Author Topic: Fuel line meter vs. engine sensor  (Read 2113 times)

Offline Threeweight

Fuel line meter vs. engine sensor
« on: March 16, 2011, 10:20:55 PM »
My Lowrance HDS can display all sorts of engine data, but the thing I am most interested in is knowing my rate of fuel burn.  I noticed Cabelas has Lowrance-brand fuel flow sensors on sale... you splice these into the fuel line after your filter, and wire them into a NMEA 2000 network.

However, my Suzuki has the latest and greatest computerized "brain" and is supposed to be network ready, if one buys the cables to hook it up.  In theory, it should display fuel burn rate (and engine temp, oil pressure, etc...) on my HDS if I did that.

Anyone have experience with either the fuel line sensor, or the electronic "brain" approach?  I'm mostly interested in how accurate the fuel line sensors are.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline woody

Re: Fuel line meter vs. engine sensor
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 03:22:54 AM »
Steve, check with Tony Fox aka Channel Cat.  He's good on cables and tying in info centers.  He has a lot of equipment and supplies last time I was at his house.  He lurks here, but works evenings so a slow response might be expected.

Woody

Offline Channel Cat

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 03:40:26 AM »
Woody, You really are killing me. Its a sickness I say! Yes Steve, http://store.brownspoint.com/suzuki_page_31.asp
Lowrance has made them Proprietary for Suzuki now, and can only be obtained through a dealer.(Very Convenient)
I have that stuff hooked into my E-TEC, and it really is the Cleanest, simplest way to go. It also provides the most into.
The Suzuki Engine interface can provide the following information over the

NMEA 2000 network:

• Engine RPM

• Alternator Voltage

• Engine Hours

• Fuel Flow

• Engine Trim

• Fuel Used

• Trip Fuel Used

• Seasonal Fuel Used

• Speed over water (DF300 Only)

• Water Pressure (DF300 Only)

• Current Gear (DF300 Only)

• Standard Diagnostics

o Overheat

o Low Oil Pressure

o Over Rev

o Low Battery Voltage

Cool Stuff indeed, and I would be willing to assist if needed.   Cheers Tony
Team Arima
"07" 19'SR, 115 HP E-TEC, 9.9 Johnson 4 stk.

Offline BigMac

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 09:02:10 AM »
Threeweight,

I installed the cable interface purchased from a Suzuki dealer that goes from the motor into the NMEA 2000 set up.  If you are starting from scratch, i.e. no NMEA 200 cable system, I believe it costs about the same or not very much more than buying the set up that ties into the fuel line. If you already have the NMEA 2000 "backbone" installed it should be less expensive as you have to buy the whole fuel flow set up which includes some of the cables you aready have. As Channel Cat says you get so much more info hooking it into the motor that IMO it's a no brainer.  I originally was thinking about just the fuel line install too, but a Garmin salesman at the Seattle Boat Show explained the benefits of the motor hook up.  I checked it out and came to the same conclusion. 

The good thing you have going for you that I didn't---Lowrance technology is incorporated into the Suzuki so it is compatible with your equipment, and should work by just plugging it in.  If you had, like me, a Garmin chartplotter (and maybe other brands) it's not that simple, but doable.  Jim at Portland Marine Electronics has figured out how to reconfigure the Suzuki interface so it will transmit data that the Garmin can read.

You might check with Ryan at Sportcraft as he was very helpful in getting my system up and running.  (His company is also the new Arima dealer in Portland.)

It is a do it yourself project which keeps the costs to just the materials you need.  I'll be glad to help if you have questions or problems.

Dave

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 09:41:41 AM »
This may be a question for the dealer, but does anyone know if there are issues w/ running standard analog gauges alongside a NMEA network like this? 

I have the Suzuki analog multi-function gauge (tach, basic hour meter, warning lights/bells in one unit).  I don't want to replace it, I just want to display the detailed info on my HDS.  Got my hopes up I could do this semi-cheap ( :hoboy: ) because of Cabela's selling the inline sensors for a song.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Channel Cat

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 11:40:11 AM »
3WT.
Either way you go, your Analog signals will not be disabled. You may use them side by side. I have all the extra connecters "T"s, and backbone, PWR for your NMEA Network, I would love to assist you with. Very simple! Think of it this way, This opens the door for you to start spending more money on "Cool Toys!" Like oneday replacing your analog gauges with LMF-400, and LMF-200 gauges, and all kinds of other NMEA sensors etc... (LOL)!
This is simply how it hooks up, Your Newer ZUKI has the easy "Red" EMM interface in it, so no adapters are required for yours.
http://primus.lowrance.com/support/resultDisplay.do?gotoLink=7&docType=1000&contextId=611%3A7.50%2C53.73&clusterName=ClusterPublic&lang=english&docset=%2FDocuments%2FPrimus&contentId=95dfe334-11db-4e77-9f67-3d9d45ee3249&responseId=135ccbe2cfd4f608%3Adcb03b%3A12ec451709a%3A3c03&groupId=4&answerGroup=5&score=788&page=http%3A%2F%2Fprimus.lowrance.com%2Ficr%2FNMEA+2000%2FSuzuki_engine_connectors.htm&result=11&excerpt=Location+of+Suzuki+Engine+Wiring+Connectors&question=suzuki&resultType=5000#Goto7
Team Arima
"07" 19'SR, 115 HP E-TEC, 9.9 Johnson 4 stk.

Offline woody

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 02:28:03 PM »
Like I told the guys.  We just had to poke Tony with a couple of sticks and wake him up.  He's a bunch of infomation when he's got his eyes open.

Woody

Offline BigMac

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 05:13:15 PM »
Woody,

Yeah--wish I had known about his expertise and supplies when got into with the NMEA 2000/Suzuki drama last year.

Dave

Offline SRanger

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 07:21:07 PM »

Would love to capture the volts, water pressure and Tach from the old 2stroke and display them on a digital readout.  Maybe add oil pump (injected motor) and fuel flow if possible, hour meter.  An alarm function is cool.   A couple less cables under the dash fewer gauges sounds good.  No idea where to start other than something like Garmin GMI 10 3.5" NMEA 2000 Compatible Marine Instrument 010-006.  I just need electronic sensors to replace the analog sending units?  Already have Garmin NMEA2000 compatible gps.

Sorry if I am hijacking here...always more questions than answers from a rookie:(
99 19' Arima Sea Ranger HT,  Honda BF130/BF8.
88 17' Arima Sea Ranger ST,  Yamaha F80/Merc 8 (sold)