News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

"M" Bow Eye

Started by croaker stroker, July 12, 2013, 05:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wyrguy

Ps: I don't 'see' the problem with a single hoop bow eye... ???

Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250XCA O/S T9.9 Yamahas Yamaha Command Link Plus  iTroll throttle control
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Two Scotty HP 2106 DRs

Diablo

Rick, I think you have a bigger eye on your nice big boat. Is that 1/2"?
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

StreamFixer

It must be nice to have new toys to play with   :bigshock:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

croaker stroker

You don't "see" the problem until you take the boat off the trailer.   :jester:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

StreamFixer

Or when the eye is in your hand when you are trying to load the boat   :whistle:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Kahunanui

I am a bit concerned with my 'eye' when looking at the pictures of corroded 'eyes' and wouldn't mind distributing the load with three threaded nuts and correct washers on a much more substantial backing plate or shaped timber that better distributes the load.

Does anyone have a link to 'M' style fixtures with longer threaded parts.    Mr. Google and the internet have not yet brought forth before my eyes an 'M style eye' with longer threaded portions that would allow substantial backing to make the project move up on the future TO-DO list.

Seems like WyrGuy might have some appropriate views on bow eyes but also seems like he has a different circumstance on his vessel than some of the older boats.

Stay Pono,  Lawai'a        -        U.S.C.G. -  O.U.P.V.

2001 SC 15'11" 75 hp Honda re-carbed to 90 w/ 9.9 Honda boot. Hawaii is home, currently @ USMC Camp Lejeune NC

Danno

When I do a Google search on items that will return 95% results on similar items that are not what I want, I use the image feature. All you have to do is search on "Marine bow eye" and then click on the images tab and then search through the pictures. You will find a few of what you are looking for and as you review those items, you can see the name used to describe them and improve your search. In this case, M-style bow eye or double shank bow eye.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

Markshoreline

So, are there any search results that would satisfy our fraternity?

Or, are there any entrepreneurial members that would craft such an item for sale to us?
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Kahunanui

what I am looking for is an appropriate 'M' bow eye with longer shank or longer threaded area to allow a more substantial backing to distribute the load.   The DownwindMarine  bolt seems to be a bit short.    Plenty of longer legged single eye available but the double eye or 'M' style with a longer threaded area has not yet been located.     

If anyone does find a source for such an eye of appropriate material many of us could benefit with the link posted.

2001 SC 15'11" 75 hp Honda re-carbed to 90 w/ 9.9 Honda boot. Hawaii is home, currently @ USMC Camp Lejeune NC

fishorcrab

Step out of the box and take a fresh look at the problem. The desire for two bow eyes to allow the winch strap eye with winch safety chain that pulls horizontally to keep the boat from coming off the trailer until launch. The second is for a strap to tie vertically to the trailer to prevent the bow lifting off the trailer like the stern tie down straps do for the stern.

One solution is the M bow eye.  This solution requires drilling a third hole.  If you can accept drilling two new holes for the second bow eye, your choices for shaft size and length really opens up.  Just install a second SS bow eye below the first one. This one may not need to be as beefy as the first if its purpose is for attaching a hold down strap to the trailer rather than as a lifting point.

My SC16 came with a hold down strap that wrapped over the deck behind the  anchor roller and forward railing attachment then down to two eyes on the trailer.  This is another variation to hold the bow down to the trailer.

Paul
SC16 Yamaha 4s 90
SP17 Honda 4s 90  - Croaker made me do it. :)

croaker stroker

Or....buy two bow eyes of sufficient length.  Cut one, then take it to your welder to make your own M-eye.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Kahunanui

Good thoughts.   IF I were to replace the current Arima installed eye it would have to include a much more substantial and wider distribution of the load backing whether with two eyes or a beefier 'M' style eye.    This would allow options for anchor rode as well as winch and tie-down operations depending on the setting and circumstances.

Still looking for 'eye' hardware options.

Thank you

(and.... if you google the word beefier wondering if it was spelled correctly and utilize the technique of 'images' you will get more images not related to the inquiry than related to the inquiry which in and of itself is worthy of inquiry if you have an inquiring mind.)

Hydro-Therapy

The use of the bow tie down strap would not be needed if your bow roller is adjusted properly. The bow eye should be snug at the bottom of the roller. This not leaving any play for the bow to bounce. The only reason I could see using the M bow eye is if I was using Giant sized hooks on the winch strap and safety chain. That do not allow for them to fit. Which if that were the case, it would be total over kill on hook size.

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

StreamFixer

My strap hook is a monster.  I comes with the replacement strap.  The safety chain hook is 3/8" +/- as is the chain.  When there was tension on the winch strap hook, it was difficult to get the safety chain hook in the single eye.  Slack the strap and it was easy.

The reason for this project was my concern associated with the condition of what others have found with their eyes.  There was simply no easy way to verify that my bow eye was in good shape.  Woody had given me the 'M' eye about a year ago from when he ordered his.  I finally tackled the project.

Once I gained access to the inside of the eye, and found it to be in excellent shape, I could have stopped, patched the hole and all would have been fine.  However, since I had the 'M' eye, and some help to install it, and recalled the problems of connecting the safety chain without several extra steps, I chose to replace the original. 

That replacement is the subject of my above report. 

I still have the original eye if anyone who has found a corroded eye would like to have it.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Diablo

Quote from: Wyrguy on March 18, 2014, 07:12:46 AM
Ps: I don't 'see' the problem with a single hoop bow eye... ???

This is the problem.

Hydro-Therapy

Diablo where is the roller you should be able to see in your pic ?? I see that Huge hook for the strap ,it does have a tendency to fill  the eye. The reason I ask where the roller is ,it should be just above the eye. If it is way above or below the bow will bounce. If you adjust it to  its proper location you could eliminate the tie down strap.

H-T

Diablo

The 'Huge hook' is a normal strap hook. It was the same on my 17SR, no room. That is why I would like a M eye or a bigger eye like Rick has above...on the list.

Bow roller?? You need a bow roller?? The single bow roller that was on the boat was staining the hull and generally a piece of crap. I put a Polyurethane V-Style Bow Stop. I do have some trailer setup issues ....on the list.

What I don't understand is how you keep the trailer going straight down the highway.   :jester:

StreamFixer

Quote from: Diablo on March 24, 2014, 05:27:05 PM

What I don't understand is how you keep the trailer going straight down the highway.   :jester:

My hitch is very much like yours.  Fortunately, it is offset to the right about 2 feet so I have a good view down the left side.  You really have to be on your toes when running at freeway speeds.   :whistle:

You have to special wire your brakes to work right too...    :1zhelp:

StreamFixer

'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Diablo

You have to special wire your brakes to work right too...    :1zhelp:

Brakes??

croaker stroker

Wouldn't you just drive in reverse ?   :shrug9:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Diablo

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on March 24, 2014, 06:06:42 PM

Wouldn't you just drive in reverse ?   :shrug9:

I do have a backup camera. I would be like a video game...until the crash.

Hydro-Therapy

Now I know why he calls himself Croaker, He plays Frogger going down the freeway.  :doh: :biggrin: :jester: :hoboy:

H-T