News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Wet Sanding with a Water Bug

Started by Seattleflyfisher, December 05, 2013, 05:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seattleflyfisher

I just wanted to give a shout out to a new toy I bought a few weeks ago. My winter project of respraying my 15' Hunter with Gel coat is complete and I had a little time to put to test my Hutchins Water bug this afternoon in the garage. Now I wish I had bought this product 3 years ago because it would have saved so much of my life. While just holding the handle the Water bug just vibrates and wham! The gel coat is smooth! Just unreal......I know some are thinking this could be a product that could hurt your boat but I have hand sanded my last 3 boats and with this product you just watch and move it......I am just stunned and I will leave it at that.

I uesed 600 grit 3M paper and my next round will be 1500. I could probably stop now but since I have the 1500 I will go over it. Buffing with a light compound could also replace the 1500 but I am curious to see how it works.

SFF

ak-angler

Ooooooh... I'm gonna hafta get me one of those. Where'd ya get it?
1985 Sea Ranger 17 Skiff Top with 2012 Suzuki DF90A - Sold

2007 Cape Cruiser Marinaut 26 with twin 2006 Honda BF90's

Seattleflyfisher

I picked it up on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251380898680

For sandpaper I am using 3m Purple
http://www.ebay.com/itm/350726019954?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

This water bug would be great for any type of gel coat repair or complete restoration project.

SFF

Seattleflyfisher

Before buying a Hutchins sander I did a lot of research of quality for these kind of products. There are clones on ebay but this is a USA product so I care about our jobs.

SFF

ak-angler

Hmmm... After looking at the air requirements, I don't think my current compressor would be sufficient. Might have to look at upgrading the compressor!

Seattleflyfisher

This is what I'm using. While it is not a speed daemon it works great.

croaker stroker

I have a similar sander called a "Dynabrade".

You do need a lot of air to run this one.  I use mine all the time for various sanding Jobs.  I use an Emglo Contractors compressor and I have to periodically wait for it to catch up.

Be careful because with the 600 grit, it is easy to sand through if you get complacent. (This is from a voice of experience)   :jester:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

ak-angler

Your compressor shows 5.6 CFM @ 90 psi.   ...   from what I see on the 'Net, the sander requires 11 CFM @ 90 psi.

But, it worked OK for you at half of the required flow rate?

Seattleflyfisher

When I first started to use it I noticed it appeared slow, but I just watched it and I was shocked to see some orange peel I had just disappear. Most of my spraying was great but when I moved the sander over the area I could see it just flatten out like glass. So, for what I need it works great. If I had a big shop and really wanted to burn through gel coat then more compressor might be nice.  I spent so much time spraying gel coat I do not want to burn the gel coat.

SFF

Seattleflyfisher

Croaker, does your compressor have more power then mine?

SFF

croaker stroker

Quote from: Seattleflyfisher on December 05, 2013, 07:34:14 PM
Croaker, does your compressor have more power then mine?

SFF

No. Mine is only 4 CFM at 90 lbs. 

I sand for 5 min. Then wait for it to catch up, then sand for 5 min. more.   :stooges: 

My arm needs to rest every 5 min. anyway.   :shrug9:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

ak-angler

Well, it sounds like one of these units may work just fine with my compressor. Of course, that doesn't mean I can't upgrade my compressor anyway... It does seem to struggle to keep up when I run the media blasting cabinet.  :whistle:

croaker stroker

Save your money and buy a cheap electric orbital sander from Home Depot. 

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Seattleflyfisher

I am so done with the orbital sander. I like the wet sander!

Just trying to understand why I like a wet sander. It seems like I can work slower and not burn gel coat. The water is nice to use.

Croaker,   Why do you like the orbital sander......

SFF

croaker stroker

Quote from: Seattleflyfisher on December 05, 2013, 09:28:44 PM

Croaker,   Why do you like the orbital sander......

SFF

I have both types of orbital sanders pneumatic (Dynabrade) and electric (Porter Cable) Both have their place. Both can be used for wet sanding gel coat.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Salmon King

Croaker you need to explain how you are wet sanding with an electric RAS.

I did my boat by hand a 3 yrs. ago...don't want to EVER do that again.
But I have never been happy with how it turned out and I really want to do the job over right.

I wonder if thee is someplace that rents a wet sander... :shrug9:
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Seattleflyfisher

Terry, if you are ever serious about putting some lipstick on your pig :berry:     Just ask me, and you can borrow it.

SFF

Salmon King

Darren...that is one of the most generous offersI have ever recieved... Thank you, and I will...
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

croaker stroker

[/quote]
Quote from: Salmon King on December 05, 2013, 10:55:12 PM

Croaker you need to explain how you are wet sanding with an electric RAS.

I have a pad with Velcro hook on the sander. I buy 3M wet sandpaper from a local automotive paint supplier (Senik Paint) with the loop backing. I stick the sandpaper on the sander. I wet the surface to be sanded and sand away. I carry a small bucket of water and a wet rag to re-wet and clean the surface as I go.

Same method SFF uses with the pneumatic.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

ak-angler

<------ Not a huge fan of mixing water with electric power tools.

And, I'd think that water flowing through the sander would provide a more consistent wetting than splashing water on from a bucket.

And, who wants to deal with carrying a bucket of water around when you don't have to?

And, cool tools are... well, cool. :berry:  :biggrin:

croaker stroker

Yep. It's cool.

Just say'in. If you want to try your hand at it. And don't want to spend all that money....$$$.    :twocents:

Quote from: ak-angler on December 06, 2013, 01:30:43 AM

<------ Not a huge fan of mixing water with electric power tools.

Hmm. Surprising, since you are a wing nut fan.    :whistle:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

ak-angler

My wing nuts are as secure as any hex nut. And they sure as heck aren't going to electrocute me....  :wink:

croaker stroker

:jester:

I haven't been electrocuted yet.  (Well, not by wet sanding anyway)

Tip....you can prevent the water from beading up on the fresh gel coat by adding a drop of dish soap to the bucket of water.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

ak-angler

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on December 06, 2013, 12:50:13 PM
I haven't been electrocuted yet.  (Well, not by wet sanding anyway)
That's the beauty of freedom.  :wink: Individuals get to make their own risk assessment decisions, based on whatever criteria they so choose. While I have obviously come to a different conclusion, I certainly respect your right to make your own choice. I just hate to see somebody making such decisions without understanding the risks. :arms:

Markshoreline

Wing nuts vs. lugnuts?  How's a mother to choose??? :biggrin:
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9