News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

used Yamaha 115 FI vs the F 100 I already have

Started by strokersquid, February 23, 2013, 06:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rusty scuppers

There should be screws near the bottom of the float bowls, open them an the gas will pour out of the bottom. Some have clear plastic lines on the bottom so you can see as well as keep the mess at a minimum.

strokersquid

well i am in now for carb repair kits and it most likely is clogged jets. although i would agree that FI is preferable to carbs, i doubt that a 4st carb'd Yamaha is equal to an old 2st in resale. Anyways i am not looking to sell at this point unless a 19 came up that i could not resist. so the carbs have drain screws on them like motorcycle and jetski carbs. i can just drain them out by taking off the cowl and finding the carbs ? is it better to just let the engine run out the fuel by pulling the fuel line off when i bring it in and its still in the drink ?

strokersquid

Quote from: redbaronace on February 25, 2013, 12:33:17 AM
Quote from: rusty scuppers on February 24, 2013, 06:57:57 PM
Why would you have to use a Jack plate? Doesn't the extra long length allow for adjustments? In my conversations with Don, be it 40hp or higher, the bolt patterns are the same. It seems that it is the only standard the outboard industry maintains. I had a 17 sc with a 115 merc and it seemed to have more horses that it needed which translated in to wasted fuel for me. As far as clogging carbs, I only had that problem once, after that I made it a habit to drain the carbs if I didn't run it for any length of time from outboards to generators.

Well, the required engines for Arima's from what I understand are the longshaft lengths.  The exception is that kickers are often XL shaft depending on the bracket chosen.

If memory serves me correctly, without a jackplate, the engine would have sat too low in the water due to its length.  The ideal height of the engine places the cavitation plate about parallel to the underside of the boat.  While I do not have a photo of this, the jackplate needed to be almost completely raised in order to achieve this desired height.  The beauty of a jackplate is that you can adjust it to the exact height.  The downside is of course the weight compounded by the fact that the engine is being placed 5 inches further back.

Now to the issue of fuel, the 115 FI might be more efficient than a 100 hp non fuel injected model so it could in theory deliver better results.  It is also a more valuable engine in the eyes of most.  As to whether it is a better fit for his 17' is debatable and I would think it is a bit overkill but that might depend on how heavily weighted a person normally runs.

In the end, its a personal preference.  My 2cents is that it is a fine engine and a very good price to boot.  Either way, let us know how it turns out.  Or tell me where the engine and I might buy it for my next project.
if you don't mind it being in Alameda CA i can give you his # he has a pair with 600 hours on them one of course is a counter rotating engine

La-Z-Buoy

Stroker,

The way my Honda mech explained it, drain the carbs by pulling the fuel line after each outing. For long term storage, use the carb drain screws. And, yes, you can pull the line at the dock and drain at that time, if, you are in fresh water. If in salt you still need to flush with fresh. My Honda guy said to attach the ears, turn on the water, turn on the motor, pull the fuel line. That should be enough time to flush the motor while draining the carbs.

Richard
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

strokersquid

that's what i thought. thanks for confirming it. guess i should have been doing that all along.

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

Stroker.....Yep...agree you will need a jack plate to elevate the engine so that cav plate on engine is correctly installed within 1/2" to 1-1/2" even with keel. As I remember your maiden voyage was from Marinez down to GG Bridge & back and you were very close to being out of fuel. With those lengthy runs and your small tank,  a 4 stroke will give you the range that you want. I'd go for a tune-up and wait for the right long shaft 4 stroke to show-up....one will suface for sure in your price range. Good luck...J.W.
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

strokersquid

Already got a 100HP Yamaha  f100 and boy is it more efficient than the old kieth. When I brought it to the mechanic for service he asked if I was interested in upgrading to a uesd 115 Yamaha  FI. If I still had the old Merc 100 2 st I would have jumped at this. But it seems the benefit of FI and 115  HP  are outweighed by the extra weight and cost .