Author Topic: Bilge Guard  (Read 1489 times)

Offline fishing eagle

• Fisherman
  • We Fish, We Boat and so We Live!
  • View Gallery
Bilge Guard
« on: January 20, 2011, 03:51:10 PM »
One of the most annoying things I found quickly about my Arima was the way it ate my keys or anything else that I accidently dropped from hand or out of my pockets in my boat. Wow opening in the starboard panel in front of my fuel tank was like a huge mouth looking to swallow everything. How many lures are in your bilge. If it wasn't for some luck one day and some good fishing with a piece of wire, I would have had a long walk home from the boat launch went my keys were immediatly swallowed. Here is a trick to end that problem.. a bilge guard made from a piece of material I cut from some gutter guard I purchased from Home Depot. I cut the gutter guard to length and siliconed it to my starboard panel. The bottom edge is rubber which permits water to drain into the bilge but stops those other items from being gobbled up.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 04:10:33 PM by fishing eagle »
(Reel Delight) a 2001 Sea Ranger 19, 2003 Honda 90, 2010 Yamaha T8 w/power tilt, Panther T4 steering system, Hummingbird electronics, & Scotty 1116 electric downriggers.
U.S. Navy Veteran, member of U.S. Power Squadron & Past President of Lake George Fishing Alliance (Retired & ready to fish!)

Online Croaker Stroker

Re: Bilge Guard
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 04:20:44 PM »
That's a great idea. My problem is sardines keep flipping their way down into the bilge. (They are easy to locate a week later by the smell.) My wife says "What died in our back yard?" :jester:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 05:47:43 PM »
I have cut a strip of foam gutter guard that seem to work well.  $16 for a 4 foot stick, but you can do at least 6 boats with one stick.
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 04:17:58 PM »
I found the best solution is a product made by GAF called Cobra Ridge Vent. It is like a very course steel wool made of a rugged plastic material. I cut it to fit into all of the nooks and crannies that lead into the bilge area. It catches everything yet water passes through. When it gets really full of crud I just pull it out and wash it off.

Maybe you can find a roofer who will give you the remnant of a roll.

Offline woody

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 04:48:05 PM »
1/2

I know what you are talking about, but if you can look at the stuff Russ has mentioned.  It's about the same as soft brillo or plastic but handles water like the ridge material. Just easier to cut, easier to poke into crevices.  The solid plastic above is a little difficult to fasten.  I'll get Russ to post a picture or I will.

Woody

Offline fishing eagle

• Fisherman
  • We Fish, We Boat and so We Live!
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 05:49:53 PM »
I would like to see a photo of both other products you guys are talking about. I still would like something for the small corner opening on the port & starboard sides.

The plastic gutter guard I used works great for the fuel tank panel and easily attached with a few  spots or globs of silicone. You can also do a few boats with it and if I remember correctly the cost was less than $10 and I have extra for spare parts.
(Reel Delight) a 2001 Sea Ranger 19, 2003 Honda 90, 2010 Yamaha T8 w/power tilt, Panther T4 steering system, Hummingbird electronics, & Scotty 1116 electric downriggers.
U.S. Navy Veteran, member of U.S. Power Squadron & Past President of Lake George Fishing Alliance (Retired & ready to fish!)