News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Has anyone replaced their plastic cleats with SS?

Started by Markshoreline, March 17, 2013, 12:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Markshoreline

There are times when I want to run the eye of my mooring line through the middle of the cleat then loop the eye around the cleat horns. 
However, it's snug to poke it through there, but short of using 1/4 inch line, it seems that replacing the cleat with stainless would provide a larger center opening.
Has anyone ever swapped them out?  By some miracle do the screw holes line up?  If not, I'd just have to fill then drill.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

StreamFixer

I do not recall seeing plastic cleats.   :shrug9:  Can't help you much

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Seattleflyfisher

yep, I changed mine out.

My boat is a 87 vintage.

Danno

Quote from: StreamFixer on March 17, 2013, 01:04:21 PM
I do not recall seeing plastic cleats.   :shrug9:  Can't help you much

StreamFixer

All of the early Arimas had plastic (glass fiber filled nylon) cleats. I don't know what year they switched over. Belinda?

Maybe some of the members with older Arimas can post whether they had them on their boats and we can narrow down the range that they change was made
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

Ulua

85 plastic, changed out the back two on mine, kept getting hung up in the elevator.
85  17 Sea Ranger
2009 Honda 90
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

woody

StreamFixer

Quote from: woody on March 17, 2013, 04:09:45 PM
'88 Got em

Woody

Got em what, Plastic or metal?  and the correct answer is not YES Woody..... :hoboy:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Markshoreline

Russ,

Got 'em means we have black glass filled nylon (plastic) cleats! 

My boat is a 91, sounds like it's the newest of the old, at least so far.

SFF, did the holes match?

StreamFixer

I am pretty sure my '94SC had metal cleats, but Caston would have to confirm as he has it now.

That should help narrow a bit more...

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Tom Mac

Mine is the same as markshoreline, But I have no problem using 3/8 double braid for mooring lines. The 6 in eyes that I spliced in the ends fits though the holes easily.

Ian
1991 Sea Ranger 17, 2014 F90 Yamaha, 2008 T8 Yamaha

Chuck Jones

I have (for another five days) a 91 SR HT and it has the stainless steel cleats.  I also run the line thru the middle and around the horns...plenty of room there....although I tried to run another line thru the one at the stern to hold a dock bumper, and there wasn't much room there to run another line thru.  If I used a quarter inch line I could get it thru.
(91) 19' Sea Ranger HT....SOLD 5/2013
(07) 21' Sea Ranger HT.....SOLD 3/2014
(05) 21' Design Concepts ...4/20/14

I often have silent thoughts in my head, but sometimes I worry about what they're thinking

fisherkev

My 89' SR had the nylon cleats. I just replaced them with SS cleats.  The SS cleats that I bought were an exact match for the nylon ones.

http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix;jsessionid=9E34451CE7AA1359B6BEEDD2D70305F0#ip/Seasense-Soft-Point-Cleat/16651520
1989 19' Sea Ranger

fishorcrab

fisherkev,

Thank you for that link.  In an earlier discussion on stainless steel cleats, Belinda posted that the SS cleats being used by Arima did not fit the same holes.   My 92 SC16 has the plastic cleats and I had avoided making a change due to having to fill and redrill all those holes. Some people must have a cheap source of drill bits or theirs are higher quality than mine.

I guess I need to order some SS cleats now.

Paul
SC16 Yamaha 4s 90
SP17 Honda 4s 90  - Croaker made me do it. :)

fisherkev

Paul,

These cleats from Walmart online seemed to be a real snug fit (maybe that is what Belinda was refering to).  If one wanted to oval one of the bolt holes by 1/16", they would fit perfect.  I ended up using masking tape to cleanly tape off the cleat feet, gooped up the bolt and the bottom of the feet with marine grade silicone installed them, cleaned the excess silicone off (that squeezed out from tighting) and called it a day.  If you desire to oval a hole, the cleat base will/should entirely cover the hole as they are so close in size...i would think a 1/4" drill would do the job.  I hope this helps...for the price, you just cant beat it!
1989 19' Sea Ranger

Markshoreline

Great find, except I just tried to order 5 cleats and they only have 3 in stock right now!

StreamFixer

Mark

Try here.  I have found they have good prices and F-A-S-T delivery and good quality

http://www.marinepartdepot.com/?gclid=CL-r4__KhrYCFQlyQgod-0gA9g

Russ
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Markshoreline

Thanks, Russ!  You posted that before I could even look up another source!

Yachter Yat

In 1994, when I ordered my new 16 SC from the factory, Arima was still installing those plastic cleats. I recall making the comment that Arimas looked like a Mercedes with Yugo door handles. :jester: Needless to say, I didn't want those, so I asked Donny if he would install stainless. He was very accommodating and said to send them along.  I did so and also sent two beautiful Lee's of Miami cast stainless rod holders which he installed  in place of the factory holders.  Per my request, I also had him provide the stainless bow roller like the one on the 17's. Oh yeah, one more thing, I also had him paint the whole boat white as opposed to that two-tone color they featured at the time.  I'll never forget, and always appreciate, how willing he was to work for me on this boat. I seem to recall that shortly after that Arimas started coming-through with stainless cleats followed shortly by being painted all white. To this day people still look at my boat and think it's new or almost new.  A timeless little beauty. Thanks again to Donny Gross and the crew at Arima. 

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

GoodDays

Mark.... I am sure you already thought of this.... Don't try and cram the eye through ... Feed the tail end through and then you can really reef on it to get the eye through :-)
GoodDays Greg

Markshoreline

Greg,
You're right that works.  I'm wanting to leave the bitter end tied to the mooring dock and just slip the loop through my cleats for a quick and easy docking.

SekiuSaba

Plastic on my 93 17' SC.  I use 3/8 inch mooring lines (4300 lb strength) and leave it on the dock all summer.  Plenty of room to pull the loop through the cleat for easy and quick docking.  I use an electrical tie in the loop that I pull through the hole for quick and easy access.  No threading the loop, it rope just follows the electrical tie. 
17' SC Skip Tower - 90 & 8 Honda

StreamFixer

Electrical tie??   Are you referring to a zip tie??

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

SekiuSaba

17' SC Skip Tower - 90 & 8 Honda

Threeweight

I don't have much problem with threading 3/8" dock lines through my plastic cleats.  Only time there is an issue is when I have my fenders in the way.

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

fisherkev

Next to each cleat there is a chromed clip with a plastic spring retainer...what the heck are these for?!  Fenders?  Delta Canvas?  I've never figured it out and thought I would ask...
1989 19' Sea Ranger