News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Fishing on the hook? can u really get around the cuddy?

Started by -scallywag-, October 30, 2013, 08:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ak-angler

I don't know how many 40# salmon can fit. But I did stuff the wife's 140# halibut in our fish box. Well, sort of... I had to cut off a pretty good chunk of the tail to get the lid closed. (As it so happens, that 'extra' chunk fit quite nicely on the Magma Newport grill... :biggrin:) I've also had it pretty well stuffed with 24 sockeye plus a 54" ling cod and two medium-sized yelloweye.

I gotta tell ya, that fish box is one thing I know for sure I'm gonna miss about the Sea Ranger when we start cruising in our new boat next year... :wink:
1985 Sea Ranger 17 Skiff Top with 2012 Suzuki DF90A - Sold

2007 Cape Cruiser Marinaut 26 with twin 2006 Honda BF90's

Threeweight

AK, you may want to look into a Reliable-brand kill bag for your new C-Dory.  Basically a giant, soft-side cooler with really good insulation.  Easy to roll up and stow when not needed, and easy to clean.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

ak-angler

I've already been looking at those bags. :yeahthat: Won't be the same as having the built-in box, though...
1985 Sea Ranger 17 Skiff Top with 2012 Suzuki DF90A - Sold

2007 Cape Cruiser Marinaut 26 with twin 2006 Honda BF90's

PNW Pride

This is one 40lb king from that day and a couple of them in a 21' fish box.  Walking around the cuddy while fighting a fish can be done with a hard top or skip tower, I don't recommend it though.  Having a hand on the rod and one on the grab rail is a good way to lose a fish or possibly take a swim.  :twocents:
21' Sea Ranger/Honda 150HP

wedocq

Quote from: PNW Pride on November 01, 2013, 10:22:36 AM
Did someone mention a 43lb king?  Shawn I know as the years pass the fish in the stories get bigger, but this is outlandish.  Come on man!!!  :jester:

Hey man I fought that monster for at least 3 or 4 mins! haha. I was actually referring to the hog Jacob landed on your boat Rory. That fish was incredible!
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

GoodDays

croaker stroker

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Markshoreline

Nick will treasure that photo forever, and will always remember his dad for guiding him to it!  Great dad!   :arms:

p.s. I have one courtesy of the same guide!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

wedocq

Maybe he should guide you on today's technology too!  :doh: :biggrin:

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

PNW Pride

21' Sea Ranger/Honda 150HP

-scallywag-

So i finally found a deal too good to be true, too close to home and picked up a barely used 1995 SR19. Been fishing it hard for the last month and am very happy with the layout. Here is a video we shot last week on a local 25-30lb yellowtail bite. We are fishing on the hook in 100' of water. Pretty much as good as it gets. You may have to cut n past the video web address....idunno???

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10204081060130089&set=vb.1332310273&type=2&theater

-scallywag-

If you cant watch the video, it is possible to fight fish around the cuddy. Although a hardtop or grab rail around the windshield would be ideal.
:party:

croaker stroker

Nice Video!  The best I've seen from our Small California group !!   :clap:

Where did you launch from ??

Hahaha.  You didn't want to get the deck bloody.   :beerchug:

If those are WestMarine Rod holders, be careful !!  Some have failed.  Only one loose screw holding the bracket to the tube.

Took a few screenshots of your video...

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

-scallywag-

haha cool screen shots!....how many 25lb yt fit in the sr19 killbox?  :biggrin:

and yeah even though i have a washdown I learned quickly to keep the deck clean if possible otherwise its tuff to get all the blood out of the bildge.. then the boat stinks and the girls dont wanna fish w me. I currently try to wash all the blood into the killbox then i pump out the kill box with a hand bildge. Really need to get a maserator pump on the killbox drain.

Yes those r the west marine rod holders and yes they suc balls!! I just completely disassemble/clean them and JB weld everything together. You can hang on them now and the internal bolts will not vibrate loose. We generally keep the drags fairly loose in the bow rodholders (4-5lbs)....the stern scotties r usually 8-10lbs....its fun to watch people struggle to get the rod outta the scotties when its pinned to the rail!

ChesapeakeArima

I do it regularly on my 19' Sea Ranger while fishing live bait for striper and blues on the Chesapeake.  There are typically way too many boats to consider any kind of release system.  Seems like the cownose rays that like to play interference are experts at running straight to our anchorline.  With medium weight spinning gear there is not much we can do to stop them.   

Anyway...It is not easy and I have lost some fish while trying to navigate my way to the bow but my kids and I love camping and playing in the cuddy so it's definitely worth it for us.  On my 19' Ranger the overall deck space and enclosed cuddy more than makes up for the lack of bow access.  Everyone that comes aboard can't believe how big it feels for such a small boat.
1997 19SR  2008 E Tec 115

wedocq

Scallywag,
Now that's some cowboy sh** right there!

So the question is, if you fell in, would you still hold onto the rod? :bigshock:  Every year, there is a very small handful of yellowtails caught here in Washington. My boat was lucky enough to land one 2 years ago. It was only about 8lbs, but it was tasty! On a side note, you got a kick butt girlfriend (wife?)!!! It looks like she really likes to fish, way cool!
-Shawn

CanvasGuy Gary

blindmonkey

40 lb+ fish should never be put in a box or bag, the proper protocol I believe is to hold it up proudly and navigate amongst the boats letting others see it and pay you many compliments  :jester:
Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8 SOLD
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

Wyrguy

Quote from: blindmonkey on August 12, 2014, 10:29:43 AM
40 lb+ fish should never be put in a box or bag, the proper protocol I believe is to hold it up proudly and navigate amongst the boats letting others see it and pay you many compliments  :jester:

Lorne, that must mean that you're heading back up to Nootka!!! :biggrin: :clap:

:rimshot:

Wyrguy Rick
'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250XCA O/S T9.9 Yamahas Yamaha Command Link Plus  iTroll throttle control
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Two Scotty HP 2106 DRs

blindmonkey

Well you never know cause Nootka was great on both trips although nothing too big and did not see anything caught larger than high twenties but at this time its Bamfield at end of month. I have to say the little SE has really fished well in my first season with it  :smile1:
Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8 SOLD
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD