News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Review of new custom top for my SE 16'

Started by Chasin Baitman, December 23, 2013, 11:15:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chasin Baitman

markshorline was asking about my cover and if I had done a review of it on the site.  That seems like a good idea, so here goes.

The cover that came with the '92 SE I bought last summer was fine and in decent shape, but the plastic windows were shot.  I called around to shops in bellingham and ultimately took it down to a place at the marina called squalicum marine.  My initial idea was to just replace the plastic, but we started spitballing ideas about a brand new custom-designed cover/structure, and in the end I got mega-upsold :)

Glad I did, because I really love this cover. Especially since I have been doing alot of blackmouth fishing and will continue to do so throughout the winter.  I like to think I am tough guy and can handle the elements, but the reality is...I'm into comfort.  I'll fish more if I know I can be warm and dry!

Because I'm 6'7", the guy at squalicum (jason - awesome dude) suggested a taller frame than what was there.  If you are tall, then you know a little more headroom is always nice.  It's about 6', I can't stand up straight in it but normal people can!  We also made it longer.  The previous cover only came back to the back edge of the front seats (my boat has seat boxes that have seats behind the 2 front), and had no drop curtain.  The new cover has a drop curtain that is flush with the back edge of the seatboxes, and runs to 2" above the floor.  It's a nice big covered "cabin" for big people like me.

The drop curtain has 3 panels, all quite easily removed.  The middle is a "door" that can be removed entirely, or rolled up.  With all the panels on, it significantly reduces motor noise.  People inside can talk without needing to shout.  It also keeps it pretty warm.  It's windless except for a little bit of wind that passes thru the forward-facing snap edge on the sides (which you can only feel if your head is near the side window).  It's kind of a feature because I've been using the Mr. Heater "Little Buddy" (no safety lectures please) and the side ventilation is probably a good thing. It also keeps the inside from fogging up. It gets sooo nice and toasty in there.  Great to have an escape where you can be inside and get warm.

Jason had the idea to put the frame on the inside rather than the outside like the old cover.  His reasoning was is potential inside space that was being wasted on the outside.  Loved that idea.  I also think it makes the whole structure look cleaner.   The material is "Sunbrella" which I don't know much about, but I can testify that it's pretty weatherproof and durable.  I also think it looks pretty sweet.

The longer cover does reduce the deckspace a touch, already somewhat limited since it's a 16'.  But since I am a lone fisherman 95% of the time it doesn't bother me at all.  Again, I want the comfort :)  But with the 3 drop curtain panels off the deck space can be essentially regained.  And of course, the entire cover can be removed (like for summer).

Here's the cover just after it was finished...

View from the back after a day of fishing/crabbing (prolly time for me to clean the crop curtain windows).

The custom bars that they installed.  They don't rely on strap tension like the stock bars do and are therefore pretty sturdy.

Drop curtain panels snap to the bottom of the back of the seat boxes

The increased height has the added benefit of a GIANT upper windshield.  Jason used a thicker version of the plastic (not sure what it's called).  It's more durable and easier to clean because it doesn't flex as much.

Doh!  How did this slip in here? :P

Shot of the door rolled up (and my dog chillin')  I rarely do this (it's easy to just remove and toss in the cabin).  But I like the feature.

Nice panoramic my friend took when we were out fishing eagle point this fall.

Hope that helps somebody or is at least interesting.

Cheers!
Rory

2011 19' Sea Ranger, 2011 Suzuki DF115, 2011 Honda 8 kicker

"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

croaker stroker

Great write up with pics. Now we know it really happened.

Just one question...

How much did it cost?
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

GregE

Great first picture!!  Thanks for the helpful info.
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

amazing grace

That looks awesome. I great little package (Boat and all) you have. Nice photography too. Thanks for sharing. I bet your buddy love's to go with you :beerchug:
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Seattleflyfisher

I really like the stainless steel frame and the stantion is a great way to keep the top secure.

SFF

Markshoreline

I just don't understand why some guys like the really high roofs?  :shrug9:
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Seattleflyfisher

Mark...silly boy!  You are 5'3 on a good day :whistle:

just say-in :berry:

5'11
SFF

Markshoreline

Yeah, but at least I don't bump my head on my canvas rails :  )

Chasin Baitman

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on December 23, 2013, 12:29:37 PM

How much did it cost?

Bit under $2k. I love the crap out of it and find it well worth the cost!

"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

Tom Mac

Super Nice top, my choice of colour as well!
1991 Sea Ranger 17, 2014 F90 Yamaha, 2008 T8 Yamaha

Chief of the Boat

SRanger

Quote from: Chasin Baitman on December 23, 2013, 04:18:39 PM
Bit under $2k. I love the crap out of it and find it well worth the cost!

That is the best part of all!  Looks sharp too.

SR
99 19' Arima Sea Ranger HT,  Honda BF130/BF8.
88 17' Arima Sea Ranger ST,  Yamaha F80/Merc 8 (sold)

Salmon King

Quote from: markshoreline on December 23, 2013, 04:11:27 PM
Yeah, but at least I don't bump my head on my canvas rails :  )

You would bump your head on my boat Mark!
My top is only 5' tall at the rear opening...
On the plus side there is very little sail area for the winds.

CB...That is a very nice looking top you had made.  May I ask who did the work for you?

PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Chasin Baitman

Peddler

Very nice!  I like the higher-end panel across the front.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Seattleflyfisher

I just noticed that they did not add the 3rd support. Did you think of this or did you go off of the recommendation from the maker?

SFF

ak-angler

That's definitely a good looking top. I love that big front window.
1985 Sea Ranger 17 Skiff Top with 2012 Suzuki DF90A - Sold

2007 Cape Cruiser Marinaut 26 with twin 2006 Honda BF90's

Chasin Baitman

Quote from: Seattleflyfisher on December 23, 2013, 07:53:48 PM
I just noticed that they did not add the 3rd support. Did you think of this or did you go off of the recommendation from the maker?

SFF

Hmm...not sure what you mean. What 3rd support? Maybe i'm inadvertently not doing something I should be?

Seattleflyfisher

If you look at the supports in the top of your canvas they make 2 and 3 bows. Yours is a 2 support. No big deal here. Your stantion support will keep it tight. 2 support bow system get loose and can collect water.

SFF

blindmonkey

Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8 SOLD
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

Markshoreline

I count one, two, three supports on that top...including the big one mounted to the boat.

familyrig

Looks great!  Is it possible to trailer with the new canvas up?  That is going to be my next big project. Along with all the other projects....
1999 Sea Explorer 75hp Yamaha 6HP Suzuki/ 1990 Sea Ranger 17' 90 hp Honda

Chasin Baitman

Quote from: familyrig on December 24, 2013, 03:10:01 AM
Looks great!  Is it possible to trailer with the new canvas up?  That is going to be my next big project. Along with all the other projects....

Well, I have been. Jason built it to be on there permanently. Removal is possible but it kinda has to be premeditated. On the water would be tough. Covering the boat in the driveway is an issue that I'm still working on (garage too small). Carport is likely in my future.

Chasin Baitman

Quote from: Seattleflyfisher on December 23, 2013, 08:54:47 PM
If you look at the supports in the top of your canvas they make 2 and 3 bows. Yours is a 2 support. No big deal here. Your stantion support will keep it tight. 2 support bow system get loose and can collect water.

SFF

I gotcha. IIRC he installed bars that were very rounded on top for this reason.  I remember him addressing this with me but I can't remember everything he said. The general gist was that the design prevented it.

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

Beautiful piece of work. Neat color, too. I am sure you will be happy with it. Thanks for submitting. J W
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!