News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Help with Lowrance

Started by SekiuSaba, April 26, 2011, 07:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SekiuSaba

I have a Lowrance 337C depth/sounder combo that has always worked flawlessly.  I think it must be mad at me for not fishing much this winter.  I installed it back in the boat two weeks ago after a winter of being stored in the garage.  The unit was working fine.  All of a sudden on three seperate occasions it has taken it upon itself to turn on.  The screen blinks continuously and with each blink the maching beeps.  I turn it off using the power switch on the unit and it recycles and does the same thing over and over.  If I unplug the power it does go off.   I have been able to plug it back in and it has worked ok, powers up and down, finds signal etc.   It has been 4 days without any problem and again today my neighbor came over and told me my boat was beeping again!.  Any ideas on what the problem may be?
17' SC Skip Tower - 90 & 8 Honda

Vancouvertechie

2003 15' SeaHunter 50HP Suzuki (FI4Strk)
1991 16' SeaChaser 50HP Johnson (Keith)
1995 19' SeaRanger 115 Yamaha (FI4Strk)
1992 Zodiac Hurricane Honda 135HP
1987 44' Tollycraft Motoryacht

Danno

I could also be moisture in the contacts causing the switches to activate. Take it out of the boat and set it atop the fridge where it will be warm for a while.

That's not likely the problem. Just a shot in the dark.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

t2shortb

Hey, I have an eagle seacharter df unit in my small lake boat... same unit as the 337 df and I had the same problem with mine....
I was leaving it on the boat outside and then it started doing the exact same thing you are talking about. I took it inside and tore it apart to check out the button contacts, only to find that the button panel is a sealed unit... I let it "dry out" (if that was even the problem) and it has been fine ever sense. There is also a soft and a hard reset you can do to basicly reboot the unit....

Soft Reset (Does not delete GPSData)
1. Turn unit OFF 2. Press and holdthe PAGES key
3. Press and hold the PWR key
4. Release both buttons when the USA map
Appears

Hard Reset (Deletes stored GPS Data
such as Waypoints and trails)
1. Back up any waypoints, routes,and trails that you want to save on a blank MMC card
2. Turn unit OFF
3. Press and hold the ZIN&ZOUTKeys at
the same time
4. Pressand hold the PWR key
5. Release both buttons when the USAmap
appears

Women want me.... Fish fear me......
86 17SC  "Krippled Mullet"
2012 ETEC 115
2006/2003 Yamaha F8/F6 Frankin-clash (dont ask)

SekiuSaba

Thanks for the suggestions.  I will try them one at a time and hope something works.  In case it doesn't, does anyone have experience or have any thoughs on the Lowrance HDS- 5? 

Enniberg

There is a fairly recent discussion about the HDS-5 and other alternatives here http://arimaboatownersgroup.com/index.php?topic=247.msg2314;topicseen#msg2314
Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. (unknown)

SekiuSaba

SekiuSaba

An update and some information.  After trying the firmware upgrade, the soft and hard reset, the problem did not go away.  I called Lowrance to see if they had any hints.  They indicated that while it is not a common problem, it is a known issue.  My 337 is on its way to the factory for repair.  If they can fix it the total charge is 62.50.  If they can't, which seems the more likely scenario since the service guy said it was most likely the motherboard, they will send a replacement.  The current replacement for the 337 is the HDS-5.  The cost for the replacement will be 327.50!  That is a lot cheaper than it is available from anyone else I found!  I added the insight coastal charts for another 90.00. 

Thanks again for all of your input. 

Threeweight

Now here's the real question... are you hoping they can fix it, or praying its toast?  :biggrin:
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

SekiuSaba

My wife asked the same question.   I just put it in the mail and didn't do the best job of packing it, just one layer of bubble wrap in a big box.  Now if I can only get eggs with the toast!