Author Topic: Seat hardware question  (Read 2425 times)

Offline AlAdams

Seat hardware question
« on: July 16, 2013, 08:30:57 AM »
I've decided to finally upgrade the seats on my SR - getting rid of the original Arima seats.  Looking at the Centric SAS II's.  My question is with the seat hardware.  I'll need to buy seat mounts to fit on the pedestals.  What have you guys done?  Swivel, sliding etc etc?  Is there one that allows the seat to swivel 360 degrees without banging into the throttle controls?  Any suggestions as to where to buy these?  Walmart seems to be a good source for the seats but I'm a little stuck on what to do for the mounts.  Thanks!

Headed out to Neah Bay tomorrow afternoon.  I hear the silvers are thick, some pinks and some kings if you can get through the silvers.  Taking my fly rod to play with the silvers - hopefully after I've got my kings.  Can't wait!!  Anyone else planning to be out there?  Al
You can't trust water, even a straight stick will turn crooked in it - WC Fields

'88 SR w/Skip Tower  '02 Honda 90,'02 Honda 15
Electrical by R. Wyrguy.

Offline Croaker Stroker

Re: Seat hardware question
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 11:20:37 AM »
I looked everywhere and could not find any spiders that were compatable with the old pedestals.  The posts are an odd size. I wound up buying new pedestals as well as seats.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline AlAdams

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 11:52:14 AM »
My pedestals are 2 3/8".  A lot of what I'm seeing available are 2 7/8" but the 2 3/8" pedestals and hardware are still made.  I prefer not to have to change out the posts if I don't have to.  Lots of discussion surrounding seats and really nothing I can find discussing the hardware to attach the seats. 
My wife said she would buy me the seats for my birthday - although I'm ok with what I've got (I don't really know any different) we have a 5 day boating trip planned in August and I think she wants to be more comfortable.  Comfort is good!
You can't trust water, even a straight stick will turn crooked in it - WC Fields

Electrical by R. Wyrguy.

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 12:02:53 PM »
My guess is you will have to replace the pedestals.  Which stinks, because mounting them is a significant project (the old bolt holes won't match any new bases.  This is an issue with the pedesta/seatl manufacturers, rather than Arima... they have a planned obsolescence racket going by changing their bolt patterns/pedestal diameters periodically.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 12:17:31 PM »
I have a spider for the smaller diameter and Springfield make an insert....

STreamFixer
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

Offline Croaker Stroker

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 12:21:35 PM »

Here's how I made an adapter so I could use the factory mounting nuts under the floor...

http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=1943.msg19336#msg19336

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline xplorz

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 12:26:30 PM »
Al- I was in the same predicament as you a few months ago. I really didn't want to change out the orginial pedestals and I had newer Arima OEM seats to install. A little research lead me here:

Sportsmans Guide - Wise 2 3/8 Boat Seat Slider WX2-204079 $49.99 Not only is this the best price I found on a seat slider, it fits our 2 3/8 posts like a glove. The slider is nice because you can position the seat where it doesn't hit the controls when you swivel around.

PS, the Wise 2 3/8 Boat Seat Slider WX2-204079 $49.99 includes the spider, as seen in the RH pic.

I found a lot of stuff out there for 2 3/8 pedestals searching the web.........just no bases that can use the same holes in our floors.
'89 Arima Sea Chaser 17, 98 Honda horses.

Offline First Cabin

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 12:31:37 PM »
Al- I was in the same predicament as you a few months ago. I really didn't want to change out the orginial pedestals and I had newer Arima OEM seats to install. A little research lead me here:

Sportsmans Guide - Wise 2 3/8 Boat Seat Slider WX2-204079 $49.99 Not only is this the best price I found on a seat slider, it fits our 2 3/8 posts like a glove. The slider is nice because you can position the seat where it doesn't hit the controls when you swivel around.

PS, the Wise 2 3/8 Boat Seat Slider WX2-204079 $49.99 includes the spider, as seen in the RH pic.

I found a lot of stuff out there for 2 3/8 pedestals searching the web.........just no bases that can use the same holes in our floors.

Great find for the older Arimas!  I concur about the sliders.  Get them.  It is nice to be able to back the seat up so you can stand at the helm without the seat pressing against the back of your knees.
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Offline AlAdams

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 12:47:54 PM »
Thanks everyone!  I've got them on order.  The internet is fantastic but for me sometimes it's like going into a car dealership to buy a sports car and the salesman only wants to sell you a truck. 
Standing at the helm is something I try to do once in a while.  Problem is the skip tower is about 6'2" and I'm 6'4".  Maybe another 5 years of compression and I'll fit.

Electrical by R. Wyrguy.

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 12:50:50 PM »
I did something similar to Croaker's adapter.  The difference was that I used one of the original deck nuts to maximize deck connection and made the new base eccentric.  You can see it in my post (May 24, second page)  http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=4486.25

StreamFixer
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI

Offline AlAdams

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 02:40:34 PM »
Hopefully I won't have to change out the pedestal but if I do at some point I'll refer back to your thread.  Thanks SF.  Seats are on order too.  Gee, just a mere $600+ later and the wife will get to enjoy a little extra comfort on the boat.  All be told, I'll probably be ok with it too. 

Thanks again everyone!  Al

Electrical by R. Wyrguy.

Offline fishing eagle

• Fisherman
  • We Fish, We Boat and so We Live!
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 03:18:58 PM »
I don't know about many of the older Arima boats; but on my 2001 SR19 I had no reason to change the pedestals when I installed Centric SAS seats. My Centric SAS seats mounted right to the mounts on top of my pedestals with only four threaded bolts (1/4" - 20 I think) and it was just a matter to remove the four mounting bolts from original Arima seats and attach the ne Centric seats. The seat on the companion box also mounted directly to the swivel seat mount; but it was more of an issue than the pedestal mount. Getting the bolts out and then replaced to mount the swivel base to the fiberglass box was more work as my big hands just got in the way.
(Reel Delight) a 2001 Sea Ranger 19, 2003 Honda 90, 2010 Yamaha T8 w/power tilt, Panther T4 steering system, Hummingbird electronics, & Scotty 1116 electric downriggers.
U.S. Navy Veteran, member of U.S. Power Squadron & Past President of Lake George Fishing Alliance (Retired & ready to fish!)

Offline Hydro-Therapy

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 04:24:25 PM »

Al just a reminder on the sas colors.I Don't know what color scheme you ordered but  there off white is really white and to match the interior of a Arima you need the beige .

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 06:08:06 PM »
Al

You also need to remember;  for you, a happy wife, is a happy life.  She ain't happy, ain't nobody happy   :biggrin:

StreamFixer
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI

Offline AlAdams

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 01:26:05 PM »
I did remember some talk about colors - I ordered the tan/blue combo.  Don't remember seeing beige as an option.  It's probably the same. 

After 26 years the wife and I think we've got it figured out.  I treat her the way I want to be treated and vice-versa.  Seems to work ok - as long as I keep my masochistic tendencies at bay. Just kidding...

Electrical by R. Wyrguy.

Offline GutZ

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 08:40:04 PM »

I just ordered a pair!
Thank You
It's always good to have a plan.
It's always better to have a good plan.

Offline OnA

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 12:51:35 PM »
I did remember some talk about colors - I ordered the tan/blue combo.  Don't remember seeing beige as an option.  It's probably the same. 

AlAdams - How did that color combo using the tan work for you?

Offline xplorz

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2015, 01:55:35 PM »
I just ordered a pair!
Thank You

Yer welcome!
'89 Arima Sea Chaser 17, 98 Honda horses.