Author Topic: Few Photos Metting Notes of the Elk Grove Arima Flotilla Gathering  (Read 1065 times)

Offline LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

• Fisherman
  • 17 SC Sold Currently Arimaless
  • View Gallery
FisherKev came by my house this morning to meet with Chuck and myself. It was a pleasure to see Kevin's shiny new CTW galvanized dual axle trailer under his '89  19 SR. We also enjoyed learning how he spiffed up his fiberglass to like new condition. Absolutely awsome "SHINE". Kev needs to give us all a lesson on how to spiff up old Din-Gee  fiberglass.

As you can see....we proved our meeting here with a few photos.... (whadda ya call it? A Gaggle of Arimas?) Lucky Chucky was in his usual supervisorial role as Kev 'n I installed Smart Tabs and relocated his transducer to accomodate same. Chuck did bring donuts and we made up some Major Dickinson's Special Blend of Pete's coffee. True to form, my bride made up a real Mexican BRRRLUNCH for us. What a gal. I think she is simply impressed that my age,  I still have a few friends. Hah!

Noteworthy: Kevin was wearing his official Arima hat that we passed on to him according to the rules of the "Arima Order of The Hat".
end of report

ps Cops & Code Enforcement came by after our meeting adjourned looking for a special meeting permit and asked if we had a traffic coordinator......everyone left just in time!
Respectfully submitted,   J Doo Dad
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

Seattleflyfisher

Re: Few Photos Metting Notes of the Elk Grove Arima Flotilla Gathering
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 07:47:51 PM »
How did he shine it up so nice.

SFF
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 06:06:35 AM by Seattleflyfisher »

Offline LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

• Fisherman
  • 17 SC Sold Currently Arimaless
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 07:51:55 PM »
Whoops...missed the transom view...photo here.. JW
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

Offline Chuck Jones

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 08:20:59 PM »
KEV said that he laboriously went over the entire boat with something like 1000 grit sandpaper on a sanding block...very time consuming and labor intensive, but the results were fantastic.  He's a very meticulous fellow.
(91) 19' Sea Ranger HT....SOLD 5/2013
(07) 21' Sea Ranger HT.....SOLD 3/2014
(05) 21' Design Concepts ...4/20/14

I often have silent thoughts in my head, but sometimes I worry about what they're thinking

Offline amazing grace

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 09:32:32 PM »
3-m Finesse it? Nice work. That hull came back to life.

JW, thought you were going paint that prop?

Good job on the smart tab install.

It is great to see you guys get together.

JW, I will attest to the fact that you are indeed a lucky guy! And not just because she is impressed you have a couple of friends
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

Offline strokersquid

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 11:47:47 PM »
were you just making up the part about the hassle from the coppers ? i hope so. when i lived in the big Sacatomato the police seemed to have better things to do. or perhaps were you in one of the wealthier suburbs where they don't have anything else going on ? I lived near Sac State, so the students usually kept them more than busy, so they didn't have time for such nonsense.

Offline fisherkev

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 06:31:20 AM »
A heartfelt THANK YOU to John and Chuck for spending several hours helping me work on my SR yesterday, for the hospitality and for the good conversation! I love the Hat...

The trim tabs were a quick install, maybe 30 minutes  :wink: they look great...the transducer was the hard one, took us about 2.5 hours...now just waiting on cure time before a test run out at the lake.

I received the new California Trailer Works tandem axle trailer earlier this week...AWESOME!  As many forum members have mentioned here in the past, a worthy upgrade if intending to re-power with a 4 stroke. CTW builds a really heavy duty trailer at a reasonable cost.  I can't even tell that I am towing a boat!

As for gelcoat restoration....there are many schools of thought on this subject.  My advice is to assess the level of deterioration and proceed with the least aggressive restoration approach possible (your shoulders will thank you).  For my boat the topside was the worst.  I used 800 & 1000 grit wet sand paper on a rubber sanding block.  Add a little liquid soap to the water in your bucket (reduces the surface tension as it is a surfactant), never sand in circles and sand lightly and always sand wet. I then followed the sanding up with 3M Finnesse-it (ultra fine rubbing/polishing compound) on a good wool polishing pad with a variable speed polisher on low speed (500-800) RPM and light pressure (maybe 10#). Never leave the polisher running in one spot...always be on the move.   On the bottom side I omitted the sanding step (not much oxidization) and went with 3M Finnesse-it on the same wool pad. Be sure to watch your transducer wires when using a polisher around them....

Then I just simply applied 2 coats of 3M Scotchguard Marine Wax with a good quality foam pad on my polisher and wiped of with a terry cloth. Everyone has their favorite products and methods but if you stay with the least aggressive approach you will achieve a great finish and minimal wear on your body. There are some great videos and publications on the Internet for gelcoat restoration.  I am sure that Starbrite, Maguires and other companies make great products too, I grew up using 3M and I am set in my ways...use whatever products you have faith in.  Kevin...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 06:38:34 AM by fisherkev »
1989 19' Sea Ranger

Offline GregE

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 08:31:40 AM »
Very nice pictures and writeups folks!!   :applause:
Greg
Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT; SL 22 Honda 225
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:  Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat;
SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait