News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

The Repower Begins

Started by gd2b50, January 20, 2013, 09:17:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gd2b50

The decision made the shopping and research done I purchased a 2001 60 hp Yamaha for my 16 ft chaser. I made the trip from Portland to Tacoma to check out this engine that has very little hours, heard it run and I was sold, it looks and runs like new. All the wiring the control and cables came as part of the package. I am going to do the work myself, it looks like a fun project.
Of course there will be questions. My first one the mounting of the engine. What sealant is used at the mount bolts and what should the bolts be torqued at. My second question. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this engine harness? I just pulled in the driveway last night with this engine so I have not done the obvious and gone to fishermans to look at thier book selection for this engine. any reccomendatiin of the best books for information?
1991 1511 Sea Chaser
Yamaha 70
Yamaha 8

DSCS

This is the first site I found when I googled "2001 60 hp Yamaha shop manual". Five bucks to download the manual. There are others.

http://autofixmanuals.wordpress.com/2012/11/11/pdf-download-yamaha-outboard-60hp-60-hp-service-manual-1996-2006/

We're most of us liars, we're 'arf of us thieves,
an' the rest are as rank as can be,
But once in a while we can finish in style
(which I 'ope it won't 'appen to me).

wedocq

:yeahthat:
That's what I did for my Suzuki. The PDF manuals are great. You can do key word searches and find exactly what you are looking for quickly. If I need a hard copy, I would just hit print and take it out to the garage with me.
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

GregE

Good for you!!

Post up some pictures as you progress.   :wink:
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

gd2b50....Nice motor!
Assume you got  a long shaft. Here is some info about mounting heights and solutions on our ABOG site. 

3Arima Life / Re: Question on motor mounting.......?
« by LvrWurst 21 SR Skip on March 06, 2012, 10:40:26 AM »

I'd use an aluminum backing plate at the inside wet well face. West Marine has them. For mounting height, I'd hang the motor with some blocking under the mounting bracket so the engine mount doesn't sit on top of the transom glass. Raise our lower the engine so that the cavitation plate is in line or slightly above the keel...I think they say appx 1 to 1-1/2 inches.

And to prevent easy removal (theft) I'd want two lower thru transom bolts with nuts/washers behind inside the transom behind the fuel tank. The other two bolts with threads exiting outboard of the transom with washers and double nuts.

As for sealant...at the bolts...use 3M 4200 or 5200...fill the entire elongated bolt mounting slots flush.

Might be a good idea to check with your local Yami Dealer for a harness...gauge if you don't have it. Hope this helps...J W.
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

Seattleflyfisher

Nice choice in motors. Here is a picture of my motor with backing plate. I think you can get one local or from ebay.

SFF

Seattleflyfisher

Just another note. This is the time to make the change to hydraulic steering if you ever were thinking about it. Also this is the time to figure out how clean you want it installed. I spent a little time looking at other installs before I had mine done. I knew exactly how I wanted mine done. 

SFF

Threeweight

When my repower was done, the dealer who hung the Suzuki used some GIANT stainless fender washers (like 3" across).  Not sure where they came from.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

gd2b50

I will check for the info on the web that is a great idea. I like the aluminum back bar. I am assuming that the large stainless washers were on the long slots? And definitely will reverse a set of bolts. Thanks for the help getting this project on the road. First step, pulling the old johnson and fuel tank. I am thinking I like the idea of the hyd. steering. I did save money buying a used outboard. Princess ?????
1991 1511 Sea Chaser
Yamaha 70
Yamaha 8

Seattleflyfisher

I picked my Hydraulic parts up on ebay.  With that said there are only 3 parts to the hydraulic steering system. I bought each one separately. Remember West Marine matches internet prices and there is a link on our foum for a great price on a Baystar set-up.

SFF

PrincessTheBostonTerrier

Beloved Gd2b50, I would have supported you buying brand new!  You know I love you!  Now you can take the other four thousand and buy me a diamond collar . . .  BOL! :dance:
1991 Arima 1511 Sea Chaser
1990 Evinrude 15 hp kicker
2002 Yamaha f60
BRING ON THE FISH!

Markshoreline

2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

PrincessTheBostonTerrier

AH!  Very good!  You speak Boston Terrier! :wink:
1991 Arima 1511 Sea Chaser
1990 Evinrude 15 hp kicker
2002 Yamaha f60
BRING ON THE FISH!

Markshoreline

gd2b50

Here it is!  It happened last Saturday, January 26th!  For the price of a dinner at Jubitz :food:, PrincessTheBostonTerrier and I swapped out the old motor, and swapped in the new motor! :clap:  More to come, because there is more to do!  The fuel system needs to be cleaned and installed.  The controls need to be hooked up.  The electrical system has to be finished.
1991 1511 Sea Chaser
Yamaha 70
Yamaha 8

gd2b50

The repower really happened!  The BEFORE . . .
1991 1511 Sea Chaser
Yamaha 70
Yamaha 8

gd2b50

And the AFTER!!!!
1991 1511 Sea Chaser
Yamaha 70
Yamaha 8

gd2b50

I am very proud of you, Gd2b50!  I had lots of fun helping you!  Besides that, Jubitz has great food!  Not Haute Cuisine, but, hey, I'm used to kibble . . . BOL!  Love you, beloved husband of 27 years and 7 months!   :bowdown:
1991 1511 Sea Chaser
Yamaha 70
Yamaha 8

Seattleflyfisher

That is a beautiful picture!

Sff

La-Z-Buoy

You guys are going to smile every time you start that Yamaha up  :dance: ! Good job.

Richard
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Jeff

Wow!  That is going to be so much fun for both of you!  Where is Keith going to go now?
1989 Sea Sprinter
2005 Yamaha 60hp  ***Sold***

1989 Sea Chaser
2013 Honda 90hp *** 2020 Yamaha 9.9

gd2b50

Kieth at the moment is setting at my work place. I have a young man that thinks he would like to rebuild it as a senior project. If he does not do it I will be trying to sell kieth to someone that wants to take on a low compression smoker.
1991 1511 Sea Chaser
Yamaha 70
Yamaha 8

GoodDays

Looks Good 50 !!!  enjoy !! :clap:

GoodDays Greg

Markshoreline

Sooooo,
Are you going out now or will you wait until spring????
I'll bet you can't wait!

gd2b50

I still have several details to finish up but I have a hard time getting things done durring the week. Right now I am cleaning up the stern, after all the years of 2 stroke mix  being back there  I have a huge mess.  As soon as I get her water ready I will be dunking her in the drink. My best guess is that about the time springers get running good I will have her in the water. More pictures to come as I get things done.
1991 1511 Sea Chaser
Yamaha 70
Yamaha 8