News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Wash down setup?

Started by Seattleflyfisher, March 06, 2011, 04:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seattleflyfisher

For anybody out here...do you have and like your wash down system?

fishing eagle

I can hopefully answer your question sometime in April. I have my wash down system still in its cardboard box. I need some better weather to install it and then ice out to test it.
(Reel Delight) a 2001 Sea Ranger 19, 2003 Honda 90, 2010 Yamaha T8 w/power tilt, Panther T4 steering system, Hummingbird electronics, & Scotty 1116 electric downriggers.
U.S. Navy Veteran, member of U.S. Power Squadron & Past President of Lake George Fishing Alliance (Retired & ready to fish!)

Seattleflyfisher

Did you get it from Arima?

StreamFixer

Mine came with the used boat.  Didn't work though.  Pump ran but no water. 

When I pulled the fuel tank to install new straps (it had some kind of macrame tie down system) I discovered who ever installed the washdown system (not a factory job) managed to pinch the hose between the tank and the floor it sat on.  Once I got that fixed, it works fine.

Nice to be able to clean up blood, spilled pop, other noxious beverages and pump the mess over the side.

Now that I have installed some rain gutter foam material between the drainage areas and the tank, there should be a lot less salad (from pulling crab pots) getting into the bilge.

Intake through the transom to the left of the bilge drain plug.

Nice system and gets the job done in a hurry.   :applause:

StreamFixer.

'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

fishing eagle

SFF mine is a Jabsco 32900 pump that has a 25' coiled hose, nozzle, filter and fittings and all for only $115. It's specs are 4 gpm amd 60 psi so I think it should give me plenty of wash down  water to keep my baby clean. And the pump has a 3 year warranty so how can I lose?
(Reel Delight) a 2001 Sea Ranger 19, 2003 Honda 90, 2010 Yamaha T8 w/power tilt, Panther T4 steering system, Hummingbird electronics, & Scotty 1116 electric downriggers.
U.S. Navy Veteran, member of U.S. Power Squadron & Past President of Lake George Fishing Alliance (Retired & ready to fish!)

woody

Been on boats with it ... I absolutely loved it.  It is the next on my list and will be done soon.

Woody

BigMac

My '04 22 SL had the washdown system when I bought in '08, but the pump was rusted/frozen.  Replaced with a pump on sale from West Marine (their brand) and installed in the port sponson.  It was originally in the bilge area and a pain to get to.

My biggest complaint with this set up is the toll it takes on the house battery.  I like to keep the cockpit clean of the very occasional fish blood, food crumbs, etc., so use it a lot.  My bride even has noticed and is jealous of my love affair with the squirter.  She thinks I overdo the clean up bit.

There have been posts on the yuku site and the one before about installing the system.  I remember one where the owner had the intake hose over the transom so didn't need to drill another hole in his boat.

Be sure the unit is flushed with fresh water after using in the salt.  Saw someplace where the average life of the unit is about 2 years due to corrosion.  That seems really short and hopefully can be extended with good maintenance.  The good news--the units aren't that expensive and it doesn't take much to replace.

Dave

Salmon King

I've been contemplating installing one in my craft too.  Like most of us...$$.$$ is a little tight right now so....I'll have to figure out how to make me one instead of buying one.

Terry B.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

wedocq

2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

HalfanIrishman

I also did not want to drill a hole in my boat and was concerned about any system that had a permanent intake below the waterline. Also did not want any possibility of having water siphoning through the pump into the boat.

I mounted a Jabsco Par-Max wash-down kit in the port rear compartment. The pump fits next to the battery that is also in that compartment. Mounted the strainer on the inside of the transom over the pump and ran the intake hose into the motor-well with about 3' extra hose. The outflow of the pump runs up to the port live-well where a hose connection was mounted as high as possible. The 25' of coiled hose can be screwed onto the hose connection and stowed in the live-well. An electrical switch was mounted on the fixed panel on the port side of the fuel tank.

To use, toss the hose in the motor-well overboard, flip the switch and the pump self primes to provide water to the connection in the live-well. The hose can be connected for wash down or if the bottom drain is plugged the live-well will fill to the overflow outlet. This setup worked for 3 years when the pump needed to be replaced. The boat is on a mooring so fresh water flush after each use was impossible so 3 years was not a bad life for the pump I suppose.

Salmon King

Half...I was thinking of going with something similar but using a bilge pump instead mounted to a clamp-on board that goes over the transom.  Can use the same connectors as my elec. DR's.

Terry B.
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

fishing eagle

Salmon King I also had that idea to use a bilge pump and to just drop it over the side when I wanted to use it. Then after more thought... that was almost like using the bucket, need a place to store it, have to pull it out to use and it was just too many steps. For a little extra cost & initial work to install.... the washdown pump is neater and easier. Hit the switch to power it and grab the nozzle and wash it down. Plus I think the washdown pump will have a more pressure to wash the dirt & blood away.

But if you try the bilge pump, please share your results and photos with us.

Salmon King

You have a valid point FE.

My thought was that the mounting would be narrow enough to store under the engine mounts in the splashwell when not in use.  While I would route the elec. wiring through the boot and up to the DR connector.  When I needed to use it (hopefully after a great day of blood and guts just hook it over the transom, tighten the clamp and turn it on.  Like others the coiled hose would store inside the baitwell (bleeder well).  In principle it should work perfectly providing plenty of pressure for my needs.

Would this qualify as a "redneck" modification???

Terry B.
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Threeweight

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

fishing eagle

3Wt I did consider one of them and it just may do the trick for Salmon King because he is mostly interested in washing down his boat when he returns to the dock. That washdown pump is easy to store and will easily sit on the transom or table. I chose to install a washdown pump because i am a bit annal and like to wash down my deck & boat whenever I get blood or fish slime on it. On a good day of Salmon fishing that can happen often.  :fishing:

HalfanIrishman

I would be concerned with using a bilge pump as a wash down pump for 2 reasons; what pressure do they develop and will they be damaged by restricting the flow? My bilge pumps are both centrifugal pumps which can be damaged by restricting or stopping flow (like by a nozzle). Also my bilge pumps (Rule) produce enough flow they do not seem to generate near the pressure of the wash down pump.

Just a consideration.

fishing eagle

Looky looky... my raw water washdown system is complete and installed in my Sea Ranger. Total cost less than $150 and that includes all fittings, power switch, intake and output water hoses. I did some thinking as how to install the washdown and not have any hoses in my way. They do sell a few different marine products to hold your coiled hose and they ran between $80-120 for a piece of plastic. A marine type SS quick connect fitting for the coiled hose was $50-70 and I said no way. Anyway my washdown is functional, very neat and out of the way. I have added photos to my gallery so for those other Arima owners wanting a washdown system, it is very doable!

And it works. It took maybe 10 seconds for my pump to pick up its prime and build up pressure to the shut-off pressure point. The pump automatically shuts off when you are not spraying water and pressure is at set-point. Once I had the initial prime, it maintained it. I am not sure if I might lose the prime or water in the intake hose when running the boat at planning speed; but no big deal I think. This pump is made to run dry and get its own prime.

fishing eagle

My raw water washdown got a real test & work-out yesterday. Never in my life had I seen so much blood everywhere and it was from only one Lake Trout that didn't seem injured except for a treble hook in the mouth. Before I could get that fish unhooked, he had splashed blood all over the deck, transom, fishing rods, both outboards and the two fishermen.  My fishing buddy ran back into the cockpit behind the enclosure as he laughed at me. I can't believe how long I had to squeeze that nozzle and spray water to clean up the mess.

Oh the fish swam happily away right back toward the bottom when I released it. The washdown worked great.

StreamFixer

I assume you two took turns washing down each other???   :shrug9:   :biggrin:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Markshoreline

My SR19 has the original 14 gallon tank in the cuddy that pumps water through a hose to the port aft baitwell, and it actually works.  However, the hose is really cruddy looking so I looked at the routing to see if I could replace it.  After it leaves the aft running beneath the gunwale, it enters a hole then seems to run between the hull and liner up to the bow.  My cuddy is full of boxes right now so I'm not able to see where it exits to the tank.  But I'm thinking I probably cannot replace the hose through it's present route.  Anyone know about this?
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Salmon King

Mark...you might consider a hose union and zip tyes (I think clamps would catch on ya)...then pull it through.  In theory it should work, but in reality?  If your reality is like mine well..... :shrug9:
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Markshoreline

I was thinking the same thing as you.  Tugged on the hose pretty good but it didn't budge at all.  I wonder if they ran the hose through the space, then added the foam?

StreamFixer

Ask Burnsiebabe, Belinda will know

Streamfixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Markshoreline

Yes, you are correct!  Here's the answer:

how is the fresh water tank line in an SR19 routed to the stern?

And how would a person replace it?

I tugged on it from the aft and it seems to run between the liner and the hull.  Is it foamed in place and thus cannot be removed?

Mine is dark and stiff and I'd like to replace it- anyone have some tips?

ANSWER- To replace it yu would just run a new line from the tank to the stern, under the gunwales. the original is foamed in place. If it is just that the end looks really bad, you can cut it off and use a fresh piece and a hose connector somewhere down under the baitwell. The water in the tank is not for drinking.

Belinda

fishing eagle

Quote from: StreamFixer on April 27, 2011, 07:20:08 PM
I assume you two took turns washing down each other???   :shrug9:   :biggrin:

StreamFixer

I think not... water temp was 39 degrees at surface and air temp. was 49 degrees.  It was still good to be out fishing and that was the second fish of the season in the boat!