News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Close to pulling the trigger

Started by birdman, January 25, 2013, 05:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdman

I'm almost there on the re-power.  Last time I wrote was giving the 90 etec a close look because of the warranty extension and the promo deals they currently have going.  Also was looking at Honda and Yamaha; Honda way more expensive than the others.  I also looked at Suzuki per 3weight's advice.  It's looking like it will be a yamaha for a variety of reasons which I'll go into later.  I'll keep you posted on the re-power.  I'm just tying up the loose ends, getting final approval from the better half, and then I think I'll be good to go.  Looking forward to smoke free fishing and not having to wait 15 minutes for ol' keith to warm up and start.

Who out there has a early model 17' sea ranger with a 90hp 4stroke yamaha?  If you do, would you mind telling me what size prop you use?
Terry; 17' Sea Ranger (1985); 90 HP Yamaha (2012)

Yachter Yat

Hi birdman:  You won't be sorry going four stroke.  We used to jokingly say two strokes were good for two things........motocross and chainsaws.  If you know anything about motocross these days you probably now kow it might be down to only chainsaws. 

Respectfully,  Yat

P.S.  Still waiting for Honda to come-out with my new chainsaw  :biggrin:
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Grizzle

You're in good company. I dont know how many outboards yamaha sells compared to other vendors but sometimes I get the feeling like they're locking the whole thing up.  I've been in marinas where its 5:1 yamaha vs everybody else.  Dont know why that is. Outside the US I've seen even higher,  maybe its just where I live and travel.
Brook Stockton - My Boat: Mighty Molly - The Fish Monger - Arima SeaChaser 16 - Soft SkipTower and "The Rack"

SALTBOSS™ MARINE - Offshore Marine Products & Fabrication - http://saltbossmarine.com - brook@saltbossmarine.com - 206-953-SALT (7258)

Vancouvertechie

The main reason for a wider ownership of Yamaha is the parts availability outside of the US.  Trying to obtain parts in other regions is almost impossible for manufacturers like Honda. 

VT
2003 15' SeaHunter 50HP Suzuki (FI4Strk)
1991 16' SeaChaser 50HP Johnson (Keith)
1995 19' SeaRanger 115 Yamaha (FI4Strk)
1992 Zodiac Hurricane Honda 135HP
1987 44' Tollycraft Motoryacht

CanvasGuy

To be fair to us Honda guys....Honda demands the highest resale Price & has the  best reliability ...That's what led me down the H path...
Just sayn... :biggrin:

Lovin My BF90D...
Gary Smart
boatless  now
http://www.smartcustomcanvas.com
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." Arthur C. Clarke

Vancouvertechie

CG,

I am not bashing Honda at all.  It is just hard to find parts for them.  If there is not a dealer around it is almost impossible to get a fuel line connector anywhere.  I have tried, and the manager at West Marine said it is difficult to stock parts.  I have some friends in St. Thomas that run Yamahas due to the parts access. 

Honda makes good motors but trying to find parts is like finding the right Lotto numbers.   :shrug9:

VT
2003 15' SeaHunter 50HP Suzuki (FI4Strk)
1991 16' SeaChaser 50HP Johnson (Keith)
1995 19' SeaRanger 115 Yamaha (FI4Strk)
1992 Zodiac Hurricane Honda 135HP
1987 44' Tollycraft Motoryacht

CanvasGuy

John,

No doubt about parts outside japan or USA... :biggrin:

just wanted to represent :biggrin:...

I must admit that Honda's require more costs in maintenance..unless you can do your own..
I do most of mine...I have a friend Marine Mechanic that does my heavy lifting...Valve Adjusts..Mostly..
Although It's not that hard either.. I am @ 900 hrs on a 2010 bF90D...

Gary.
Gary Smart
boatless  now
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." Arthur C. Clarke

Grizzle

Yo Gary (aka Honda fanboy) - Birdman is buying a Yamaha.

Hmm do you think Yamaha sells A. 500 B. 1000 C. 10000 outboards for every one Honda sells?  :shrug9: I'm going with B. , just wondering because its fun to push your buttons.  I tried to find some sales numbers but couldnt.  Apparently Honda is able sustain their outboard division by saving development cost on motors, they just stick economy car motors in there (like geo metro motors? oh no thats gm).
Brook Stockton - My Boat: Mighty Molly - The Fish Monger - Arima SeaChaser 16 - Soft SkipTower and "The Rack"

SALTBOSS™ MARINE - Offshore Marine Products & Fabrication - http://saltbossmarine.com - brook@saltbossmarine.com - 206-953-SALT (7258)

StreamFixer

VT:  Check with Woody for those Lotto numbers

Birdman:  I think you are really hitting the sweet spot with a 90 on a 17, regardless of the brand.   :applause:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

CanvasGuy

Quote from: Grizzle on January 25, 2013, 08:49:33 AM
Yo Gary (aka Honda fanboy) - Birdman is buying a Yamaha.

Hmm do you think Yamaha sells A. 500 B. 1000 C. 10000 outboards for every one Honda sells?  :shrug9: I'm going with B. , just wondering because its fun to push your buttons.  I tried to find some sales numbers but couldnt.  Apparently Honda is able sustain their outboard division by saving development cost on motors, they just stick economy car motors in there (like geo metro motors? oh no thats gm).

BUTTONS PUSHED:
Brook.. The engine you refer to as underdeveloped is the same V tech engine  that's Proven for years in cars  in my Honda Fit.  :yeahthat:
:jester:
Got Me....:berry:
Gary Smart
boatless  now

Grizzle

Birdman - probably the dealer will give you a reasonable suggestion on an overpriced stock white 3 bladed aluminum prop.  Upgrading your prop at this point through them is not usually a path to success.  I'd be ready when you pick the boat up to go out a couple of times within the next 7-10 days with the boat loaded up and test the prop.  Swap it out with another overpriced stock aluminum prop from them until you get to max RPM (go all the way to max if you can )  with a load (bring friends, fill the tank, strap 400lbs of batteries into the boat, etc).

Then report back here what your performance specs are and we can go from there.  Once we know your WOT rpm with the stock aluminum 3 blade we can go any direction you like.  Personally I think the Solas 4 blade aluminum is a winner for $106 bucks. 

Your numbers at WOT with a stock 3 blade aluminum prop  and a loaded boat will be a better indicator on what prop you want than any other.  Including buying what someone else is using.

Grizzle

Honda Fit huh?  Fascinating sounds like a fun.

BTW - did I ever mention Eric builds race cars with Yamaha engines?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dZmroqr8yI

Yeah just sayin.....LOL

OK I'm stopping now.  Cacao Cacao

Threeweight

You will be happy with the Yamaha.  Honestly, I don't think any of the modern motors are "bad".  Comes down to specs you are looking for (gearing, weight, alternator output, etc...) and local dealer support (the #1 issue IMO).

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

CanvasGuy

Quote from: Grizzle on January 25, 2013, 09:48:18 AM
Honda Fit huh?  Fascinating sounds like a fun.

BTW - did I ever mention Eric builds race cars with Yamaha engines?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dZmroqr8yI

Yeah just sayin.....LOL

No... your keeping secrets again?
WOW!!
now those are Some Kinda GO Carts... :yeahthat:
:smile1:

Steve... Doing most of your Own Servicing is Best, I think, for several reasons.
Yet This Dealer PA Power,  seems to provide Adequate Service and parts..
Bottom Line I have Pulled the Trigger Long ago..
And Now Have To Defend that decision...

Although... Hindsight provides me with this..
E-tec Might be the Best way to go...
Just Sayin... :biggrin:
Gary Smart
boatless  now

Grizzle

Just funnin with Gary - of course they're all great.  Don't know about that other car maker...

Full disclosure I own a Honda outboard, three generators, lawn mower, pressure washer, and an irreverent sense of humor

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Grizzle

..oh and I covet owning an e-tec

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Threeweight

Whenever I think of an Etec I get nostalgic for the smell and sound of my old two stroke dirt bikes. 

Then I go next door and pay the neighbor kid to drag a tin bucket full of roofing nails up and down the street behind his bicycle, while I burn an old tire in the driveway.  I get the same experience, without having to spend the $$ on gallons and gallons of two stroke oil  :party:
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

StreamFixer

3WT

you really should work on your tendency to hold back on your opinions. 

Please, tell us what you really think   :jester: :wink:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Yachter Yat

A Honda needs parts???  Eighteen seasons on my 45 with only a water pump change........................what parts are you guys talking about??  :biggrin: 
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

allpauwork

I just re-powered with a direct injected 90hp Tohatsu two stroke.  It doesn't smoke like my old two strokes from yesteryear.  I must admit, I went the Tohatsu route strictly for the "bang for the buck" thing but pleased so far.

I do have a four stroke Honda on my tin boat.  I actually bought this motor from a Honda lawnmower shop!  The owner of the shop even does warranty work on the outboard motor as well as stock most common parts.

birdman

Thanks for the funny posts!  The guy who has worked on my boats for years said he would buy Honda first, Yamaha second.  His opinion is that Honda's been "doing 4 strokes forever and they got it dialed."  Cost is the prohibiting factor for me against Honda.

Seattleflyfisher

bird, that is was how I felt. I could not get a Honda dealer to move a penny. My old kicker at the time was a Yamaha 8 and it was the best motor I have ever had. So I talked to mark...shoreline mark....he had just got a good deal. I met the sales guy and we were able to put a deal together. 3 or 4 payments to him and the motor was mine.  Good luck.

Sff

So.Cali

I went E-tec, and love it. the 90 horse is right on the money for it. If it went any faster, my kidneys would be on strike.

amazing grace

Sounds like the decision is near birdman. A really exciting time for sure, congrats.

We all have our list from one to five in terms of favorites. I agree, all of them are good. Honda's have quite a following in Alaska and for good reason.

I hope to buy a good used one at some point.

The E-tec and buying two stroke oil is a moot point really. And they don't smoke or smell ether. I spent some time on a boat with one. At least I did not notice it. Not once.

I forgot So Cali you bought and E-tec. You and Salmon King are two here who have the E-tec and are both quite happy. I believe Zarn has one too. The list is getting longer :beerchug:

I know where there is a late model 115 Yamaha four stroke that is about $3000 over my budget :berry:
The addition to my shop going on right now is over budget too and is bad timing  :shrug9:

1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

birdman

I remember following So Cali and Zarn's re-power projects.  Like you all have said, I'm not sure you can go wrong with any of the late model 4 strokes or the etec.  Anything can be better than my old smoker.  I darn near get sick every time I'm salmon trolling because of the smell!  Not to mention at the dock when I'm warming it up and all the patrons are giving me foul (pun intended) looks.  I'll keep you posted on the progress of my project, with pictures, of course.