News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

New Trailer Jack

Started by First Cabin, November 24, 2013, 08:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregE

Well, that's three of us....     :facepalm:    MIne is straight but the pivot point is loosey goosey. 

Did it look like you could use the winch support mount just  using the carriage bolts?  ( and anothther jack on the side rail)
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

First Cabin

Quote from: ReBait on November 25, 2013, 02:37:57 PM
Well, that's three of us....     :facepalm:    MIne is straight but the pivot point is loosey goosey. 

Did it look like you could use the winch support mount just  using the carriage bolts?  ( and anothther jack on the side rail)

No problem.  You can remove the jack and the winch support bolts back on fine.

In talking with the wholesaler, he had another jack that he said would bolt up, but the locking pin is slightly larger so the holes would then have to be bored out for it to work.  At that point, I want a different jack anyway.
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Markshoreline

I don't know if this one will fit your unique mounting holes, but I'm going to order one for LiLi.  The original is getting weak in the knees....

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Overtons-Mega-Wheel-1800-lb-Trailer-Jack&i=75839&aID=603A&merchID=4006

And now it is on sale plus free shipping!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Chief of the Boat

Mark,
I just replaced my Overton Mega wheel jack today and installed this one from Harbor Freight today.  I took PNW Prides advice and clipped my coupon.  The Chinese quality is better than the Chinese quality of the Overton unit.   I will test it tomorrow and report back.  http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-capacity-dual-wheel-swing-back-boat-trailer-jack-67500.html

Markshoreline

Did you have problems with the Mega?  I've already ordered from Overton's, along with a dehumidifier for the cuddy.  Hopefully, the limited trailer time LiLi spends will allow the Mega to last a long time........?

Chief of the Boat

The hard wheel has grooves and does not roll smoothly on any surface.  When I bought it a few years ago and pulled it out of the box I was disappointed with the rough finish on the brackets, nuts and bolts. 

Markshoreline

Oh, well, I'll report here when I receive it.  Hopefully, a few years will make a difference!

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

EJthomp....I have usually replaced with Fulton single wheel on most of my boats. Most RV dealers carry two or three different capacity types.  One key is when your moving the boat around on the jack.....keep it low. That way there is less leverage on the jack tube.
For the folding tounges....any reason why the jack can't be mounted where the trailer rails "Y" off? I just looked at my neighbors and it appears this would work fine if you have the clearance between boat & trailer.
JW
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

Hydro-Therapy

For me it seems like no matter how good or expensive of a jack I buy they only last about 4 or 5 years around salt water.  :twocents:

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

PNW Pride

:yeahthat:  20% off coupon for Harbor Freight Tools right now, I clip em and stash em.  Why pay more for an expensive one when you can buy four for the price of one?   :shrug9:  Dual wheel is the way to go because it extends higher and has 500 lbs more capacity.  Mount two on there if ya like LOL!   Just remember the farther back you mount it, the more it will get dunked in salt water and shorten the life.  Also JW nailed it keep em low when moving the boat about.
21' Sea Ranger/Honda 150HP

First Cabin

Placed farther back on the frame they will see more saltwater.  With a  bunk trailer, I need to back in deeper to launch the boat so it is likely the jack will at least be heavily splashed from time to time.

My main wish in the new jack is to make it easier to move the trailer tongue an inch or two side to side.  When I back up my tow rig and I'm off by a couple inches, I'm tired of having to muscle the tongue over as the jack wheel doesn't turn sideways easily.  They all roll forward and back easy enough.  I want a trailer jack that moves side to side easier.  Looks like the Fulton F2 gets best reviews for that, but gets bad reviews for durability.

GregE

Get a pair of those magnetic wands with the alignment balls-  Harbor Freight has those too.  Or get driver that can follow hand signals....  :wink:
Greg
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Hydro-Therapy

The alignment ball things harbor freight has  Do NOT WORK they are to short to use with a full size truck with a tailgate. I have a set I would give someone just to get them out of my tool box.

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

croaker stroker

I kick the wheel around until it points in the right direction.   :stooges:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

First Cabin

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on November 26, 2013, 04:33:06 PM

Try that in flip flops!  :)

Threeweight

Re: saltwater... I keep the worm gear in my painted jack packed with grease, and once a year or so I flip the jack up at an angle and squirt a liberal dose of Corrosion X along the shaft of it. 

Going on 4 years or so on the jack, and it is holding up well.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

GregE

Quote from: ejthomp on November 26, 2013, 05:07:20 PM

Ya gotta be smarter than the tool your working with...  (10% per my hunting buddy  )    :biggrin:
Greg

croaker stroker

Quote from: ReBait on November 26, 2013, 05:23:46 PM
Quote from: ejthomp on November 26, 2013, 05:07:20 PM

Ya gotta be smarter than the tool your working with...  (10% per my hunting buddy  )    :biggrin:

Maybe that's why my toes don't all point in the same direction.   :shrug9:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

1mowave

I have had the F2 for over 5 years and I am almost as happy now as the day I installed it.  It really has a feel of quality and cranking couldn't be any easier.  I think it has many more years of life left.  I guess I join the 90% handle failure issue - it is a shame I really liked the original handle.  It was a snap to fabricate a new handle though.  Drill a couple of holes placed a couple of screws and covered them with shrink insulation.  Works fine.  Even if I was sure this was going to happen again - I would still purchase another one

allpauwork

I have the alignment ball things from Harbor Freight and they work well because I tow with a full size cargo van.  I just open the back doors and can see everything.  I only use them when hitching the travel trailer though. 

The Arima is light enough to push around to line up the ball and hitch even on the slight grade of the driveway.  I use a chain wrapped around the jack's wheel to keep the trailer from rolling too far forward into the van.

The nice thing about the cargo van is that during launching and retrieving  the boat,  I can just walk on the trailer's platform that I made and enter the rear of the van through the doors without getting wet.

BTW, I do kick the jack's wheel with flip flops too.  I'll never be a foot model.