News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Necker knob

Started by StreamFixer, January 31, 2013, 08:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StreamFixer

Woody spotted a nice necker knob at Wilco (a farm supply store) for around $14.

Rubber...  Looks pretty stout.  Something you would expect to find on a tractor.  Nothing to rust and not gaudy plastic.  Might be what some of you guys are looking.

I'll get a picture next time I am in there.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Chuck Jones

The critical part of the knob is not so much the appearance of the knob, but the device that attaches it to the steering wheel.   For marine applications, it needs to be stainless, and cinch down far enough to accommodate the thinner diameter of the boat stainless steering wheels.  Most of the ones I've seen dont cinch down tight enough to stay stable when you crank the wheel right/left/right at a fairly brisk pace.  The shackle seems to come loose with the less expensive necker knobs....but IF you happen to find one that meets the criteria, then by all means let us know.  The one that Wyrguy and I bought is EXPENSIVE to say the least, but it works, and works well...that's the bottom line.
(91) 19' Sea Ranger HT....SOLD 5/2013
(07) 21' Sea Ranger HT.....SOLD 3/2014
(05) 21' Design Concepts ...4/20/14

I often have silent thoughts in my head, but sometimes I worry about what they're thinking

GregE

Watching for pictures and location.  Hoping to find good source for a couple of them.
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

croaker stroker

Wikipedia ---

"necker knobs, because they allow steering with one hand while necking with the passenger."
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Wyrguy

All of the ones that I was able to find (other than the Edson) were mounted with an external clamp system that left a HUGE edge to get caught on your jacket while turning in tight quarters... and for those of us that are a bit closer to the wheel, it could be 'something else' that gets caught or worse!  :bigshock:

Turning a tractor while plowing the 'back 40' is waaaaaay different than turning your outboard while docking with a tide rip and a cross wind...  also a rubber knob isn't something I'd want. The knob should be able to slide around in your hand while you're turning the wheel unless your shoulder is double jointed? Don't 'guess' that a tractor knob will work because it looks 'stout'. Find someone that has a boat with a boating one and use it, you'll be able to tell the difference right away :twocents:

I know which one I'd always want... and not the one from my tractor!

Rick
'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250XCA O/S T9.9 Yamahas Yamaha Command Link Plus  iTroll throttle control
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Two Scotty HP 2106 DRs

fishorcrab

Click http://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-Deluxe-Steering-Wheel-Spinner-Knob-2000-Logo-TY26583.html and you will find the one I have been using for about 18 months. Never caught my sleeve.  Did require some serious tightening to compress the rubber on the wheel sufficiently to not slip.  As I recall, I spent about $13 at the local John Deere dealer in Hillsboro.

Works great especially when standing in the center of the boat or when docking.

Paul
SC16 Yamaha 4s 90
SP17 Honda 4s 90  - Croaker made me do it. :)

woody

Paul

That about looks like the one I saw at Wilco and a dollar cheaper.  Fact that you have been using and recommend it is a plus.  I know you work a boat fairly hard and other then initial installation you seem pleased.

I will try because $13 vs. $100+- is meaningful. Of course I cede to all members who have the shinny, expensive knobs that theirs is prettier, nicer and works tons (tonne or kilo's) better.

Note that nothing sticks out to catch your clothes or other "things" and like expensive knobs seems to rotate in your hand quite easily. As I said, for $14 I will give it a try. Since it already has Paul's recommendation my opinion shouldn't matter much.

Woody

Hydro-Therapy

Woody this may be something to look for at the Sportsman show . I will shop Coastal , Wilco and Pape' (Fisher  new owenr) the first of the week to see what each has to offer.They are all just a mile down the road from me.

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

StreamFixer

The posted link looks identical to the one Woody found, just does not have the spiffy John Deere logo in the top.

So there is the source and photo link.

Go check out your local farm implement supply to find one locally.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

hawkeye

I bought my Edson powerknob on eBay for too much, but I really wanted it. I felt kinda bad about it until I mounted it and used it. Now every time I use it I never think aboutcost, but how well it works and what a pleasure it is. It's been one of those things that was a pain to buy, but now makes me feel good every time I use. Splurge if you can. It's what life... and our Arima's are about.
'97 SC16, Honda 45

BigMac

Guys,

You don't need to leave all that money to your children.

Listen to hawkeye.  Don't mess around.  Buy an Edson knob!! 

While I'm a big fan of the company and their equipment, I just can't wrap my mind around an Arima sporting a spinner knob with a John Deere logo.

(Dave)

fishorcrab

Why not? Some here are even experimenting with running tractor seats.   :whistle:

Paul
SC16 Yamaha 4s 90
SP17 Honda 4s 90  - Croaker made me do it. :)

BigMac

Forgot about the tractor seats.

For those Arimas so equipped, the JD spinner knob would be a logical choice.

(Dave)

Hydro-Therapy

I went to our local J D dealer and checked out the spinner knobs. Was Not impressed. The bearings in them were so rough I thought they had to of come off my old boat trailer . While the clamp on system used was screws going into plastic. I could see them striping out real easy . I never have had luck with that. While being cheep I passed on it.

The Local Coastal and Wilco store only had the ones that mounted with bolts and wings that would catch on sleaves and coats real easy.

So I guess I am back to searching for a Edson at the best price.

H-T

GregE

Keep us posted H T, I'm looking for two of them
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Hydro-Therapy

Here is what I have found for Edson power knobs : You can print a copy of these and take them to West Marine and save shipping costs

Stainless model( $67.28)  http://www.tacticalwholesalers.com/Edson-PowerKnob-Stainless-ProSeries_p_76638.html

Sportsman model(51.68) (Black composite) http://www.tacticalwholesalers.com/search.asp?keyword=edson+sportsman+power+knob&search.x=14&search.y=12&search=GO

Myself I think the sportsman model would not be as cold to hang onto while running the trolling motor for a long period of time.

H-T

Chuck Jones

I spent some time and (not much) money dinking around with cheaper models but none of them would hold without slipping...or if I really cinched them down the strap or screws would break....so I eventually gave up, sucked it up,  and bought the Edson.  Now that it's there....I'm truly happy with it.  There's no substitute when it comes to docking or doing tight maneuvers.  For those of you who found a less expensive substitute...my hearty congrats.

cj
(91) 19' Sea Ranger HT....SOLD 5/2013
(07) 21' Sea Ranger HT.....SOLD 3/2014
(05) 21' Design Concepts ...4/20/14

I often have silent thoughts in my head, but sometimes I worry about what they're thinking