News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Outboard lower unit rebuild

Started by Vancouvertechie, July 29, 2013, 07:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vancouvertechie

Has anyone done this before?  Should I give it a try? 

VT
2003 15' SeaHunter 50HP Suzuki (FI4Strk)
1991 16' SeaChaser 50HP Johnson (Keith)
1995 19' SeaRanger 115 Yamaha (FI4Strk)
1992 Zodiac Hurricane Honda 135HP
1987 44' Tollycraft Motoryacht

Seattleflyfisher

John.....YES

There are a ton of you tube videos on this subject. Easy job.

gd2b50

We had to do many things to our f60 before the sea trial. One was to replace a waterpump. If yours has come apart I would recomend back flushing the engine with the lower unit off. My outboard still overheated after the waterpump was replaced. I ended up removing it a second time. My yamaha has a back flush attachment built in. +1 on ytube.
1991 1511 Sea Chaser
Yamaha 70
Yamaha 8

Sea Bear

Are you interested in replacing the water pump, or rebuilding the gears & bearings in the lower unit?
1981 Arima Sea Chaser 17'
Evinrude 70hp 2 stroke & Evinrude 9.5 Sportwin

www.americanbroomshop.com

Vancouvertechie

Rebuilding the gears and bearings in the lower unit.

Threeweight

You can buy complete re manufactured lower units to replace a bad one... the rebuild option takes some specialized tools, but other than that is pretty straight forward w/ a shop manual handy.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Caston

If your mechanically inclined I'm all for trying new things. Nothing ever seems as complicated as I imagined once its opened up.
'94 Sea Chaser 17
'97 Honda 90
'99 Honda 8
everyone goes home

Vancouvertechie

Thanks guys!  I am going to give it a shot unless I can find another lower unit new, used, or rebuilt.  For the time being I just obtained a 2001 50 HP Johnson 2-stroker...  I haven't run a compression test yet, but I will on Friday and do a test run. 

It's a start to getting me back on the water for now.  That is until I save enough coin for a new 4 stroke. 

I won't know how much work I will have ahead of me, but the initial cost was $200.00 for motor.  I did get a service manual, so I need to do some reading and youtube watching. 

So if anyone has experience with lower unit rebuild.  I can trade beer and what not for some assistance. 

VT

amazing grace

John, that does not look to be in bad shape. I have a 2000' Johnson on  a Wooldridge and it has been a great motor. Did TW tell you where to inquire about rebuilt ones. He mentioned it. Maybe you swap them lowers and some cash and you have a newly rebuilt unit. Depending on cost, that might be a quick and viable option. That motor could turn out to be another two stroke bad boy! :food:
Good luck.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Vancouvertechie

AG,

I hope you are correct.  I was able to get the motor mounted last night with some help from a neighbor.  If I have time tonight I will do a compression and spark test and possibly throw some muffs on it. 

Then start tearing apart the lower end.  As SF mentioned there is one gentlemen on youtube that goes into detail on the Johnson/OMC line.  So what the heck. 

VT

Sea Bear

If the compression checks out, you got a great deal on that motor.  Here's hoping you get out on the water soon!  :beerchug:

Vancouvertechie

Well it looks pretty good so far.  I got 145 and 150 psi.  Which I am happy with.  I hooked up the oil injection, fuel and muffs and she fired up.  Now I can get to work on the lower end and see what I am dealing with.

VT

Sea Bear

Excellent!  Look pretty clean under the hood.   :clap:

ak-angler

Looks good so far. Any idea what's wrong with the lower unit?
1985 Sea Ranger 17 Skiff Top with 2012 Suzuki DF90A - Sold

2007 Cape Cruiser Marinaut 26 with twin 2006 Honda BF90's

Vancouvertechie

AK,

That is the 1000 dollar question.  From what the previous owner has told me it is hard to say exactly.  But I just picked up a bearing puller, micrometer and a couple of other odds and ends from Harbor Freight on my lunch. 

I hope to have a good idea tonight and then ask for some help from the forum members. 

Here is a quick video of me starting it last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-SR_BhZeNU

Seems to run o.k. 

VT

woody

ak-angler

VT - Congratulations on getting her fires lit! Video is even better than pictures. :biggrin:

Any description from the previous owner of what's wrong with the lower unit? Won't shift? Grinding sound when in gear? Propeller locked up? ... anything?
1985 Sea Ranger 17 Skiff Top with 2012 Suzuki DF90A - Sold

2007 Cape Cruiser Marinaut 26 with twin 2006 Honda BF90's

Markshoreline

By you're quite the man!  I'd be in SO much trouble if I started an outboard in the house....
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Vancouvertechie

Quote from: markshoreline on August 01, 2013, 02:12:53 PM
By you're quite the man!  I'd be in SO much trouble if I started an outboard in the house....

Do you like my garage floor?  It does make changing the oil in my cars nice. 

O.K. I dropped the lower end and drained a nice and very stinky oil/water mixture.  I mean it makes burnt hair smell like roses!!  The grommet and o-ring for the shift rod was loose and sitting above the housing that it screws into.  I can't seem to find my prop wrench so I can't get the prop shaft and bearing housing off until I do some looking.  I am interested in seeing what the gears look like. 

VT 

Sea Bear

This is a great thread, since losing a lower unit can be quite the nightmare.  Some of the older motors, you have a lot of trouble finding a used one.  It will be interesting to see how this turns out!  Rooting for ya!   :applause:

Seattleflyfisher

Mark, I started my old 2 stroke in the carport with the garage door up. I was in big trouble! The house smelled like an old 2 stroke oil for a day. :nono:

John.....nice project you are on!

SFF

amazing grace

VT, nice work. Those numbers are great. Nice to hear it run. You are going to love the torque and power of that motor. As I said earlier I love my Johnson 135 Ocean Pro. Unfortuantely it is going to the next owner :nono:. More on that in another thread. Good luck with the LUnit.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Vancouvertechie

Update:

I will get some photos of the forward and reverse pinion gears and what not.  The prop shaft looks good no major pitting and the gears look good also.  The bearing housing assembly came out really easy with the puller.  I did it by hand and no need for a wrench.   I need to find a way to loosen the nut on the bottom of the drive shaft and I can replace the pinion bearing #0382343.  The clutch dog looks good.  I am going to replace the bearings, thrust bearings, o-rings, fill & drain plugs and washer.  I hope to have it back together this week after cleaning the parts and waiting for the gasket set. 

Definitely going to replace the o-ring and bushing for the shift rod assembly.  I cannot believe that thing was not even screwed in when I dropped the lower end.  Need to pickup some loctite 680. 

The smell from the lower end oil was ten times worse than running the 2-stroke in the garage.  My wife could not smell the two-stroke after the test run, but when I broke open the lower unit she wanted the doors to the garage opened!

VT

CanvasGuy

Thanks john for the great info.. :applause:
were all rooting for you... GO JOHN!!! :yeahthat:
Gary Smart
boatless  now
http://www.smartcustomcanvas.com
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." Arthur C. Clarke

Markshoreline

John
Do you have a diagnosis yet on why the lower end doesn't work?  What did it not do before, go into gear or not deliver thrust?
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9