News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Kicker Bracket?

Started by Seadog, July 29, 2013, 06:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seadog

I'm a new Arima owner.  I am assuming this is a kicker bracket.  Could someone confirm and tell how the bracket is supposed to work?  Any other parts needed to make it operational? 

croaker stroker

I've got one of those too.  Best I can figure is one of those aluminum outboard brackets slips in.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

TheDoctor

I believe this is a form of "jack plate," or adjustable motor bracket transom adapter.  One of many ways to attach your kicker motor.  Marine Tech makes these, and I believe you can still buy both the bracket and transom adapters.  You slip the motor bracket on to the adapter.  They probably work fine, but have a load limit of about 85 pounds for the strongest version, so you have to be careful and use a small motor.   If I recall, Cabela's sells something like this.

TDR
2008 SR19 : '08 Honda BF135/BF8

Tom Mac

I had one on my last boat the bracket slides in, you are missing that part. It was good when we water skied I was able to pull the kicker and bracket off the boat so the rope would not catch on it. I think it would be to light duty for a 4 stroke.
1991 Sea Ranger 17, 2014 F90 Yamaha, 2008 T8 Yamaha

La-Z-Buoy

Seadog,

Here's how they work. I don't know if they originated at Arima or not. Was on my boat when I bought it used. The kicker bracket slides into this adapter. My bracket is a Garelick 4 stroke kicker model. The adapter compensates for the angles of the sponson.

Richard

Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Chuck Jones

LZBoy:  Is that a Honda kicker you have on there?    I was under the impression that the weight limitation for the bracket wouldn't hold up over time to the heavier four stroke kickers.  That bracket is, as was previously stated....mainly to compensate for the angle of the sponson so your outboard sits perpendicular.

On my Yami kicker, I don't have a bracket like that so  I just repositioned the stops on the kicker to the #3 holes so that is hangs perpendicular in the fully down position.

I had a wedge type bracket on my previous 19 SR...and it failed while towing.  Dropped the kicker onto the highway where it skittered along on the asphalt held by the control cables.  Not a pleasant sight to behold. 
(91) 19' Sea Ranger HT....SOLD 5/2013
(07) 21' Sea Ranger HT.....SOLD 3/2014
(05) 21' Design Concepts ...4/20/14

I often have silent thoughts in my head, but sometimes I worry about what they're thinking

Chief of the Boat

YIKES,
Chuck that is not what Richard wanted to hear.
I have found out on kickers and brackets is pay it now or pay it later plus more.  Eventually you will have to do it right and spend some coin.
:twocents:

Chuck Jones

When you consider that you're putting (potentially) a $2700 kicker on the back and attaching it with some sort of bracket, it doesn't pay to chince on the bracket.  I will probably go to the Salt Boss bracket when the gas cylinder on the OMC gives out.  That fixed SB bracket has the offset  angle built into it so you don't have to mess around with any sort of intermediate compensating wedge, and it's BEEFY.

I often have silent thoughts in my head, but sometimes I worry about what they're thinking

La-Z-Buoy

Quote from: Chuck Jones on July 30, 2013, 03:21:36 PM
LZBoy:  Is that a Honda kicker you have on there?    I was under the impression that the weight limitation for the bracket wouldn't hold up over time to the heavier four stroke kickers.  That bracket is, as was previously stated....mainly to compensate for the angle of the sponson so your outboard sits perpendicular.

On my Yami kicker, I don't have a bracket like that so  I just repositioned the stops on the kicker to the #3 holes so that is hangs perpendicular in the fully down position.

I had a wedge type bracket on my previous 19 SR...and it failed while towing.  Dropped the kicker onto the highway where it skittered along on the asphalt held by the control cables.  Not a pleasant sight to behold.

Where did hear that Chuck? Right now it seems sturdy as heck. I don't remember any body actually verifying that it was an Arima unit but I'll listen very carefully to anyone who can and tell me the specifics. Wow  :bigshock: If I'd known that I might have been all over SFF's fixed bracket he just sold.
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT

Chuck Jones

LZB:  I don't recall exactly where I saw or heard aobout a specific weight limitation, but I know that the OMC brackets were built for two categories of kickers.... the lighter (2St) kickers and the heavier (4St) kickers.  As I recall, there was a weight figure of around 85 pounds for the 2St and up to 115 pounds for the 4St on the OMC articulating brackets.  That doesn't take into account the limitations of the wedge type mount that we see in the pictures.  This would be something for either Belinda or Defiance to address.  It stands to reason that there has to be a weight limitation for the wedge.

Are the newer Arimas being built with that stainless wedge on them?

billsarima

High Hopes a 1987 Sea Chaser 17', Honda 8hp and 90 vtec, with scotty 1106's, Lowrance HDS5

La-Z-Buoy

Chuck,

The kicker bracket is a 4st rated bracket but that leaves the question about the wedge.

Bill,

Nice fix. Did you do the fix? If you did where did you start? Was there a wedge on there first and to put that bracket on what were the particulars with regards to mounting it on the sponson?
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT

Hydro-Therapy

Ok guys here is the Saltboss solution. This bracket is on my brothers 17SC. It is very solid and manual tilt of the motor is very easy,even for an old fart like me.After actually using it on  the water myself last week I like it allot better than the OMC bracket that he had before. The motor is solid and not bouncing like it was before. The installation of the bracket was real easy also . Slid it into position and drilled a couple of holes and bolted it on. This is one slick unit that is more than strong enough for the 4stroke motor that will be put on it in the future.

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

xplorz

Here is my solution. It attaches to and hides the original stainless steel wedge. It works on a Honda without having to remove the carry handle.

For more info click here.
'89 Arima Sea Chaser 17, 98 Honda horses.

Grizzle

I don't know what the weight rating is on those wedge brackets or if a rating was ever determined.   They have worked well for most folks and proven to stand the test of time as some may be as old as 30yrs.  My recommendation is that you closely examine the unit and monitor its condition if you choose to use it.  There have been failures and my only concern with them is the possibility of crevice corrosion inside the spot welded flanges which may be hard to see. 

Removing these wedges is about a 2 hr job when doing it the first time.  You have to remove a portion of the port locker, excavate several inches of foam, and access the nuts on the back side of those carriage bolts.  Fortunately for you this wedge is installed a few inches below the rub rail.  For guys like L-z-boy theirs is mounted higher and those are very difficult to remove because of interference from the bait box.

In my opinion if you are going to use a mechanical bracket I would inspect this wedge to verify it is fit for service and continue to use it.  Pay particularly close attention to the inside dimensions of the bracket and make sure you get a mechanical bracket that will fit in it snugly.  Too wide and you will need to modify your new mechanical bracket, too narrow and I don't think it will be as strong.

If you want to get a fixed bracket or have one fabricated you have an infinite number of options available to you.  My opinion is that trying to salvage this wedge or modify it will not save you money because custom work is very expensive unless you or a buddy are doing it.  Best option is to remove the wedge and install a new fixed bracket on a clean transom.  Some people do not have that option for various reasons and you can see some of the excellent solutions they've come up with.

If you have further questions please ask, lots of great experience on this board
Brook Stockton - My Boat: Mighty Molly - The Fish Monger - Arima SeaChaser 16 - Soft SkipTower and "The Rack"

SALTBOSS™ MARINE - Offshore Marine Products & Fabrication - http://saltbossmarine.com - brook@saltbossmarine.com - 206-953-SALT (7258)

La-Z-Buoy

Thanks Grizzle, lots of good info. One question, when you did dig through the foam, what did you find with regard to how the wedge was attached? Was there just washers and nuts or was there some form of backing plate?

Richard
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT

Chuck Jones

I recall a previous discussion on this subject...and comments that the nuts in some cases were tacked to the backing plates so that if you took out the bolt, you could re-thread it into the tacked in nuts and tighten everything back up.  In other cases, the nuts were not held in place and dropped down so that the bolt couldn't be cinched up.  This then requires you to go in and perform the task as previously noted above.

If you do have the nuts tacked in place, for me, I'd take the specs and have SaltBoss make up a fixed bracket with holes to match the bolt pattern.   I had a wedge on my previous Arima that was bolted to the kicker mount...the welds in the wedge failed, and the motor fell off onto the roadway.  I replaced the wedge with two sections of rectangular aluminum stock 4x2x10(3/16ths thick walls) that's hollow inside with enough clearance inside to put a wrench on nuts with the existing bolt pattern, then I drilled new holes for the kicker mount  The only drawback is the fact that the new wedge didn't have the angle offset for the sponson, so I had to adjust the trim pins on the kicker motor to make it perpendicular to the water when in the down position.

La-Z-Buoy

Chuck,

I PM'd Belinda and she's going to speak to Don get back to me. I will relay her response when I get it.

Richard
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT

Grizzle

Because these are carriage bolts the nuts will not be tacked to the plate or strips.  You will likely find two 1.5" x 7" metal strips used as a backing.   I almost always use either doubled up fender washers or small plates for backing. 
Brook Stockton - My Boat: Mighty Molly - The Fish Monger - Arima SeaChaser 16 - Soft SkipTower and "The Rack"

SALTBOSS™ MARINE - Offshore Marine Products & Fabrication - http://saltbossmarine.com - brook@saltbossmarine.com - 206-953-SALT (7258)

Chuck Jones

LZB:  I believe it was Grizz who addressed the fact that he had installed/de-installed a number of the kicker brackets, and he saw a variety of backing plates for the wedge....some of which only consisted of a small metal plate, others were a strip of metal.  The point being that it's not only the stress limitations of the wedge itself, but also the installation of appropriate backing plates and bolts for the wedge itself.  It would appear that different dealerships did things differently, so someone's explanation of what they saw during a re-install may not be the same for the next fellow's installation.  There's also the issue of what sort of bolts/nuts were used...stainless, galvanized, or standard hardware.  We've already seen a variety of hardware in the threads dealing with the eye bolts on the bow...what's to say we don't encounter the same sort of variations in the kicker mounts?  I don't want to launch a discussion that gets down to the level of analysis paralysis...but it seems that the end results are governed by the particular installers with an apparent lack of standardization.

billsarima

Quote from: La-Z-Buoy on July 30, 2013, 07:28:18 PM
Chuck,

The kicker bracket is a 4st rated bracket but that leaves the question about the wedge.

Bill,

Nice fix. Did you do the fix? If you did where did you start? Was there a wedge on there first and to put that bracket on what were the particulars with regards to mounting it on the sponson?

The bracket I pictured was a fixed stainless bracket.  My point was just get a fixed bracket and problem solved...
High Hopes a 1987 Sea Chaser 17', Honda 8hp and 90 vtec, with scotty 1106's, Lowrance HDS5