News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Trailer Tires

Started by Markshoreline, May 06, 2013, 10:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Markshoreline

As part of the prep to haul LiLi out to Neah Bay, loaded and ready for battle, I've replaced the bunks, some fasteners and the tires.  My local Discount Tire store installed 2 Carlisle Radial Trail RH in 215/75 14.

Each of the trailer tires (counting the spare) were different brands and the spare was a different size.

I'd never heard of the brand before (I run Michelin on my cars) and they were made in China as I discovered after the purchase.  Total price with install, fees, lifetime rerpairs and replacement was $300. 

What do you know about trailer tire brands?  Are these OK?  I'm a bit unsettled about the brand.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Seattleflyfisher

I would take them back ASAP  :hoboy: :whistle: :doh:
:jester:

Threeweight

Finding a trailer tire that isn't made in China is a pretty big challenge these days.  I'd roll with them.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

strokersquid

these seem to be the standard trailer tire brand now.i have them on my boat trailer, jetski trailer , and utility trailer.

Hydro-Therapy

Carlisle are one of the biggest and best trailer tire mfg. In fact it is hard to find any tire stores that do not carry them.They have been around for years and have pretty good track record. They will get old and wrinkled before you wear them out.( Just like allot of us.)

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

Tom Mac

All 3 Trailers I own have that brand of tire and I have had no problems. I think you will be OK
1991 Sea Ranger 17, 2014 F90 Yamaha, 2008 T8 Yamaha

wedocq

discount Tire wouldnt back them if they sucked!
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Seattleflyfisher

My Gator Chaser had a blow-out on the trailer and I had them put 2 new tires on the trailer. I am curious to see what brand they bought. I know they were bought at SAMS club.

SFF

Hydro-Therapy

Guessing what brand of tires they got you   could be another lotto.  :party:

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

StreamFixer

I just put on two new tires.  Took the Tire to Les Schwab, They put them on, I paid the bill (less than $300 for sure) and have not even looked at the brand .....  Just looked...  They are Dynatrail (made in China).

I never shop my tires.  Been a Schwab customer for around 45 years and always been treated right...  Stores everywhere that I usually go and the owners often do special things, like being open Sunday when coming out of elk camp needing tires taken care of.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

La-Z-Buoy

Information from the RV forum I belong to says that in the past Carlisle tires were crap but they are now producing a good product.

Note; if your trailer has car tires on it I can't stress enough in saying put on trailer rated tires. Over and above the safety aspect the boat will tow much better.

And CHECK AND RECHECK THE LUG NUTS!!! - the ones on the wheels, not the one behind the wheel  :whistle: . It's not pretty when you lose one. Don't ask me how I know  :redface:  :doh:   :hoboy:

Richard
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Markshoreline

Glad to hear that Carlisle is ok, wonder if tires from China are from the same factory with different names stamped on them.  I liked it better when they had names like Chin Shin and you knew they were imported.  Carlisle sounds like it comes from the US.

The tire shop guy said that trailer manufacturers recommend changing tires each three years due to sitting so much that the sidewalls become stiff....

Seems I read somewhere on here that someone had to buy a tire because the shop wouldn't work on old ones... am I remembering that right?

At least one of mine was 10 years old.  We have a Les Schwab  in the North End of town and they do good work- I didn't shop, just needed to get them on in a hurry and this place was closest.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Fisharima

Mark, I don't disagree with the other postings however , I did lose a wheel due to a very hot bearing on a very hot day! With only one wheel per side I was real paranoid about the trailer.I now only use 450 degree drip point grease on my double axles and keep the buddies filled! I digress but  the trailer tires should be specifically for trailers ,as has been mentioned and a 4 ply rating is a better rating than a 2ply rating.I also believe radial tires are best. The RV folks recommend changing to new tires every 5years .Typically they aren't close to being warn out! I don't change them every 5 years at $100 bucks or more but I keep them covered in the summer  and keep the pressure as specified! I think 7 years is it for the boat and RV front tires for sure! Geo
Geo

strokersquid

i know for auto tires that none of the major auto tire stores will work, mount, or repair any tire over 10 years old. i have had brand new, never mounted tires in great condition they would not even look at. luckily there are smaller shops that will do this. i do not know how long a trailer tire lasts

allpauwork

I've been watching this topic with interest.  I have a small aluminum boat which I carry two spare tires on as we tow this boat on very long trips.  The tires on the trailer are older than the spares but the spares have sidewall cracking already!  The last tire shop I bought the trailer tires from said that all trailer tires are pretty much made in China these days.  I keep all four tires covered when the boat is stored.

I bought my Arima from a retired naval officer who has his own little fleet of boats.  He had the SE on regular car steel belted radials.  I have put on two new steel belted radials and it tows perfectly.  I do have a regular trailer tire spare for the Arima.  I always check the air pressure before taking the boat out and I keep the Arima on jack stands during storage.  The tires are also covered when stored.

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

Mark....2 tires for 300 sounds awfully steep.  I did 4 on one of my older trailers from Schwab for 400.00..can't remember the plies or rating, but they exceeded what I needed. The boat and trailer grossed out at over 4800 Lbs.

I've been a Schwab customer for years and they have done well for me on all of my trailer & car tires. Understand that their philosophy is to quote you the best and highest prices...Knowing that, I've always had my best deals by stating what my budget is and they have come up with quality tires that fit the bill. I'd be more concerned that your trailer tires are properly rated for your load range and that they will back you up with a warranty. J Doo Dad
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

BigMac

Only use radial trailer tires on boat (and I suppose other) trailers.  Also use the same type and size tires all around.

The trailer tires have more steel/strength in the sidewalls that regular passenger tires.  They are stiffer so there is less sway and stonger to take the weight.

I had a side wall blow out on one of the original Eze Loader Goodyear tires that had good tread and no cracks in the sidewall.  The tires were 8 years old.  Was told by Les Schwab that that was well over the recommended life of a trailer tire.  I believe he said about every 3-4 years was time to replace.  I replaced with higher weight rated tires that still fit the rims.

Also keep the tire pressure at the max recommended for that ply tire.

(Dave)