News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

New Canvas for an '88

Started by woody, March 05, 2011, 10:52:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody

When I got a clean bill of health for my '88 Johnson I decided to put new canvas on.

When you do this, you need an upholsterer that listens, you need it tailored to your weather, fishing and other needs.

My needs included: Sunbrella, one man up and down, foldable to go into my garage, trailerable in any position including with slope up, a slope for mooring and in the open over night when geared for a 5'o clock ETD, extension to cover four seats and comfort for Dan and other giraffes.

Here's what I have.

and with slope:

and folded for garage:

Lots of other pictures in various states of undress.

I extended the top 1-1 1/2 feet back to cover my boxes and keep four people dry.  I liked Canvas Guys fold back drop, but went with traditional 3 panel roll up for convenience.  I turned down clear vinyl over the front ... it mists up in fog, needs replacement too often to keep clear and will  open up for Dan.

Two more pins to pull and the whole top is off and on the floor of your garage.

Not a design for everyone, just some thing I think will work for me.  Double pockets for windows, heavy vinyl, etc.  'bout every thing I could think of and afford.

Woody

arimaed

Hi Woody,

That top looks fantastic! How about some details as everyone is going to ask:

Who made it?
Cost: (As much as a new 4 stroke)? (LOL)
Color? (It looks black from the pictures)
Can it be folded up in the top storage cover for transport?
How fast can you set it up?
Can you tow at 60 mph with the top up?

I need a new top!

Tight lines,
Ed
1985 17' Sea Chaser 1985 75hp Mercury and 1985 9.8hp Mercury

CanvasGuy

looks great woody..  :beerchug: good choice to go sunbrella in that navy color it will stay dark for Years..no fading as in top gun.. and breath out if put up wet in the boot.. sweet i see he mounted the frame inside of the windows..
ok and extended it back for good cockpit coverage as you seat 4 quite well :smile1: I see you opted for commonsense fasteners instead of zippers to the side windows..is that for longevity?

You will be stylin now :applause:

enjoy..

Gary
Gary Smart
boatless  now
http://www.smartcustomcanvas.com
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." Arthur C. Clarke

woody

Ed, I had it made locally, a guy I've used for 5 years for repairs and odds ands.  I've referred to him and each time received thanks for the referral, Russ, Dave, etc

Tony Fisher, West Coast Trim Works (http://www.westcoasttrimworks.com). He works at home, double garage with day light basement and side parking. Gresham, 503 347-6328.

Can't say the price, we had trades going, but you can expect $1500 for top complete, 3-4 for slope (if you duplicated mine, double pockets, etc, etc).  This is complete with every thing, custom to your boat and your needs.  He will discuss every thing and work it out..  Tony will work with you and things can be simplified to get close to $1000 I think.  Needless to say,  it's his call.

Color is black, same as my other seats, bags, strips.

Can be folded as in pictures 30, 33, and folds back (not like traditional Arimas) to look like speed boats.

Takes me 5-10 minutes to put up or down, approximately, 1-2 hours if Russ helps.

You can (and I have) tow it at freeway speeds in any position.  Lock fasteners between top and slope foe security. Slope is lock fasteners over motor with good ventilation and has a drain gutter to direct water.

Talk to Tony, let him give you an estimate.  No problem if you don't like it.

Gary:

It's Sunbrella black.

Yep, 1 foot and a half covers everyone.

Lock fasteners (twisters) slope to front top.

Inside forms to get better slope and wide coverage with a tapered side as in pictures 14, 22,  23.

Snug as a bug.

Woody

arimaed

Woody,

Thanks for answering all my questions. The top looks spectacular! I hope SF and 3wt will be as jealous of your top as you are of their 4 strokes! Your boat is going to be so well equiped, everyone will want to go with you and put zero hours on their new engines! (LOL)

Tony did a great job on the top. I will when finances allow call him and get a quote. I really like the extended top idea to give a passenger enough room to sit the right way not sideways! (I have a back to back seat).

The new bait station looks like a winner! Is Russ taking orders yet?

Ed
1985 17' Sea Chaser 1985 75hp Mercury and 1985 9.8hp Mercury

monkeycmonkeydo

Woody

Wow that black canvas really makes the Arima pops. Is the tubing made out of stainless steel?
I know who I will call when time to replace mine. I just love looking at pictures from owners who love their Arima. :clap:

Dave

Seattleflyfisher

He did a nice job!  Did he do the patterning at your place, then go back to the shop and sew the parts?

woody

Mo c, MO d

Yes, the tubing is thick S/S as are all fitings.

Ed

All work was done at his place.  H's got a table the size of a king size bed with sewing machine(s) built in.

Woody

beancounter

Very nice money well spent. if you sold in a few years you would get all that back I think and if not you get to enjoy it. Way to go. Nothing wrong with spending money on our toys.

woody

Beaner

Ain't planing on selling.  Come the time I want a Viking funeral, me and my Arima, set adrift aflame.

Woody

StreamFixer

Yeah, then comes the news chopper, fire boats, newspaper, etc.   GLORY HOG   :berry:   :facepalm:

Heck that's the only thing you have that's worth anything.  Have some consideration for Jean's, and the kids, inheritance   :doh: :facepalm:

:biggrin: StreamFixer :biggrin:
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

fishing eagle

No viking funeral... too much pollution. Have you not any concerns for our ecology and enviroment Woody?
(Reel Delight) a 2001 Sea Ranger 19, 2003 Honda 90, 2010 Yamaha T8 w/power tilt, Panther T4 steering system, Hummingbird electronics, & Scotty 1116 electric downriggers.
U.S. Navy Veteran, member of U.S. Power Squadron & Past President of Lake George Fishing Alliance (Retired & ready to fish!)

woody

And you are talking to a guy with an 88 Johnson 2 stroke 90 hp?

Shame on you. The tree huggers would be there biding me a grand adieu.

Woody

croaker stroker

Don't burn the Arima !  Leave it to me and I'll build a nice flamable box to push you out to sea in.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

StreamFixer

Croaker

Save the box.  Woody is so full of hot air, we can just push him out to sea.  Might need to devise some sort of anchor system to keep him in contact with the water.

I have it on good authority that the hot air is flammable too.  Don't stand down wind in the shop with him and be ready to open all doors and windows at a moments (non)notice even with snow blowing at gale force.   :hoboy:

Even had a minor flare-up from the propane heater once,  Oh, I'm sorry, I guess that was me, .... but I blamed Woody and he didn't argue... :doh:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

croaker stroker

You guys need to step away from the Black Butt Porter.   :beerchug:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

wavewalker

I called Tony, and I'm scheduled for the 3rd week this month, which I just happen to stumble into, otherwise it would have been late next month. Going with a burgundy, since I ordered the "new" Arima burgundy/teal stripes for the boat. The two hour drive looks like it might be worth it. Got a "local" bid; was more than his, and they were using my old frame; not his new one.
94 Sea Explorer 1511
Wave Walker

woody

Not sure what all you are going with so AFTER you talk with Ton, let us know. He normally sends me pictures, but you can too.

Woody

Seattleflyfisher

Go with the work you see. I had a guy make a new canvas top for me a couple of years ago. I had no idea of what I was looking at and when I brought it home I noticed the top was not tight. I wanted 3 stainless steal bows and he gave me 2 aluminium bow top. I can not say enough about looking at their work that has been done.

I drove over 2 hours to get a crappy top that I am still talking about :shrug9:

Woodys top looks nice!

wavewalker

After looking at the pics he sent me of work he's done on an Arima, they were of your boat. I told him I'd like something similar, but maybe the center forward roll up flap in clear. I don't need to go extra tall, I'm 5'8", wife is shorter, the tallest son or step-son is 6 foot. If anyone taller comes along, they will have to duck; something they are probably used to doing anyway. I've heard nothing but good things about Tony.
Since I've moved here from the Tacoma area, I have noticed the "coast" mentally what I call it. Places tend to gouge you around here, things and services tend to be more, which is why I don't mind driving a ways for quality and a fair price.
WW

Threeweight

Re: the clear plastic for a center window above the windshield...

On my top, the seam of this window leaks like a sieve, and no amount of seam sealer has ever been able to quite put a stop to it.  Cold water dripping down onto your hands/electronics is not fun.

When I traded emails w/ Woody about his top a few weeks ago, this canvas guy suggested skipping the window to avoid the risk of leaks in that area.  Makes more sense to me now (and i can never really see anything out of the plastic window anyway (unless I want to look up at the sky), main purpose it serves on my boat is letting more light in.

My 2 cents.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Salmon King

Man Woody I really like that top! Your guy does great work!

PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

wavewalker

In the lower Columbia River area where I am, I like to drive standing up so I can look for dead heads in the water easier. But I'm open to ideas. Yea any leaks kind of negates the reason for a top in the first place. Tony has been doing this for a long time, so I'll be listening.
WW

GoodDays

if you like to drive standing up, consider having the forward slope a little more straight up and down.. and have it so it opens..mine has several snaps on the inner bows so I can open it and fold it in and attatch it to the "cëilling""

GoodDays Greg :gone_fishing:

Threeweight

What GoodDays said... the window in my top is fairly new (installed 2 years ago) and in pretty good shape, but you can't see that much detail out of it.  Would be hard to spot a small log or tip of a deadhead or something.  To drive standing up, I'd get the top made so you can open the front and roll it up.

I think Woody had something on his old top where he could snap some bungee type straps to it and pull it back out of the way.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson