News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

What's happening with the ABOG connectivity?

Started by Chuck Jones, February 12, 2013, 05:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Jones

For the last 4 or so hours, I've been unable to move between forum functions without a wait of at least two minutes....I have AOL...is the problem with the AOL, or is there some sort of time lag with the ISP for the forum?  The screens populate extremely slowly and in increments.

Cj
(91) 19' Sea Ranger HT....SOLD 5/2013
(07) 21' Sea Ranger HT.....SOLD 3/2014
(05) 21' Design Concepts ...4/20/14

I often have silent thoughts in my head, but sometimes I worry about what they're thinking

GregE

Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

croaker stroker

There have been times when I have had to clear the Internet cache, delete all the cookies and re-boot my computer to get rid of problems like that.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

StreamFixer

:yeahthat:

That type of stuff happens to me to when I leave 'puter on for days at a time...

Simple fix, turn off when I go to bed then good for the next several days.

Have you tried that Chuck?

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

SRanger

Chuck,  The internet is just retaliating because you won't put an end to the "Name my Boat" thread. 

C'mon man...just doooo it!

SR
99 19' Arima Sea Ranger HT,  Honda BF130/BF8.
88 17' Arima Sea Ranger ST,  Yamaha F80/Merc 8 (sold)

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

Its not in the kompooter.....Not in your browser.....I think it is in the website or server. It's taken me 10 minutes to bring up the webpage (webpage has no pictures except the banner) could it be that the resolution on the banner is too great? I had this prob;em before Christnas too.  ?????????????? J Doo
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

If it will .....it will. If it won't....it won't....and it aint! It's taking me hours to go thru viewing posts...slower than cold molassis, so I am not going to bother to try anymore.
I unplugged..re-booted...disconnected...defragged...still no progress..Chuck's got AOL and I have Frontier for service here. I'll check with him to see if he has made any progress.
Meanwhile, all of my connects to other websites work just fine. It's only the ABOG site that is giving me heartaches.

Anyone have any ideas?   JW

croaker stroker

Can you access the site with another computer, or phone, or IPad. ??

Log off. Clear your Internet Cache.  Clear your Cookie file. Log back on.

Another idea....   Turn off your modem and router. Then turn back on.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Chuck Jones

I finally got pissed while waiting for the forum site to come up...so I closed it out and fired up the Internet Explorer browser...and got straight in, no wait, no muss, no fuss.  For some reason, the ABOG site may not like certain ISPs or ????   :shrug9:

I used to have the forum site in my "Favorites" file.  I never had any problem and would be directed to the forum instantly....for some reason in the past week I started having problems and I guess I'm not alone.  Danno advised that it had to be AOL or something other than the ABOG server.  I don't know how to correct it other than to use another browser.

I often have silent thoughts in my head, but sometimes I worry about what they're thinking

fishorcrab

If the same computer with a different browser works better, it is not your ISP as both browsers use the same ISP unless you have multiple Internet connections on the same machine.   

Software sometimes suffers from something called memory leaks.  This is where memory is set aside for the application at its request. The software is expected to release the memory back to the operating system.  Programmers, especially new ones, can lose track of bits of the memory that they requested and it doesn't get released.  This reduces the amount of memory available until either the program exits if the operating system does a good job of cleaning up or until the computer reboots where everything starts over.  Things may slow if there is not enough memory.

If your browser has a lot of tabs/windows open that are reopened when you start it again, the problem could repeat.  A different browser may not have the same problem or closing the tabs might get rid of the problem.

You are doing the right thing in rebooting and trying a different browser.    You might download and try Chrome, Firefox, or Opera if yours continues to cause indigestion.

Paul

SC16 Yamaha 4s 90
SP17 Honda 4s 90  - Croaker made me do it. :)

Chuck Jones

"This is where memory is set aside for the application at its request...."

Paul:  Your description of memory leaks is exactly what is happening to me.  Only in my case it results in lost car keys, glasses, walking into a room and forgetting why you're there, inability to recall a word in the middle of a conversation etc.    :doh:   I feel  much better now that you've explained the syndrome.

Actually, for whatever reason, I just tried the old link thru AOL and it now works....must be the FM....F'reakn Magic?? 

GoodDays

Mine was haywire yesterday too !!!  so it is a multinational problem   :shrug9:

Greg

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Wyrguy

Quote from: Chuck Jones on February 14, 2013, 03:55:58 PM
"This is where memory is set aside for the application at its request...."

Paul:  Your description of memory leaks is exactly what is happening to me.  Only in my case it results in lost car keys, glasses, walking into a room and forgetting why you're there, inability to recall a word in the middle of a conversation etc.    :doh:   I feel  much better now that you've explained the syndrome.

Actually, for whatever reason, I just tried the old link thru AOL and it now works....must be the FM....F'reakn Magic??

Chuck, I've been looking all over for this link and I finally remembered where I'd saved it...  :facepalm:

http://www.brainpages.org/why-you-forget-what-you-were-doing-when-you-walk-into-a-room/

the rest of the computer stuff is all technogeekbabble for me...  :shrug9:

Rick
'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250XCA O/S T9.9 Yamahas Yamaha Command Link Plus  iTroll throttle control
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Two Scotty HP 2106 DRs

Chuck Jones

Thank you Rick for that illuminating article on brain farts.  I now walk from one room to another mumbling while carrying red cubes and purple discs.  My wife called 911 tonite and tried to have me committed.

Ubbity-ubbity-ubbity....That's all folks.

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

fishorcrab

Doorways must be to the brain what those old Radio Shack VHS tape erasers were to video tapes. Maybe it is the door shape? Does the same thing happen in a submarine with those oval doors?

Rick,  do you electrical guys run a turn or two of wire around the door jambs in new buildings?

I don't remember forgetting why I stuck my head into the cuddy.  I can't find what I was looking for but that's a separate problem.  :hoboy:

Paul
SC16 Yamaha 4s 90
SP17 Honda 4s 90  - Croaker made me do it. :)

Wyrguy

Quote from: fishorcrab on February 14, 2013, 10:58:17 PM
Doorways must be to the brain what those old Radio Shack VHS tape erasers were to video tapes. Maybe it is the door shape? Does the same thing happen in a submarine with those oval doors?

Rick,  do you electrical guys run a turn or two of wire around the door jambs in new buildings?

I don't remember forgetting why I stuck my head into the cuddy.  I can't find what I was looking for but that's a separate problem.  :hoboy:
Paul

Paul, that's a GREAT question...  :yeahthat:  :applause:
...of course, I can neither admit nor deny the location or the actual installation of any loops of wiring that may or may not be placed within any buildings.  :hoboy:

I have (as ALL electricians have) sworn a secret oath taken in honour of Nikola Tesla for the creation and advancement of the use of Alternating Current and for the right to forever ban any thoughts of using Thomas Edisons evil Direct Current (except on boats and cars)

For the 'theory' of what a wiring loop within a door frame (or installed within the walls and ceilings of ALL Government buildings and offices) will do, I will direct you to this fine article explaining, in a nontechnical way, the inner workings of electricity and the electron flow theory... or more commonly called Electronegativity:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronegativity

Once you have finished the article this video will then be easier to understand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pruCd9qcKSQ

For your question concerning the doorways in submarines, I can't speak for the US version (COB can maybe help here?) but our engineers working on the refit of the British built Canadian submarines have decided to use the functionability of the Rockwell Retro Encabulator to great success:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=NpnEiOOfu1Q&NR=1

For the benefit of Chuck, this one might also help clarify (like a fine ghee) the operation of brain cells as a "serious" discussion on the organization of the brain and its functions to human health:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQjgsQ5G8ug

I think all this should clear up any future misunderstandings...  :twocents:   :shrug9:  :1zhelp:

Rick
'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250XCA O/S T9.9 Yamahas Yamaha Command Link Plus  iTroll throttle control
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Two Scotty HP 2106 DRs

StreamFixer

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on February 14, 2013, 05:04:56 PM

What were we talking about ?

I think the kind term is either CRS or rampant senility,  I can never remember which   :wink:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Chuck Jones

Rick:  That last link clarified everything.  Thanks for the non-technical explanation.

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

OK...so after a frickin week of slow access, I saw on start-up a pending update balloon so I clicked on it...it took about an hour to automatic install/configure/finish then re-boot. I was able to get on ABOG in a reasonable amount of time and while still a little slow opening up the subjects, it is a great speed improvement over the time obstacle of this last week.  Rule number one...don't forget to promptly install those updates.... J Doo Doo

SRanger

Quote from: LvrWurst 21 SR Skip on February 15, 2013, 10:57:36 AM
saw on start-up a pending update balloon so I clicked on it...it took about an hour to automatic install/configure/finish then re-boot. 

Now you have done it.  You will forever be held hostage by the notifications saying "Pick me Pick me".  And then you get all their trashy friends come along like Malware and Bloatware.  And they will bring infections and security leaks.  The neighbor hood will never be the same:(

SR
99 19' Arima Sea Ranger HT,  Honda BF130/BF8.
88 17' Arima Sea Ranger ST,  Yamaha F80/Merc 8 (sold)

Chuck Jones

LoverWorst: I don't know what version of AOL you are running, but I just upgraded to 9.7 and AOL has introduced some new functionality that includes security and faster functionality.  You might try installing the new version.  I did and it eliminated all the problems I was having with the slow response times.  The other option is one that many have suggested to me...DUMP AOL!!  I can't kuz the wifey has her show dog website thru them....and she pays for the service.

StreamFixer

CJ

Is there where I get to make a reference to 'living a dog's life'???  :facepalm:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade