Author Topic: Newb boat loading question  (Read 3138 times)

Offline GoodDays

Re: Newb boat loading question
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2013, 08:01:13 AM »
I trailer a few different boats of various sizes on a regular basis... #1 mistake I see people make is backing down too far.. both for launching and retrieving. I have all of my boats set up so that the can be driven right on and off their trailers.

GoodDays Greg

Offline pnwislanddog

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2013, 09:12:41 AM »
Greg, I don't understand. How is it a mistake to back down too far? Wouldn't doing so simply aid the ability to drive the boat on/off easily?

Offline GoodDays

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2013, 09:43:03 AM »
Backing down too far allows the boat to float all over the place.. You want to find just the right amount of submersion for your trailer that you can power the boat on and off under control and still allow the boat trailer to do its job. The boat should settle into the cradle as you drive on and slide out as you drive off. If your boat floats on, You will have issues with keeping it lined up on the trailer as you take it out of the water.  Hard to explain in words.

I almost never have more than a foot of winch strap out.. Often I just release the tension and unclip it. for loading, drive on Do up the clip and maybe a turn or turn and a half on the handle to tension the strap.   

Every trailer is a bit different but I find if I keep things so I can still get to the trailer tongue without boots or wet feet.. its just about right. Other gauge I use is the trailer fenders. The tops of the fenders are just out of the water.

Maybe I will try to film it one day ?

GoodDays Greg
I quite often boat alone.. or with kids so I do most of it myself.

Greg

Offline pnwislanddog

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2013, 10:32:32 AM »
Thanks, Greg. That makes sense. Launching and retrieval is still new enough for me that I stress a bit about it. Perhaps I'll take a quiet day at the ramp and find the sweet depth spot for my boat/trailer. Then I'll install a depth locator something-or-other for my launch helper. That will help them get the trailer into the water correctly.

I usually launch at a local ramp that has no dock facility whatsoever. This means that I'm on the boat and a helper must drive the vehicle/trailer. That means that I can't launch or retrieve by myself. However, the ramp is very convenient and usually vacant except on very nice weekends.

Offline Croaker Stroker

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2013, 01:31:37 PM »

+1...Tops of the fenders 1" out of the water.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline fishorcrab

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2013, 03:56:09 PM »
Perhaps I'll take a quiet day at the ramp and find the sweet depth spot for my boat/trailer. Then I'll install a depth locator something-or-other for my launch helper. That will help them get the trailer into the water correctly.
Depth indicator could be as simple as a one or two inch wide contrasting horizontal stripe on your trailer fenders across the leading edge and wrapped around  the side of the fender such that either you can see the leading edge in your rear view mirror or your helper can tell when the depth is right and signal you to stop.  The stripe could be paint or reflective tape that would even show up at night as a reflection of your truck's brakelights.

Paul
SC16 Yamaha 4s 90
SP17 Honda 4s 90  - Croaker made me do it. :)

Offline GutZ

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2013, 10:27:38 AM »
I wish I could drive on /drive off. I could not easily get to the safety chain over the bow of my SC. + being handicapped , I need to use a ladder to get in and out of the boat while it is on the trailer. And who would be driving my truck? I suppose if I had some help I could do it easily enough.

One thing I do that I think really helps out is wearing waders. You see so many people going through gyrations trying to keep their feet dry :hoboy: .

I also have a 50' bowline. Some of the launches I use are set up poorly for launch/retrieve. (Mercer Island, Lake Sammammish)
It's always good to have a plan.
It's always better to have a good plan.

Offline familyrig

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2013, 08:39:13 PM »
Hydro-therapy,

Thanks for the tip.  At this time I do not see any marks but I will be checking a lot closer from now on.  I will be removing them if that is the case.  I have to be really careful around the friends I take fishing, they see the bunks & want to unhook the boat before I hit the ramp.  They seem to roll better than the bunk trailer on my Sea Explorer.

David
1987 Sea Explorer 80HP Mercury 6HP Suzuki/ 1990 Sea Ranger 17' 115HP ProV 8HP Yamaha 2 Stroke