Author Topic: Newb boat loading question  (Read 3096 times)

Offline Chasin Baitman

Newb boat loading question
« on: September 14, 2013, 07:22:08 AM »
Often when i pull my SE out of the water I notice it's in the EZ loader crooked, even though it looked even in the water (to me anyway). What am I doing wrong, and is there an easy way to tell when it's on the rollers a bit cockeyed?
2011 19' Sea Ranger, 2011 Suzuki DF115, 2011 Honda 8 kicker

"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

So.Cali

Re: Newb boat loading question
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 07:48:25 AM »
Mine sometimes does this too. I'll be interested to see what the guru's have to say about this.

Offline Chief of the Boat

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 07:51:48 AM »
What I have done to prevent the crooked loading is make sure the main engine is turned all the way as if you are turning right, this applies to the kicker.  Make sure you don't back the trailer in to deep, otherwise it won't properly self align.
1994 Sea Explorer 1511 loves whitecaps 2010 Yamaha F-70 2012 Yamaha F-8 with a  Fixed SaltBoss Bracket Lowrance HDS-5 & 7 Gen 2 Standard Horizon Fixed VHF 2150 with AIS

Offline Chasin Baitman

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 08:57:05 AM »

What I have done to prevent the crooked loading is make sure the main engine is turned all the way as if you are turning right, this applies to the kicker.  Make sure you don't back the trailer in to deep, otherwise it won't properly self align.

Yes it's possible I have been backing in too deep. Also, how does turning to motor all the way to the right help?  I like the tip, i just want to understand why/how it works.

"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

Offline Chief of the Boat

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 09:07:43 AM »
compensates for the weight of the kicker
1994 Sea Explorer 1511 loves whitecaps 2010 Yamaha F-70 2012 Yamaha F-8 with a  Fixed SaltBoss Bracket Lowrance HDS-5 & 7 Gen 2 Standard Horizon Fixed VHF 2150 with AIS

Offline Chasin Baitman

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 09:30:40 AM »
compensates for the weight of the kicker

gotcha - thanks!

Offline La-Z-Buoy

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 10:20:53 AM »
Guide boards or guide rollers are a good solution. Aside from that, are you loading alone? I always have someone with me and can tell them what to look for in loading. I always back in till the trailer fender just submerges, then line up the boat referencing the fender and the side of the boat. Works pretty good.
Richard

1991 19' Sea Ranger HT
DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Online Croaker Stroker

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 11:06:17 AM »
If its an EZ loader, Sometimes the trailer roller assemblies get moved.  They come in lefts and rights.  If you have a left one mounted on the right, your boat will not track correctly when loading.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline Tom Mac

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 11:44:16 AM »
Guide boards make it easy, that's what my trailer has and the boat goes on perfect every time. My last boat, what I learned there was winch it on and the rollers would follow the chines (don't put it to deep in the water). As well if it wasn't perfect when you pulled it out I would rock it back and forth and it would center it self.
1991 Sea Ranger 17, 2014 F90 Yamaha, 2008 T8 Yamaha

Offline Chasin Baitman

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 01:25:46 PM »
Guide boards or guide rollers are a good solution. Aside from that, are you loading alone?

Nah, I usually have my dog with me.  But he's useless :P

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 03:14:52 PM »
Better than my new boat dog... she goes out of her way to make trouble  :doh:

I have a Shorelander roller trailer... my boat centers pretty well, but one thing I have noticed is that if it isn't perfect, a couple of bounces  on the way up the ramp tends to settle it in place.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Tom Mac

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 03:48:51 PM »

I have a Shorelander roller trailer... my boat centers pretty well, but one thing I have noticed is that if it isn't perfect, a couple of bounces  on the way up the ramp tends to settle it in place.

This I did as well with my old boat and it would centre it
1991 Sea Ranger 17, 2014 F90 Yamaha, 2008 T8 Yamaha

Offline Steve

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 07:19:12 PM »
Sticky or stuck rollers can also cause the boat to not center while loading.
2006  21' Sea Ranger HT
2006  150 Honda
2011  8 hp Honda High Thrust

Offline wedocq

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 10:38:51 AM »
What I have found is if I put the trailer too deep in the water, it allows my back end to drift a little as I am pulling it out. To keep this from happening, I don't put the trailer in quite as deep, and crank the boat onto the trailer a little more. The boat usually will line up better this way.
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki DF175 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Offline Wyrguy

• Fisherman
  • Intellectuals solve problems,geniuses prevent them
  • View Gallery
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 02:35:45 PM »
This is the first bunk trailer I've owned and I was a bit leery of ease of loading/unloading at first, especially with the larger boat. The first launch convinced me that with the rear sponsons, the Arima floats off without having to bury the rear end of the truck into the water and when retrieving the slight angle of the bunks closer together at the front end also seems to help keep the hull centered. A friend with a 23' Grady and a bunk trailer has a hard time getting his boat off or back on at low tide on some ramps... (its a heavy pig) Another friend with a 20' Double 'Beagle' (Eagle) and the same trailer as mine, except with rollers... its a crap shoot to being able to get it on straight. After the last time watching him struggle, we dumped the boat back in and spent the rest of the afternoon adjusting the angle of the rollers (and yes, some of the yokes had been installed backwards like on Croakers pics  :doh:) It went on better after and we've also since changed out the keel rollers to 'self centering' ones. Seems to help a bit but still a beast at low water  :shrug9:

Rick
'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250 O/S & T9.9 Yamahas c/w iTroll
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer c/w stainless disc brakes
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Scotty HP 2106 DR's c/w 15 lb glow ballzzzz!

Offline Kahunanui

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 03:58:54 PM »
My Arima SC16 came with rollers and loaded crooked when ramp had tidal flow and depending on ramp would try to get off the trailer a little quicker than I preferred on some ramps so quickly swapped the roller  trailer for a bunk trailer and at least on this side of the world most times you power on and float off but many back off the trailers, seldom use the crank much but I upgraded the manual winch from standard to stronger and then rigged out a block and tackle arrangement to double the pulling power and can load that little boat even if it was full of buckshot.   That is why I sit here worried about my bow eye with all the posts on that subject.

I think the bunks distribute the weight of the hull and bumps on the road a little more gently on the hull.

:twocents:
Stay Pono,  Lawai'a        -        U.S.C.G. -  O.U.P.V.

2001 SC 15'11" 75 hp Honda re-carbed to 90 w/ 9.9 Honda boot. Hawaii is home, currently @ USMC Camp Lejeune NC

Offline Salmon King

• Fisherman
  • Fly your flag proudly and thank a veteran!
  • View Gallery
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2013, 06:06:20 PM »
I made it a point to adjust the rollers when I put it on the trailer the 1st time I ever loaded it.
It took me most of an afternoon to get it right (mostly because I have 24 rollers on my trailer).   Now even with tidal flow it goes on straight every time.
Thankfully I have an elect. winch or I'd have worn out my arms and shoulders that day.

I have to agree with the others in saying that it is critical to proper loading for you NOT to put the trailer in too deeply.  Depending on how steep the ramp is I will generally leave the very top of the fender dry.
I boat alone and this gives me a dry step up onto the dock when launching and down when recovering.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14’ Sterling
9’ Pontoon (Bismarck)
8’ Pontoon (Hood)

Offline beancounter

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 02:31:57 AM »
Easiest way to load a boat on a roller trailer straight is while boat is in the water. Remove rollers and sell them to some other sucker like yourself. Then get a couple big ol bunks and install. Next drive your boat right on up to the winch stand. Done.

Offline GregE

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2013, 07:07:17 AM »
My bad electric winch switch has been ordered- in the mean time I've learned to bring SFF along while I stand in the back of the boat to keep it balanced.  Bet his arms are still tired from cranking Kodak on... :applause:
Greg
Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT; SL 22 Honda 225
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:  Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat;
SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Offline Kimbrey

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2013, 07:40:45 AM »
When I bought the SL that I had the trailer had the guide boards that were wrapped with the standard carpet material.  I did notice the gel coat was marred from the boards so I removed them.  It actually took a fair amount of buffing to get the marring out.  I finally learned to not back the trailer in so far.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth

Offline familyrig

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2013, 08:56:56 AM »
My Sea Ranger has the plastic strips over the carpet bunks.  It aids in loading & unloading tremendously.  You do have to be careful, the boat will off-load itself if you detach to early.  My little Sea Explorer is on a roller trailer that does not seem to "roll".  I feel like I am forcing the boat on & off.  Add another winter project.....
1987 Sea Explorer 80HP Mercury 6HP Suzuki/ 1990 Sea Ranger 17' 115HP ProV 8HP Yamaha 2 Stroke

Offline fishorcrab

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2013, 09:59:40 AM »
2 yrs ago, I replaced only the front and rear center rollers on my EZ-Loader trailer.  Could not believe the difference in launching & recovery.  Almost lost my SC16 on the ramp. I had loosened the winch brake but had not removed the safety chain.  First time launching with the new rollers, the safety chain was tight when I got out to finish launch.  I had not realized how much friction there was with the old rollers.

I used to have to back down and hit the brakes to launch. Now it just takes a little hand push to complete launch.  The rollers were that way when I bought the boat.

Wish the center roller axle came with a zerk fitting.

Paul
SC16 Yamaha 4s 90
SP17 Honda 4s 90  - Croaker made me do it. :)

Offline LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

• Fisherman
  • 17 SC Sold Currently Arimaless
  • View Gallery
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 10:34:00 AM »
FYI: The dealer that had originally set up my EZ Loader Roller Trailer for an '89 19 SR was really screwed up and I was about to convert it to a bunk trailer.  No matter how we loaded it was always off center. It turned out the rollers were landing on the hull strakes. We moved the roller assemblies outboard apx 12-16 inches with strakes centered between the rollers. We then extended the padded side bunk upward about 12 inches locating them above the side strake right over the where Arima has their logo.   El Perfecto! Drive-on/Drive off. Whether trailer was on steep ramp or shallow ramp, drive on until bow of boat nests in the V Chock... winch tight...clip safety chain........pull her out and boat was centered perfectly.
Sorry, I don't have pics, but Amazing Grace might have some for my old boat.
Respectfully submitted, JW
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

Online Croaker Stroker

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 07:59:15 PM »

My boat is crooked on the trailer right now.  30mph wind last time out.  I used to worry about it, but I don't care anymore.   :biggrin:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline Hydro-Therapy

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 07:45:53 AM »

Familyrig you may want to take a look at the bottom of your ranger. The plastic strips on your bunks are called Slick bunks and are Not designed to be used with a fiberglass boat.They are harder than gelcoat and will scratch and gouge the glass. They also will peal bottom paint real nice too.
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D