News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Topside kayak rack

Started by kevininak, June 16, 2013, 09:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevininak

Anyone have rack ideas or pictures for a topside rack on a Sea Ranger HT? I have a couple of 17' kayaks that I would like to sling up and use the Sea Ranger to extend range of my paddling trips. Thinking I might have one of the local aluminum fabricators make a aft bar and mount some sort of saddles up on the hard top.

19' Sea Ranger HT
2013 Yamaha 115
Honda 9.9

Grilse

I've put tracks/ kayak cradles on the top of a van, Yakima brand as I recall. No reason why you couldn't do the same? I think they use stainless in most of their hardware. I don't know what the top of a Arima HT looks like, but if its anything like a pickup bed cap, couldn't be too tough.

My  :twocents:

Jeff
2005 SR19
1999 Yamaha F100
2005 Yamaha 8
Stabicraft 1530
Yamaha F60

allpauwork

Don't know where you live but I have an older Yakima kayak rack that I used to use on my truck bed.  I also have a pair of Yakima kayak saddles that will hold one kayak that fit factory roof racks and was used on two trips.  They are like brand new with locks.  We can talk price (cheap) as they are just sitting around. 

kevininak

Thanks of the offer on the Yakima gear. I have saddles and holly rollers already. Just looking for mounting ideas. My concern with only using the cabin top is that the kayaks are much longer and I think would be better supported with something farther aft as well as towards the bow of the boat/cab.
19' Sea Ranger HT
2013 Yamaha 115
Honda 9.9

Threeweight

I have seen guys use PVC tubing slipped into the corner recessed rod holders to create a frame at the back of the boat to hang a tarp from (w/ the front clipped to the back of their canvas.)  Not pretty, but it works.

PVC might not be strong enough for kayaks, but I bet some appropriately-sized aluminum tubing would work great when used the same way.  A couple of Yaks will weigh less than 200#.

I would skip the fancy saddles, and instead split some $1 pool noodles in half, and zip tie the foam to the crossbars.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Secret Spot

Here are some pictures of what I came up with for the Secret Spot.  The primary reason for this design and fabrication was to accommodate surfboards.  However, when I was putting the design together I purposely made the top of the racks longer to also handle my shorter Hobie Sport Kayak.  I plan on eventually getting kayak cradles to pad and position kayak right side up on the racks.  I also feel the padded cradle will provide more stability.  My Hobie Mirage Sport Kayak is 9'6" long and weighs 3 lbs.

The design consist of stainless steel pocket brackets permanently mounted to the transom and aluminum 2"X2" square stock removable trussed "T Racks".  The upright portion of the rack had to be cut, angled and welded to offset the transom angle and allow the racks when installed to be straight up and down.

kevininak's challenge is to accommodate a 17' Kayak that clearly needs to be positioned forward and aft.  That being said, the transom pocket brackets may work to accommodagte a rear support for positioning a 17' Kayak forward and aft on a Arima with a hard top.

Secret Spot

More pictures...