News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Ethanol.... a tip from Boat US

Started by LvrWurst 21 SR Skip, October 22, 2013, 02:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

Tip of the Month:

Avoiding the Ethanol Blues

If your boat's engine runs on gasoline, then you need to be careful how you put your fuel to bed for the winter. These days, most gasoline you buy at a gas station or fuel dock comes with 10 percent ethanol, which can cause problems if stored for months, especially if the temperature is changing. Ethanol is hydrophilic - it attracts and holds water. Small amounts of water will be burned in the combustion cycle, but ethanol can only absorb so much water. When it becomes completely saturated, phase separation occurs, and the corrosive ethanol-water mixture sinks to the bottom of the tank. If the engine is run, this mixture can damage seals, O-rings, injec tors, and other delicate engine parts. The upper "gasoline" layer will be depleted of ethanol and have a reduced octane level, which can also cause engine problems. Leaving your tank half full for the winter can greatly increase the problems. First, there is more room in the tank and less fuel, which means more surface area for condensation formation and less ethanol to absorb the resulting water. Second, cycling temperatures from warm to cold also increases the amount of condensation. Finally, ethanol cannot absorb as much water at low temperatures as it can when it's warmer, so the gasoline will phase separate more quickly in colder temperatures. So what to do? If you can empty your tank completely, you should do so. If not, add stabilizer and fill it most of the way, leaving room for expansion and contraction of the gasoline. Click here for more advice.< /font>

http://smtp.boatus.net/t?r=3&c=26891&l=852&ctl=22460D:3C55CD38431F6DF1A74A7BA9794977B6&

19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

Hydro-Therapy

Filling the tank may be great for some with the smaller tanks. For me leaving $150 worth of fuel to sit over the winter to deteriorate does not make sense. So I drain it out and the wife gets a full tank in her car until it is gone. Makes for a happy wife !!!!

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

fishorcrab

HT,

1. How do you effect the transfer?  Syphon, pump, pull tank?
2. How do you check the stuff remaining for problems?
3. How much remains in tank after draining?

Inquiring minds, etc.    :shrug9:

Paul
SC16 Yamaha 4s 90
SP17 Honda 4s 90  - Croaker made me do it. :)

Hydro-Therapy

Fish

1 siphon most of it then use the primer ball off the kicker to get the rest.

2. I don't check it every year but when I did I pulled the tank and looked. No Junk in the bottom.

3 maybe a pint at the most.

In the spring I will put a gallon in and pump it out though the lines and then change my filter. So I know there is no old gas in the system.

H-T

Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

fishorcrab

Sounds like a thorough method.  I've got some work to do.

Thanks,
Paul
SC16 Yamaha 4s 90
SP17 Honda 4s 90  - Croaker made me do it. :)

Vancouvertechie

I love corn fuel!!!

Let's hope they don't get the 15 percent they are trying to push.

VT
2003 15' SeaHunter 50HP Suzuki (FI4Strk)
1991 16' SeaChaser 50HP Johnson (Keith)
1995 19' SeaRanger 115 Yamaha (FI4Strk)
1992 Zodiac Hurricane Honda 135HP
1987 44' Tollycraft Motoryacht

croaker stroker

I have had the best luck with condensation by keeping my tanks full.  I think it may depend on where you live. Down here, we have hot days and cool foggy nights. The heat of the day expands air in the tank. Then the cold of the night contracts and sucks the fog into the tank where it condenses and becomes water.  This doesn't happen when the tank is full.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

How to drain.....Whenever I acquire a used boat for projects, I use a 4-5ft fuel line with bulb attached and sipon off into 5 gallon jugs. Replace water fuel separator and in line filter in motor...then refill with Chevron 89. Use up the old fuel in car or give away to some needy person.  If a 50-1 mix...I leave the jugs at the marina for someone else to use. There are always takers for it..........Works for me.  JW
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!