News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Pantographic wiper install

Started by ak-angler, July 08, 2013, 12:19:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ak-angler

Well, I was all ready to go fishing this weekend, but the weather didn't cooperate (small craft advisory with 30mph winds and 7-foot seas :bigshock:). So instead, I spent some quality time on the boat in the driveway. Among other things, I decided to install the new wipers I bought last fall. I didn't get everything quite finished yet (switches are on order - and I still need to complete some wiring), but the hard part is done. I managed to drill a couple of holes in the boat and mount the new wiper motors, along with pantographic arms (AFI #33032A), and wiper blades (that ended up being too long :hoboy:).

And here's the best part - the motors were only $30 each! Well, $30 plus freight. But that would have been about the same no matter which motors I ended up with. So, I'm sticking with $30 for the cost. :berry: Here's a link to the motors I bought... LINK

So... That's the good news. The ... ummm ... not so good news is this - these motors come with a HI-PARK-LOW switch mounted on the chassis. And I didn't really want to be reaching into the cuddy every time I needed to turn 'em on or off. So, instead of paying $150-200 each for motors with proper wiring terminals, I decided to remove the on-board switches and reconfigure the wiring so I could mount switches where they should be - at the helm.

I haven't got that part done yet, but here's the plan:

• Remove the chassis mounted switches
  • Add a three or four post terminal block to each motor to allow proper wiring connections (debating whether I want the ground included on the block - it already has a separate terminal)
  • Route wires from new motors to the helm
  • Mount a pair of HI-PARK-LOW wiper switches at the helm (currently on order)
  • Remove old PARK-ON wiper switch
  • Route power to new switches

Now, the only thing I need to decide is what size wiper blades I want. I bought 12-inch blades to use with the 85-degree sweep, but they are just a tad too long. No matter how much I adjust 'em, they hit either the top or the bottom of the window frame. So, after much experimentation, it looks like I have two choices. Either use 11-inch blades with the 85-degree sweep, which wipes more vertical area; or use 10-inch blades with the 110-degree sweep, which wipes more horizontal area. I'm leaning toward the 10/110 setup to so I get the most width I can.

Either way, this should be a huge improvement over the single lethargic wiper that I had. I'll be able to wipe both windows, or each window independently if the wind is driving spray on only one window. And - my wife will actually be able to see when it's raining. :clap:

When It's all said and done, the final tally will be:

• Wiper motors: $30 x 2 = $60
  • Pantographic arms: $50 x 2 = $100
  • Wiper blades: $12 x 4  :facepalm: = $48
  • Switches: $8 x2 = $16
  • Wire: about $12
  • Terminal blocks: $7 x 2 = $14
  • Terminals: about $10

For a grand total of: About $260 plus freight.

Not too shabby, considering most places want to sell a similar motor that is non-switched, and pre-terminated for about $180+ each. So I saved about $300 doing it this way, or about 50% of the cost of parts, in exchange for an hour or so to remove the switches and install a couple of terminal blocks. To me, that's totally worth it. :biggrin:

Here's a quick picture I took of the motors/arms/blades mounted temporarily (they'll have to come off again when I'm ready to finish the wiring).

Oh, and I still have to clean up the mess I made on the fore-deck and fill the holes from the old wiper motor (epoxy in a couple of dowels and a cover 'em with a dab of gel coat).

1985 Sea Ranger 17 Skiff Top with 2012 Suzuki DF90A - Sold

2007 Cape Cruiser Marinaut 26 with twin 2006 Honda BF90's

pnwislanddog

Sounds like you have a solid plan and you've certainly done your homework. My older Arima also suffers from TWS (tired wiper syndrome), and I'd like to cure it. All the links you provide will save me a ton of time when I finally get around to it. Of course, here in the beautiful PNW, we seldom have to worry about rain spoiling our outings.  :arms:

Speaking as an ex-Alaskan, one thing puzzles me. Your use of terminal blocks simply doesn't conform to the Alaskan duct tape way of life. And a small patch of blue poly tarp will cover those old wiper motor holes just fine.  :biggrin:

Salmon King

Interesting solution AK...

Not to change the subject but I have to ask...
WHAT is the purpose of the strut in the center of the windshield?

S.K.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

ak-angler

It's a strut I installed to brace the skiff-top against the pounding in the chop. The screwed together aluminum window frames offer little support against the forward momentum of the heavy Fiberglas top. Now... if I welded the window frames into a solid unit, I probably wouldn't need the strut.

Markshoreline

ak
Great to see you back here!  Hope all is well for you now.

I have the single lethargic wiper so use RainX and when it wears off I swipe the wiper.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

CanvasGuy

Quote from: ak-angler on July 08, 2013, 05:30:54 PM
It's a strut I installed to brace the skiff-top against the pounding in the chop. The screwed together aluminum window frames offer little support against the forward momentum of the heavy Fiberglas top. Now... if I welded the window frames into a solid unit, I probably wouldn't need the strut.
Hi AK,good to see you posting ..nice wiper install thanks for sharing..
I thought the brace was just for that...after having rode in a couple 19's and a 21 Hard top..and seen the movement on  chop...
Another great benefit of having a custom Built Top that is as stable as the hull..
no shaking or extra movement on my setup..just love the headroom and stability
allowing access around the bow.. while playing a fish.... one handed though... :biggrin:
Gary Smart
boatless  now
http://www.smartcustomcanvas.com
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." Arthur C. Clarke

ak-angler

Thanks for the comments, guys. I know I haven't been around much - and my posts are pretty sporadic. I'm still dealing with family medical "stuff", but I do try to keep up with the site as much as I can.

Anyway, I got the rest of the parts in. So, I'm hoping to get the system properly installed this week. We'll see how that goes. I think I have a good plan for getting everything hooked up so it'll work the way I think it should.

I'll try to remember to take pictures... I know how you guys like pictures. :wink:

Markshoreline

Thanks for checking in, I'd really like to do the same upgrade but question whether the motors are up to salt water use.  What did you consider about that?  Please post your final install notes.
I've been pretty MIA lately too, with a honey do list that was driven by a 13 family member visit for daugher's HS graduation.  Now we're in boogie mode for a trip to Nootka on Thursday, yeah!  Can't
waitt!

ak-angler

My only real consideration was that the motors were only $30 each (plus $15 shipping). If I had to replace them every two years, I'd still be money ahead 8 years from now - even with freight. So... there's that.

Besides, they're Marinco motors. And, as far as I can tell, they don't make a 'saltwater' version. So, they should last as long as any of their other units.

SRanger

Wonder what they do to get a "saltwater" rating.  If it is sealed nothing should be getting inside to cause corrosion or damage.  Beats me why they charge an arm and a leg for these motors.  Same thing with the pot puller motors...although they are more exposed than the wiper motors on an Arima.  That is a good price you posted AK.  Curious how you rewire the switch:)

SR
99 19' Arima Sea Ranger HT,  Honda BF130/BF8.
88 17' Arima Sea Ranger ST,  Yamaha F80/Merc 8 (sold)

ak-angler

So... It took me a while to find the time to re-wire the wiper motors, but today was finally the day. AND, I even remembered to take pictures along the way...

As I said before, the motors had HI/LO switches mounted on the chassis, and these needed to be removed so that I could control them from the helm.

Opening the motors revealed the switch attached to some very short wires.

So, one by one, I snipped them off close to the switch, and marked each with colored heat shrink to keep track of which ones went where. After snipping the wires, I removed the switch from the cover plate.

Then, I plugged the switch hole with a grommet...

... and terminated the tiny wires (they are tinned, by the way).

ak-angler

Although they were plugged with some kind of liquid rubber, the main chassis has holes for studs, so I decided to use them instead of adding a separate terminal block like I had originally intended.

But, I did have to drill them out...

... so that I could add some nylon spacers for the terminal studs.

The only spacers I could find were too long, so I had to cut them down.

After cutting them to length, I inserted the spacers into the holes I drilled. They were snug, which is what I wanted.

ak-angler

Next, I gathered the nylon washers and brass terminal stud hardware, all bought at Lowe's.

Along with the wires, I assembled the studs...

... and inserted the stud into the holes with the nylon spacers.

With the wiring connected on the inside (yes, the two on the left are assembled incorrectly – I fixed it) ...

... I tested and labeled the terminals on the outside of the chassis.

ak-angler

Then, I made up a short wiring harness, and labeled the end terminals. Without it, it would be nearly impossible to attach the wires once the motor is mounted to the boat.

And, I capped the terminal studs with some vacuum line for a little extra protection from errant screwdrivers or whatever...

When I was all done, I have a pair of wiper motors ready to finish mounting to the hull, and wire to the switches.

So, in addition to a short chunk of wire, some heat-shrink, and a tiny bit of vacuum hose, here's the parts I used.

Hopefully this will help somebody else that's looking to upgrade their wipers on the cheap.

Good Luck!

Wyrguy

Rodd, Nice Job!!!  :clap:

I must admit, you've got way more patience than I do for that small stuff   :bowdown:

That was also creative use of the blue heat shrink to hold together the wiring harness...

Rick

'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250XCA O/S T9.9 Yamahas Yamaha Command Link Plus  iTroll throttle control
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Two Scotty HP 2106 DRs

GregE

Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

theSaltyPuddle

1985 SC 17, 2017 Mercury 90Hp

Kahunanui

Nice work and detail.   Thank you for the pics and the explanation.  very informative!

After such a nice post and realizing the extra time and thought you had to invest to kindly share with us I hesitate to ask about a detail, but here goes......

What are you using for label making? How resistant are they to time and the seagoing environment?

Thank you

Stay Pono,  Lawai'a        -        U.S.C.G. -  O.U.P.V.

2001 SC 15'11" 75 hp Honda re-carbed to 90 w/ 9.9 Honda boot. Hawaii is home, currently @ USMC Camp Lejeune NC

SRanger

Ordered 2 of the motors.  Thxs for the link AK.

SR

ak-angler

Quote from: Kahunanui on August 20, 2013, 02:32:19 AM
What are you using for label making? How resistant are they to time and the seagoing environment?

Thank you
For this project, I used whatever spool came with the cheap DYMO label maker I bought at WalMart. They seem to hold up fine as long as they aren't in the weather/salt. I've made some other labels on the machine my wife has at work. They hold up much better for exterior labels. I don't know if a different spool would help with the DYMO labels, or if there's something inherently better with the wife's machine.

Markshoreline

Ak
Great description of your work, thank you!

Sr. I'll help you with your project if you'll help me!

Wyrguy

Quote from: markshoreline on August 23, 2013, 07:47:17 PM
Sr. I'll help you with your project if you'll help me!

Darren, grab your camera and get it ready... we're all gonna need to see this!!!   :bigshock: :shrug9:

:arms: :jester: :arms:

Rick
'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250XCA O/S T9.9 Yamahas Yamaha Command Link Plus  iTroll throttle control
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Two Scotty HP 2106 DRs

SRanger

Uh Oh...what did I do now?  Tried to ring you yesterday Mark.  You have never seen my repair skills...you may regret my assistance.  That said, how can I help?  And "no" I am not going to check your bilge!

SR

ak-angler

OK... My dual pantographic wiper upgrade is finally complete. :clap: Well, almost. :whistle: I currently have the motors set for a 110-degree sweep and am using 10-inch blades that I had to cobble together from a couple of different sets. The problem is, I can't seem to find a source for 10-inch blades that will work with a marine style bayonet wiper arm. (Actually, I did find a set online, but they wanted $45 EACH for the blades!) So I robbed the good bayonet adapters from a set of 'marine' wipers, and installed them on a pair of Trico 10-inch automotive blades. The adapters don't quite fit the blades as good as I would like, so I'm going to pick up a pair of brass or stainless Chicago bolts to replace the plastic hinge pin to make sure they stay together properly. I certainly wouldn't want them to fall apart on the water...

Of course, I could always use longer blades that are actually made to fit the bayonet style wiper arms. But then I would have to set the motors for an 85-degree sweep. And, I would rather have the extra wiping width that the 110-degree sweep provides, instead of the extra height I would get from a longer blade. And, even if I can get everything working the way I think I can, I'll have to remember to keep the adapters whenever these wipers wear out - or, I'll just change the rubber inserts. I did that for years on my Jeep, and it worked great. Got two really short wipers? Just buy one long one, strip the rubber out, cut it in half, and install on the two short frames. (Yeah... sometimes it amazes me where I'll look to save a buck. :nono:) In the mean time, I'll keep my eyes open for a set that will work.

Anyway, no pictures of the rest of the installation process for now. I was in a hurry trying to beat nightfall (and I didn't quite make it). But, I did discover a few possible pitfalls that should be easily avoided if you know about them in advance. So I'll snap a few strategic 'after' shots and finish the write-up properly in a few days. Stand by...

EDIT: Crisis averted! I found (and bought) a set of wipers that came with a proper bayonet adapter that fits much better than the previously cobbled together system. And, as an added bonus, the wipers fit my wife's car. So... spare wipers for the wife and proper adapters for the boat. And, I don't have to worry about having to use any particular wiper in the future. Win-win-WIN!

Jwoo 1800

AK,
  What type/brand blades did you end up using? This will probably be on my winter project list and starting to price out the job.

Thanks
Jon
93 Sea Chaser 19'
94 Merc Black Max 135
05 Honda 8 Classic