News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

wiper motor replacement

Started by CanvasGuy, April 30, 2011, 09:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanvasGuy

I know it's been discussed here before.. it seems it my turn to replace a wiper setup.. now. my  questions are ,
does Arima have a replacement..
that doesn't require a gel coat redo or holes patched? or can a guy just replace it with a better motor and arm.? I see 80 degrees is needed
on angle  is it?..

Thanks for your input..
Gary
Gary Smart
boatless  now
http://www.smartcustomcanvas.com
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." Arthur C. Clarke

StreamFixer

Gary

PolarBill 1999 seems to have the answers to your questions, especially about the old system.  I recommend you PM him directly

I moved from the old style to the newer pantographic.  Works great, however, the motor magnet is to strong my binnacle compass is useless.  I am seeing if I can get it far enough away to still be useful but work.

StreamFixer.
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

woody

Gary

After you work with Bill and get some thing worked out, keep us posted.  Most of us have the same problem and are hungry for an answer.

Woody

Markshoreline

I found a wiper motor at West Marine, the package indicated it had the 80 degree swing.  It was a straight drop in installation, same bolt holes, same hardware, same wiring.  Only difference is this one has a smaller shaft than the old one, requiring the purchase of a different wiper.  One of the easier projects I have done!
Mark
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

CanvasGuy

is this the unit mark?.. :shrug9:

AFI
MRV Wiper Motor, 12v, 80° Sweep
Model # 2494391   |   Manuf. # 34005
@ west marine.. $259.99
yikies!!! :bigshock:

if so what size arm..? or part nr.?
thanks Gary

I haven't heard back from Bill yet..Also Vick.. they have redone theirs..

we will get to the bottom of the "WIPER WARS"... :biggrin:

SF how much did you give for the "BINNICAL BUSTER"? :redface:

hold on heres another option..

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=11892&familyName=AFI+12+Volt+MRV+2+Speed+Wiper+Motors

JD has a 1.5 and a 3.5 shaft size...both @ 80 for 159.78$

specs:

Easily powers 22 inches x 22 inches Deluxe arm/blade combinations, or 20 inches x 20 inches Premier arm/blade combination at sweep sets of 80 degrees or less
Accommodates blades from 16 inches to 24 inches
Factory pre-set sweep at 80 or 110 degrees, can be adjusted to 45, 60, 80, or 110 degrees
5/8 inch diameter shaft
2-1/2 inch shaft length
Corrosion-resistant casing
Heavy duty motor with right angle drive
Two-speed motor, can be operated as one speed
Solid brass knurled drive nut with brass and stainless steel drive shaft
Adjustable right or left self parking, coast to park
12 volt
Includes 5 amp fuse and holder
Stainless steel fasteners and mounting bracket
Maximum current draw: 3.5 amps at peak load
Measures 7-7/16 inches long x 4 inches wide x 2 inches high
One year warranty
Use with three-position switch (not included)

and then...
thru E-bay motors..

Great Lakes Skipper

a new Marinco AFI windshield wiper motor, mfg. part # 38000A.

MRV 80° sweep, 2-speed, 12 volt Wiper Motor w/ 2-1/2" shaft.

GLS Stock Number:  1015548FS--1MG6--D4

$95.94

OK more:
not sure about this one..

AFI 35501 AFI-1500 Boat Windshield Wiper Motor

80" Sweep
2 1/2" Shaft

We are selling a new Marinco wiper motor, mfg. part # 35501. AFI-500 wiper motor, 80° sweep w/ 2 1/2" shaft

Features:

* Powers up to 14 inch x 14 inch arm/blade combinations
* Waterproof housing made of UV stabilized, high-temperature, high-impact thermoplastic

Price: $ 69.95

OK I belive we have a winner... :applause:

WINNING!!!!....with Adonis DNA............. :jester:
http://greatlakesskipper.com/product/9_318-boat-windshields-and-parts-wiper-kits-and-accessories/8255--marinco-afi-38000a-boat-windshield-wiper-motor.html
$89.99@
  :party:

Gary Smart
boatless  now
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." Arthur C. Clarke

StreamFixer

Here's another wiper motor discussion

http://arimaboatownersgroup.com/index.php?topic=438.0

(Page 2 tricks and tips)

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Markshoreline

Gary,
Yep, that's the one.  Pricey for the marginal performance, huh?
Mark

rusty scuppers

I need a new motor too, but geez the prices are all over the place. I have the old style one with the 3/8 X 2 1/2" shaft. I was thinking about the afi 500-1500 series, it has a 1/2 dia. shaft which is o.k. but I wonder if the grommet mounting hole is the same distance from the shaft as my old one

CanvasGuy

Well... so far Nick(vxhatch).. said he used the one from great lakes skipper..afi-38000a but had to buy an arm and re drill and fill holes as well as space it out due to shaft length...
I believe Marks version fit well with no drilling or filling..it seems maybe that the newer models Arimas may be the ones you don't have to change the holes??? mines an 84.. :shrug9: or finding the one that fits right in...?anyone else have any input on this? thanks..Gary

well its too late to fix it before Hali opener on the 5th so ....RAIN X to the rescue... :party:
Gary Smart
boatless  now

CanvasGuy

ok heard back from Bill..quote:

I think you can probably use one of our WWF motors.  They are the same as the newer style motors that Arima uses. The sweep can be changed and they have sweep options of 45/65/85/110 degrees.  You might only get 65 degrees of sweep but maybe 85 would work.  I believe the shaft is larger then the stock one so it would have to be drilled out some.  You would also have to choose what length shaft.  There is 1, 2 or 3 inch shafts.  They also take up more room and need a second screw to secure the end of the motor.  You then can use and adjustable arm(44-02) and a flat wiper blade(51-length).  The arm Arima sells though is probably a little better because it has a rotatable piece at the end of it to move change the angle a little. Our motors are just over $80 a piece.

great price bill....
so maybe the one @ bills place is good if I understand correctly..you would just have to drill a larger diameter shaft hole.. no problem it's just where the  support bolt goes through the hull that is a re drill?...I am confused..

Gary

:shrug9: :1zhelp: :biggrin:
Gary Smart
boatless  now

rusty scuppers

Does anyone know what the distance is between the shaft and the anchor hole is on the AFI 500?

CanvasGuy

Rusty scuppers  :cha: your on to something there.. I have no answer for you on the afi 500?....

but we need to determine that distance and size for our original motors then we can try to match em up with what is available..

so I haven't measured my old wiper motor yet.. :shrug9:

but maybe you can  measure yours and post it I'll see if mines the same. :arms:.

Gary

Gary Smart
boatless  now

Markshoreline

Sorry for the delay but I just found the info on the motor I bought from WM.

Seafit Standard Wiper Kit Model 1207695
Windshield Frame Moung
12V std wiper motor, 80 degree sweep
11" Blade 71/2 Adjustable arm
Shaft length 2 1/2"
Shaft diameter 3/8"

Mark

rusty scuppers

Thats the one I bought also this weekend, I thought about an up grade to AFI 500 or 1000 but couldn't get a answer to the hole centers from the shaft to the anchor post. I know I would have to drill up to a 1/2" on the shaft but didn't want to relocate the anchor post and have another hole to fill. I think mine is 1 1/2" apart, I'll check that when I get home after work.

First Cabin

I am all for spending top dollar for best quality, but.....

Am I the only one that feels that when it comes to our wiper motors we are spending top dollar for a $10, made in china, piece of junk?

I need to get into the wiper motor business!
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

CanvasGuy

NO you're Not the only one...I totally agree About Quality if its worth it... but...it's not there for the prices on china junk..
yet it was pretty old 1984...and rode hard I know... :bigshock: so if a 80$ wiper motor will last that long? but that's the cheapest one..more like 300.00 from West marine..
because you use the dreaded words...Marine...RV...or HD..I get the burn every time I go to buy for my Toys... :hoboy:

The Price of Play.. :facepalm:
Gary Smart
boatless  now

StreamFixer

For what it's worth:::

I bought the panto-graphic upgrade wiper unit from Arima.  It came with a hand drawn installation sketch (see http://arimaboatownersgroup.com/index.php?topic=365.0 ).  That sketch calls for mounting the unit 3" below the window.  As you guys may know, the older boats (mine is a '94) do not have that tall of a slope below the window.  So you are off the races at the get go.  :shrug9:

The sketch wiring diagram also calls for one of the wires to be connected to the 'purple' wire so the unit will go to the 'park' position (optional).  My old boat only had one wire to the wiper and it was purple for a while, then red, then some other color.  I have not taken the time to crawl around in a factory boat at a dealer to figure it out yet.  I'll let you guys know when I do.   :biggrin:

All in all, I paid around $300 for the motor and arm.  I had to manually shorten (that means take a hack saw to it for those of you from Rio Linda FLA.) the blade as the window was not tall enough to accommodate the wiper swing, likely because of not being able to get the unit 3" down the sloping .........  You guys know what I mean.   :doh: :facepalm:

Keep after it guys.  There has to be a good solution.  I found it interesting that the old style wiper motor is stock on a jeep and can be found at many auto web sites for about half of what a 'marine' wiper motor runs.  :cha:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

rusty scuppers

I bought the same kit as markshoreline did. The motor is the same as the original one with the exception of the shaft where you attach the wiper arm, the straight one that comes with the kit does not work well on the windshield (it over wipes). I need to figure out how to adapt the old AFI arm to the new motor. The AFI arm has that adjustment that angles the blade to the windshield frame. Bye the way the shaft center to the anchor post center is 1 3/4" on the old style motor , now does the AFI 1500 have the same pattern?

CanvasGuy

here's the latest.. motor removed after cutting shaft so removal was possible..need to cut back panel off at top to allow new motor to be installed.

here's pics of old motor specs are WWF 12C1-720

dated 4-13-84 12V Type WWF made in USA... :bigshock:
arm location

motor

mounted

the dimension's are: shaft length 2" diameter 5/8" and the center to center of shaft and brace hole are 7 and1/4"

I hope this helps.. I have e-mailed polorbill about a motor they carry.. will report back..

Gary
Gary Smart
boatless  now

polarbill1999

Gary, after looking at that motor it should have the same dimensions as the motor we stock.  We even use the WWF12c18720s number.  We just add in the 8 before the 720s.  If I send you a motor, arm and blade for you to try and fit would could you send it back to me if it doesn't fit?  I wouldn't charge you until you for sure wanted to use it. 

Brett
Brett
1996 Sea Chaser 16 the "Rhumb Runner"
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

CanvasGuy

Brett, I need  all of the above..I would be willing to buy it with my creit card no problem. I can pay up front, and if there's a major problem(witch I doubt)
I can deal with it..thanks for your generous offer and all your help..
give me a call when you have time I'll give you my numbers.. :smile1:
I will be going to neah bay thursday thru saterday but you could send it so it gets here on Monday thru Wensday
my phone nr. is
360-683-9560
Thanks.
Gary
Gary Smart
boatless  now

CanvasGuy

OK received and checked out my new motor from Brett's Co. :biggrin:
and it looks exactally the same size shaft and distance to bracket mounting hole..and the arm and blade are great too..the arm has exactally the same configuration as the original..
except the blade mounting position on the arm is different.. it may lead to an arm shortening (witch looks easy) just a cut and bend.. to make it just the same as the original..
also the new motor is bi speed so i had him throw in a three way toggle type switch so I can take advantage of that ..upgrade..
the only change I made was to adjust the sweep to 85 by removing a clip and switching holes.. easy.. so what I am saying is this may just work!!
I am off to Neah bay but will report on the installation when i get to it next week..

Thanks Brett for all your help..and service.. :smile1:

CG
Gary Smart
boatless  now

polarbill1999

No problem Gary.  I hope it work like it is suppose to. Keep us informed.   

Brett
1996 Sea Chaser 16 the "Rhumb Runner"
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

StreamFixer

Gary

Did you get this installed?

How does it work?

I think I killed mine curing the magnetic problem and letting the motor armature come out of the housing.  I hope I got the brushes back in like they are supposed to be.  Too tired to check it out today, maybe in a couple of hours.  If it works, it works, if not I'm in for a new motor assembly.
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

CanvasGuy

YES is in and running strong..

CG
Gary Smart
boatless  now