
That's a very respectable top speed for that motor and boat! My buddy propped his down a bit for ocean conditions. I guess if you are on a Montana lake, a higher top speed would be nice, but when you are on the big water, a little extra thrust on the big swells is better. Even with that, his top speed completely loaded down with guys, gear, and fish was nearly 30 mph. For the guys that don't fish the big blue, PNW ocean conditions rarely allow for top speed. I have been out there many times when your just fighting to get to the top of the next wave. Should be a great boat! I hope your buddy enjoys it.
-Shawn

We fish the Willapa and Grays Harbor and seldom get. To wot, I'm too old and don't like the bouncing  and pounding . Wife told me if I never catch another fish I have already got more than my share!!!(I don't see it that way)  that 19 is nice but still like my sea hunter
                                      Moe
91 15 ft Sea Hunter
45 hp Honda
4 hp Yamaha

wedocq

Wilapa is cool! Trying to reach to ocean from there scares the living crap out of me. :hoboy: :doh: This boat will be a fish killer for what it's being used for. Yes, WOT is seldom achieved in an Arima out in the ocean. We should hook up some time this summer in WP for a beer around the campfire. Maybe we can exchange some secrets. I will PM you one of mine!  :biggrin:
-Shawn