Author Topic: Fuel gauge error?  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Long Trail

Fuel gauge error?
« on: April 21, 2011, 10:36:49 AM »
Fuel tank is full.
The fuel gauge is reading half?
Any ideas?

Offline Threeweight

Re: Fuel gauge error?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 10:50:43 AM »
Is this something that just cropped up, or has it been doing it a while?

Could be a bad spot in the wiring between the sending unit and gauge.  Sending unit could be sticking (if it is the standard kind, there is a wire swing arm in there with a float on one end, not very accurate to begin with and can jam, and the float can lose some buoyancy).  Could be an issue with the gauge itself (unlikely).

I'd start by inspecting the wires at the back of the gauge... gauge posts look good?  Any corrosion on it, or the terminals on the wiring?  Is the wiring itself good and flexible, or does it feel stiff and brittle?  Do a similar inspection at the fuel tank, where the sending unit mounts.  Check for any loose connections.  Try shifting your weight from side to side in the boat, to make the fuel in the tank slosh around... does the needle on the fuel gauge move?  If not, likely bad wiring or bad sending unit. 

If you want to replace the sending unit, look into the Wema units as a replacement... more accurate than the swing-arm types for about the same $$:

http://www.wemausa.com/tank_sensors/tank_level_sensors.htm
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Long Trail

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 07:11:29 AM »
Thank you.
The needle moves.
The wiring is good.
Let me try to shift the weight in the tank.
I will let you know if it works.

Thanks again,
Jm

Offline 58Johnson

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 04:08:32 PM »
My Wema guage recently said empty at the dock. Pulled boat, went to gas station. Only took 8 gallons till full (27 gallon tank). Ended up barely being able to get up on plane with full tank, full gear and two guys. Now I pull the back panel to visually check the level before I leave home - every time!
2002 Sea Chaser 15 11
Yamaha F70 Yamaha F8

Online Hunter

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 05:41:47 PM »
I don't ever trust fuel gauges on motorcycles, boats or airplanes.   Better to have a fuel flow meter and/or NMEA-2000 engine data to track actual fuel used...… that and the time tested rule of thirds...   JMHO
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 09:30:06 PM »
 :yeahthat:I don’t even look at my fuel gauge. Always take the cover off and visually inspect the tank level before every trip.
2008 19' SR ST-2008 Honda 135 and 2011 Honda 9.9 (bought 2019)
1990 17' SR-2006 Honda 90 and 15 (sold 2019)

Offline Ko Ho

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 09:12:25 AM »
I don't ever trust fuel gauges on motorcycles, boats or airplanes.   Better to have a fuel flow meter and/or NMEA-2000 engine data to track actual fuel used...… that and the time tested rule of thirds...   JMHO
:yeahthat:
Never had a boat fuel gauge that was accurate enough to count on, so I didn't even bother to install one when I bought my Arima new several years ago. I just pull the cover and look at the tank. BTW, those markings on the tank seem pretty accurate.

Offline Yachter Yat

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 09:14:27 AM »
   I agree. Just my opinion of course, but a fuel gauge on an Arima?.........How about a "you know what" on a bull.  Ha

Yat
"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel"......Maya Angelou
Yat
16 SC/Honda 60

Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle