Author Topic: New Canvas for an '88  (Read 4064 times)

Re: New Canvas for an '88
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2011, 11:14:45 AM »
Well current world events and other personal situations have delayed my new canvas :shrug9: So I will be looking for at least a useable top for a Sea Explorer 1511. Guess that is all I can hope for.
WW

Offline Grizzle

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2011, 11:59:01 PM »
I just found a guy down in Edgewood that just finished a top and full enclosure for me.  I was keen to make it strong enough to tow with it up, and also have it strong with the forward window rolled up.   He put in an extra set of "legs" that go forward to the edge of the windshield and then made the forward curtain zip out.  So I can remove the forward "glass" curtain and still have a full strength top.   I had my option and chose a material called "Topgun", cool stuff.  He did the entire thing for about $1200.  I had it made a bit taller because I like to stand up sometimes and drive.

He also put in the gaskets between the top and the windshield and it made a big difference keeping it dry when big spray was hitting us out a sekiu last week.

Brook Stockton - My Boat: Mighty Molly - The Fish Monger - Arima SeaChaser 16 - Soft SkipTower and "The Rack"

SALTBOSS™ MARINE - Offshore Marine Products & Fabrication - http://saltbossmarine.com - brook@saltbossmarine.com - 206-953-SALT (7258)

Seattleflyfisher

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2011, 07:58:51 AM »
You know the rule :arms:

if there are no pictures then it did not happen :cha:

lets see what you have!

SFF

Offline woody

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2011, 09:03:37 AM »
If you can, some details/pictures of those "gaskets".  Canvas guy showed the positive effect in a video, my top is tight, but I would like details and pictures of the gasket itself.  Retrofit?  Russ' had some blow under the other day but it was rough chop and 25 +- mph ... so not a routine occurance.

Woody

Offline CanvasGuy

• ArimaOwners.com Sr. Banner Engineer
  • Fisherman
  • aka king slayer
  • View Gallery
    • Smart Custom Canvas
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2011, 09:28:43 AM »
ok woody here is a pick of the seal.
.you'll have to cut off your snaps and have your guy sew it on and replace the snaps..not a big deal.you'll love the results.
mine extend down the side windows also. :smile1:

Gary
Gary Smart
boatless  now
 http://www.smartcustomcanvas.com
“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

Offline Grizzle

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2011, 10:17:18 AM »
Woody your new top is the best looking one I think i've ever seen.  Looks fast...
Brook Stockton - My Boat: Mighty Molly - The Fish Monger - Arima SeaChaser 16 - Soft SkipTower and "The Rack"

SALTBOSS™ MARINE - Offshore Marine Products & Fabrication - http://saltbossmarine.com - brook@saltbossmarine.com - 206-953-SALT (7258)

Offline woody

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2011, 11:05:08 AM »
Thanks Grizzle.  It certainly is easy up/down, love its ability to be trailered in any configeration and tightness.

Thank's Canvas,  will send on.

Woody
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 02:05:41 PM by woody »

Offline woody

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2011, 01:59:55 PM »
Grizzle

Nice looking top. Your cost was right in the money. Looks like a Bimini top and as you saw I put in a convertible.  Top Gun is great, especially for your area.  In my area, rainy drearier Oregon, I think it has a tendency over time to shrink a bit and light fading and if not kept clean a little mildew and mold, so I went with sunbrella.  Lots of different schools on that subject.  Keep it clean  You did your home work, have a beautiful top at a good price that is tailored for your area.  Doubt if you fish in my area so I just have to admire from your pictures. I like the gaskets, I didn't do that and am ok.  None if any spray but definitely an option that should be considered if you operate at speed or extreme gusty waves. You must have gone with good stainless and polished window vinyl for towing.

Woody
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 02:05:16 PM by woody »

Offline woody

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2011, 04:35:38 PM »
I talked with Tony, my Top Guy.  Like Canvas Guy, he is familiar with the gasket.  He can also retro fit it.  Mine is too snug right now, but an idea if anyone is getting unacceptable through spray at speeds/big waves. Canvas Guy, you should talk to Tony, share ideas.  Sounds and looks like you are both inventive and have great ideas. Good thing is, no competition Tony's PDX, Canvas Guy covers Seattle..

Woody