News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Wiper Motor??

Started by vxhatch, March 27, 2011, 12:50:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vxhatch

Arima doen't have any pantographic wiper kits for sale at the moment. Can anyone please measure how long the shaft is on the wiper motor or let me know the model number on the motor? Should be a number that starts with 34xxx.

Thanks for the help,

Nick
2001 22' SeaSport Sportsman

Grizzle

Don told me that "the magic" is to find any wiper motor that has an 80 degree sweep.  He suggested west marine or cabelas. 
Brook Stockton - My Boat: Mighty Molly - The Fish Monger - Arima SeaChaser 16 - Soft SkipTower and "The Rack"

SALTBOSS™ MARINE - Offshore Marine Products & Fabrication - http://saltbossmarine.com - brook@saltbossmarine.com - 206-953-SALT (7258)

polarbill1999

I should be able to get you a motor no problem.  I have the WWF wiper motors in stock.  The ones we have on the shelf are set at 110 degree sweep but we can change them to 45,65, or 85.  We have these available in a 1, 2 and 3 inch shaft.  They are actually 2 speed motors with 3 spade terminals.  Give me a call if I can help you.  I believe my email and phone number are in my sig line.  

Brett

PS my phone number is 800-234-2981.
Brett
1996 Sea Chaser 16 the "Rhumb Runner"
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

woody

Brett

Please keep us informed on this subject.  I have an 88 with the original wipper and motor, pretty bad.  Are you talking about replacing the motor? New holes, what?

Cost would be nice too. Partial set up? Full set up?

Woody

vxhatch

Quote from: polarbill1999 on March 28, 2011, 08:44:08 AM
I should be able to get you a motor no problem.  I have the WWF wiper motors in stock.  The ones we have on the shelf are set at 110 degree sweep but we can change them to 45,65, or 85.  We have these available in a 1, 2 and 3 inch shaft.  They are actually 2 speed motors with 3 spade terminals.  Give me a call if I can help you.  I believe my email and phone number are in my sig line.  

Brett

PS my phone number is 800-234-2981.

Thanks Brett, but actually ordered one this morning. Appreciate the help from everyone.

Nick
2001 22' SeaSport Sportsman

polarbill1999

Quote from: woody on March 28, 2011, 10:52:59 AM
Brett

Please keep us informed on this subject.  I have an 88 with the original wipper and motor, pretty bad.  Are you talking about replacing the motor? New holes, what?

Cost would be nice too. Partial set up? Full set up?

Woody

It should be a mount in place motor.  I have pantograph and straight arms but not the ones that look like the arima ones.  The motor should be in the $80-90 range depending on what length shaft it has. 
Brett
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

polarbill1999

I just took a look at the motors.  The back plate comes off with 3 screws and then the gear has labaled holes for the different sweeps and you just move the crank arm. 

The motors I have look nearly identical to the new style shown on Arimas website.  I am not sure what the old style look like I guess though. 

Here is a link to the motors we carry.

http://www.clevelandignition.com/spec_sheet.pdf
Brett
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

woody

Brett

Take a look at what's on your boat.  If you have an old wiper and can upgrade, bet you are going to get a lot of us wanting one. The price is right.  You simply have to turn your wiper (driver's side only) on, if it sweeps once every 10 minutes its one of the old ones. (At least it seems that long). 

Woody

polarbill1999

Ours works fine, sweeps about once every couple of seconds.  I will take a look at the one in our boat and see what it looks like but I am guessing it is a newer one.  If anybody can get me a pic of the old style I can see how it looks.  The other thing even if it isn't the same is that we could possibly design a setup with arm and blade to work.  We have a guy here that is pretty good at designing a system if he has the window dimensions and where the wiper shaft comes through.  Maybe if there is anybody in the Seattle area that would be interested they could come in?
Brett
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

woody

Brett

I'm going to check with Russ.  He just replaced his old one, I'll see if I can get my hands on it and get details, if not the whole thing to you.  I'm sure it's in his trash barrel, he just emptied it 6 years ago so its not due to be emptied for awhile. There is still a tinsy bit of space left on the top.

Woody

polarbill1999

sounds good.  Let me know if you can find it. 
Brett
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

StreamFixer

Actually Woody, I dumped the shop garbage can last week.  However, I had not put the motor, arm and wiper part in it yet (no room)

The Motor has "AFi" with what looks like waves under the letters stamped on the end of the motor opposite from the mounting screws.

The other end (shaft end) is stamped

"35040
80 12V
CHINA 809"

Let me know if you need parts (like the knurled piece that goes on the end of the shaft or blade arm).

With my experience with this wiper motor and system, and now the pantograph system, I would never recommend the old style system.  Like so many things you get what you pay for.  The pantograph system, while expensive compared to the old system, is well worth the money.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

polarbill1999

StreamFixer, anyway you can get pictures of the setup or ship them to me?  If you don't want to pay the shipping I can get you my UPS account number to send it on.

Brett

By the way, what did you replace your old one with?  The new style setup?
Brett
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

polarbill1999

Well, I googled that number and this pops up.  Is this what the old style is like?  As long as the shaft is the same and we switch the new style motor to a 80 degree sweep I am thinking it will work in place.  The only thing you would really have to do is make sure you have the clearance for the larger motor and add a moutning screw on the end of the motor opposite of the shaft end. 
Brett
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

StreamFixer

Quote from: polarbill1999 on March 29, 2011, 09:43:50 AM
By the way, what did you replace your old one with?  The new style setup?

I replaced the motor described with an Arima Pantograph system.  I really cannot describe it, two arms, join at the blade.  Kimbrey's boat likely has one or you can go to an Arima Dealer (or visit Don) to check out the system.  I bought the whole Mary Ann from Don.  Easy to install and works great.

As I noted in an earlier post, I replaced the old motor soon after I got the boat in September of '09.  That motor lasted about 9 months then died.  I just replaced it last month.  I do not see a picture in your post so I have no idea if it looks the same.  Basically a motor body with shaft protruding from one end.

The old motor is a simple straight shaft, no gear box.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

polarbill1999

Brett
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

StreamFixer

That is the same as I took out  aka 'old style' 

Nick, be sure to read the rating comments.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Techdiver1

Hi Guys...I put in a pantographic wiper on my 1990 Seahunter. Go to my photos and you can see how I did it. The link to my photos is here http://arimaboatownersgroup.com/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=93;u=68 and you will find two photos in about the middle of the presentation of the old wiper and then the new wiper. I used an AFI#36180 motor. 1 1/2" shaft 80 degree sweep. Its adjustable from 50, 65, 80, and 110 degrees but factory set to 80. Its a really beefy nice motor. I used the AFI Deluxe Pantographic Articulating Arm #AFI 33032 adjusts from 12 to 17" with the AFI 31012B 12" blade. These are all available online from Fisheries Supply in Seattle. Now, understand if you change from the origional off to the side style to pantographic, that the mounting hole for the wiper shaft and the smaller side hole for the new motor will be in different places. I glassed a small patch on the inside of the cuddy to back the old motor hole. Let that set up and then used resin with colloidal silica filler mixed to peanut butter thickness to fill both old holes. Make it a bit higher then the surface. Let that cure for 24 hours. Sand it to surface level with a sanding block. Then I sanded and masked off the whole wiper panal. Gave it an acetone wash and reshot the gelcoat. After 36 hours curing, I sanded dry with 360 then 400, 600, and 1000 wet. Then power buff with Aqua Buff 1000 and 2000. Then McGuires pure yellow boat wax. I then drilled the new holes. The shaft hole on a pantograph arm needs to be in the center of the window. I can measure off mine if you need and get back to you if you like. I made a mockup of the window from plywood to figure out the best spot. The wiper works awesome. Look at the photos and let me know if I can help you further. Here are the fisheries order numbers and information. http://www.fisheriessupply.com  AFI 100 series Heavy Duty Wiper Motor #21035 AFI Deluxe Pantographic Arm #71335  AFI Polymer Wiper Blade #76153 Craig aka Techdiver1
Craig Miller
Tacoma, Washington
Puget Sound 1990 Seahunter

croaker stroker

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Techdiver1

Look at my old wiper in this photo http://arimaboatownersgroup.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=824 Now look at my new wiper in this photo http://arimaboatownersgroup.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=825 This is the only way to fly fellas! Note by looking carefully at the two different mounting locations. Oh and that sweet Gelcoat repair :arms:

:party: Thanks Croaker!
Craig Miller
Tacoma, Washington

polarbill1999

Well I looked at our boats wiper setup and it actually does have the old style.  Maybe next offseason I will replace the wiper setups with WWF motors and pantograph arms.
Brett
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

Techdiver1

Not sure what a WWF motor is. I believe you would really appreciate the AFI motor. These are not cheep weak motors but they cost a bit more. I used an AFI#36180 motor. 1 1/2" shaft 80 degree sweep. Its adjustable from 50, 65, 80, and 110 degrees but factory set to 80. Its a really beefy nice motor. I used the AFI Deluxe Pantographic Articulating Arm #AFI 33032 adjusts from 12 to 17" with the AFI 31012B 12" blade. These are all available online from Fisheries Supply in Seattle.
Craig Miller
Tacoma, Washington

polarbill1999

The WWF motor is similar to the AFI that you are talking about.  I sell the WWF so there would be aboslutely no reason for me to try the AFI.  I have a wholesale account with Fisheries as well.  I am most interested in trying to find a great option that I have on the shelf that way I can help out other Arima owners with a good quality wiper motor, arm and blade.  I will find out if it should work but I should be around $125 for the whole setup probably. 

What did you pay for the motor, arm and blade at Fisheries?
Brett
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke