News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

TunaliciousTuna.com

Started by Tunacious, January 01, 2013, 11:51:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tunacious

I am hoping for some feedback from my Arima friends before I sink my life savings into my new project.

Please let me know what you think of the label I have designed below to put on my own canned tuna.

Most of you know I set my 21 foot Arima up similar to a commercial tuna boat with outriggers and hand lines.  Last year was my first year fishing tuna. 
My original thoughts were just as a tax write off. 
I must have caught a disease or maybe its just my OCD :doh:
All I can think about is tuna fishing  :hoboy:
My boat is not big enough to make a lot of money tuna fishing but I do want to maximize my profits when I can.
Working a full time job, plus running my half time photography business, leaves me a little time to fit in a commercial tuna fishing business  :clap:

My thought is rather than spending my time delivering tuna to people during the season when my fishing days are limited already I will can the tuna and sell the tuna later in the year when I am not trying to find time to fish.  I would pay a commercial canner and then put my label on the can.

I will need to develop a website with a photo of me and my Arima, and accept credit cards.
What do you think????
Penquin

Tunacious

Sorry I can't figure out how to make the label bigger so you can see it.
Penquin

redbaronace

Went to the website for details on how to purchase some tuna but looks like the site is under development.

Could you pm me with some info.
Thanks,

Threeweight

Penquin, you have definitely got the Tuna! bug in a bad way.  Lucky I only have a 17', or I'd be trying to figure out a way to join you...

My advice would be to take a step back, and develop a business and marketing plan before you sink big $$ into this.  I think there is a specialty market for line-caught albacore in Portland (just look at what New Seasons charges for a can!).  I would think about different sales models -- direct to customer via the internet, through food shares/CSA's, farmers markets/Saturday market, etc...  The problem I forsee is the need to identify your market, then develop a plan to target them. 

If you want to do internet sales, you need to figure out a way to advertise to likely purchasers (folks interested in sustainable foods, seafood, seafood recipes, etc...).  Through food shares and CSA's (big things in Portland and Eugene these days), you need to figure out how to approach the folks currently running them and get them to carry your product.  The farmers market/Saturday Market approach might be the simplest, but also the most time/labor intensive.

I think the label you have probably looks great to a fisherman, but that may not be your target audience.  My suggestion would be focus on urban seafood consumers in places like Portland and Eugene, who want tasty, sustainable seafood.  Develop a label and marketing materials that would appeal to them.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

croaker stroker

I'd can them in a glass jar instead of a can, so they look "home made".  Also, other fish are good canned. I wouldn't limit myself to just tuna.   :twocents:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Tunacious

I got a friend who attends a farmer markets 6 days a week all year long.  He raises grass fed beef and sells his beef at the markets.  In the summer he also raises vegetables.  This friend of mine wants to sell my tuna at his booth.  I also know a lot of people who are into these cross fit gyms and the Paleo or "CaveMan" diets are huge right now.  On this diet they eat a lot of fish.
I think most of the internet sales are on the east coast.
There are not a lot of canners around.  Tillamook Boat House in Garbaldi will put your fish in a can.  There is a cannery in Coos Bay and then in Washington.  I think Tonys Smoke House in Oregon City might can.  No canners in Newport.  I think Tillamook will be the easiest for me.
I was kind of kidding around about a huge investment.  I will have to pay for the canning and the labels.  It costs about $1.85 for a 7.75 oz can and then the label.  You would have to pay for the canning before you could start to sell your tuna.
With my little boat, I wont have a lot of tuna to sell.
But when I do something I want to do it right.
I will think about the label.  I have a person who works for a large company.  He actually develops ways to brand products.  He is looking at my label now.
Penquin

La-Z-Buoy

I'm sorry, you have way too much energy. It makes me tired just thinking about it. You have a full time job, a part time job, and a hobby you want to make money at?  Do you sleep  :doh: ? What do you do to relax? I thought that was what the Arima was for  :clap: .

Ever make up your mind about the seating/fish storage options? Good luck in you quest.

Richard
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Tunacious