News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Pumps Install

Started by StreamFixer, November 28, 2012, 01:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StreamFixer

I am anticipating installing baitwell and washdown pumps this winter.  I plan to go through the hull in the vicinity of the bilge pump, placing the new pumps between the fish box and the  rear of the cockpit (19 SC has a 12" +/- deck plate in that area).

Having purchased the boat used, I am often surprised (but certainly not shocked) at what I find.  In this case there are at least one lead jig head and a pyramid weight in the bilge, along with tons of fir needles and who knows what else.  I do not want to pull the fuel tank, to gain bilge access, as it is full of fuel and looks to be a royal pain in the butt to R&R.  However, that stuff needs to come out as it often ends up blocking or poking through my garboard plug when trying to drain the boat after an outing.

As the pump install proceeds I will need to purchase some 3/4" flexible pipe to reach various outlets.  I am thinking of duct taping a length of that pipe to my shopVac hose to be able to reach, and help remove, the various pieces of crap and debris that has taken up residence in the nether reaches of my bilge.

Has anyone tried this or heard of other effective methods of getting at that area without pulling the tank?

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

fishing eagle

SF have you thought of installing your washdown pump without going through the hull. Mine works great and I just put the intake hose over the transom. One less thru-hull fitting for me to worry about and a super easy install. I am assuming your using the one pump for the washdown and then filling the baitwell via same pump. Take a look at my photo gallery and you will see my raw water installation... nice and easy! Also easy to maintain or repair if ever needed.

I your looking to install a livewell pump, that is another issue and better served with a thru-hull opening.
(Reel Delight) a 2001 Sea Ranger 19, 2003 Honda 90, 2010 Yamaha T8 w/power tilt, Panther T4 steering system, Hummingbird electronics, & Scotty 1116 electric downriggers.
U.S. Navy Veteran, member of U.S. Power Squadron & Past President of Lake George Fishing Alliance (Retired & ready to fish!)

Hydro-Therapy

SF when I pulled and up graded my  tank , There was not enough room to access much of anything under the tank without pulling it.There is a false liner that goes partially under the tank that makes it difficult to get back under it.  It really is not that hard to pull the tank once you get the fuel out. It will maybe take you  30 min.with a cordless drill. If you do pull the tank be sure to save the banding clips.For new banding , if I remember correct someone on here has  a spool of it. Good Luck on the adventure.

H-T

Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

StreamFixer

I am planning to install two pumps off one through hull fitting (VXHatch did something similar last summer).  The limited clearance under the false liner is why I am thinking about the 3/4" hose extension.  Removing, and temporarily storing, 40 gallons of non-ethanol fuel is right at the bottom of my priority list.   :biggrin:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

La-Z-Buoy

Gee SF, why don't you just take the boat out for a run up the river and burn off the fuel? Surely you don't have as much crap running down the Columbia or Willie as the Umpqua does right now :hoboy: .

Oh wait. I see you have a 4s motor, that would take longer  :doh: . If it weren't for the fuel I agree with H-T, pull the tank. The benefit is that not only do you get your bilge clean and you know whats there, you can check the tank, fuel lines, wiring and maybe uncover stuff that needs to be uncovered. Once R&R is done you won't have to worry about it any more. I'm sure there are enough PDX rats in the area that would help you deal with getting rid of the fuel so you don't have a storage problem  :whistle:  :biggrin: .

Richard
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

StreamFixer

I have no doubt whatsoever there are lots of folks willing to help me dispose of about $200 of fuel.  And perhaps a couple of days cruising, would reduce the quantity on board,  but my scotch soul will not allow.   :nono:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

croaker stroker

Start saving those plastic milk containers.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

fishing eagle

You can always run your tanks low on your vehicles, then drain your Arima tank and burn the fuel in your vehicles. Then you can pull, your fuel tank, insure its nice and clean, and later on fill it with $200 of fresh fuel to start your new boatings season off with.

If you going to put a fitting through the transom, I think you really want the tank out of your way. Plus you can clean you bilge fairly well and also inspect wiring and hoses.

I know it is easy for all the Arima onlookers and cherring squad to give advice.  :applause:
(Reel Delight) a 2001 Sea Ranger 19, 2003 Honda 90, 2010 Yamaha T8 w/power tilt, Panther T4 steering system, Hummingbird electronics, & Scotty 1116 electric downriggers.
U.S. Navy Veteran, member of U.S. Power Squadron & Past President of Lake George Fishing Alliance (Retired & ready to fish!)

allpauwork

When I bought my Arima, all of the wiring and switches were corroded so I went ahead and yanked EVERYTHING out just to see what went where, etc.  The fuel tank was a chore to pull but in the process of taking out the starboard side piece of wood housing the tank, I found termite damage!  Minwax epoxy took care of that.

One tip, when I reinstalled the tank, instead of using the packing straps, I used really long and thick cable ties.  It was much easier.

StreamFixer

Not going through the transom as I want the bait well pump to draw even when on the step, ergo, I don't need to go through the transom.  And, I have replace the wiring that I plan to replace.

I am NOT going to pull the fuel tank because I think there is a means to clean the crap from under it without doing so.  It will not be spotless, but I think as least the 'big chunks' can be removed. 

Back to my original question.  Has anyone used a vacuum extension to get at the crap that collects in the bilge under the fuel tank or does anyone have something else they would recommend, other than pulling the fuel tank.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Danno

Quote from: StreamFixer on November 28, 2012, 09:07:49 PM
Back to my original question.  Has anyone used a vacuum extension to get at the crap that collects in the bilge under the fuel tank or does anyone have something else they would recommend, other than pulling the fuel tank.

I haven't used a vacuum extension but I did use one of those long three pronged grippers to reach into the bilge area from the drain hole to grab leaves and anything else that wanted to block the drain. I even grabbed a 2 or 3 oz cannon ball weight but couldn't pull it through the drain so I pushed it until I could reach from inside the boat.

2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

vxhatch

Quote from: StreamFixer on November 28, 2012, 02:41:08 PM
I am planning to install two pumps off one through hull fitting (VXHatch did something similar last summer).  The limited clearance under the false liner is why I am thinking about the 3/4" hose extension.  Removing, and temporarily storing, 40 gallons of non-ethanol fuel is right at the bottom of my priority list.   :biggrin:

StreamFixer

Russ,

Let me know if you have any questions when you do the install. I will try to help when possible. What are you planning to use for a bait tank? Are you going to drain it over the transom or are you going to add a thru hull drain? The bait pump I used (rule tournament 500gph) screwed right into the ball valve attached to the thru hull. Then there is a port off the bait pump to install your raw water washdown intake hose, then you run the hose to your washdown pump. I finally finished installing the bait tank in my 19SC and will take some more photos pretty soon, when I put it up for sale.  I do agree pulling the tank will make it easier to do the install and also a good time to check and clean everything  :jester:

Nick
2001 22' SeaSport Sportsman

amazing grace

Russ, no on the vacuum extension. Never tried. I am doing some work on my 89' SR. I am considering pulling the tank on mine. JW encourged me to do so. Found some goodies rolling around under the floor panel just forward of the fuel tank and looking into the drain hole from the outside makes me think I should gain access to it :bigshock:

My tank has no straps on it and one of the three little metal strap holders is broke. I like the long cable tie idea allpauwork. Mine has a 48 gallon tank. I guess I might have to put two together to make one? Other than removing some fuel, unhooking the fill hose, vent hose, and supply line to the motor what else is involved?

Besides getting stuff out from under there, checking and possibly upgrading the a bilge pump I am seriously consideing removing anything back behind there related to the bait well's. I just do not see myself ever using them for anything other than storage or maybe a cooler, crazy?

Good luck Russ.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

StreamFixer

Nick

I'm not going for anything like you did as I am not planning to head for Tuna! with my 19.  I'll bum a ride with WeDoCQ. 

Just activating the starboard sponson tank (a stock Arima option).  Like yourself, I plan to make one hole through the hull, install one of those brass, tear drop shaped, screened intakes, to a tee then the two pumps (one LP for bait well, and one HP for washdown).  Nothing fancy, just useful to have....

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

StreamFixer

Danno

I'll be working with one of those 'grippers' too.

SF
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

La-Z-Buoy

Okay, okay, I'll stop hounding you to pull the tank  :bowdown: . You may be able to reach back with some kind of implement and remove debris. I know that on mine because there is a bilge pump, a bait tank pump, and two through transom fittings for the bait tank and wash down pumps and the associated hoses and wires, they just block any kind of cleaning tool. With all that equipment not currently present in your boat you might be able to get it fairly clean. Just keep a little wire hook with you when draining to assist pulling crap out the back. Have fun......

Richard
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT

woody

Richard

The 19's are slightly different, just to the aft of the fish wells. in front of the wall between gas tank and fishing area is a removable piece of deck.  Bout 12" long, width as fish storage .  It helps with access a ton better then on the 17's.

Woody

StreamFixer

19SC is a bit different

There is a deck plate between the rear of the fish box and the fuel tank that allows access to the false deck the tank sits on.  The false deck in this area is a thin structure that serves no real structural purpose that I can see.  Go through that false deck and you are in the larges section of the bilge that lies between the fish box and the transom.  The deck plate measures 7" x 40". 

This is where I will access the bilge for cleaning, installing pumps etc.  ( I will check for clearance before making bunches of holes, etc., but it looks like about 5" (at least the height of the bilge pump or depth of the fish box plus bilge below the box)) 

FYI because of the extra deck length in a 19SC, the storage between the front seats is 38" long, about twice that of a 17SC.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

La-Z-Buoy

You know what they say Russ,,,,,, pictures  :shrug9: .
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT

Salmon King

Yes  to the vacum extension Russ.

In my case I had to work around the transducer I mounted under there. But it worked just fine.
I used a regular vacum hose and crevice tool attached to my shopvac with a homemade adapter to neck it down.

S.K.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

PNW Pride

For those interested in seeing what the area below the gas tank looks like, please refer to Old No 7's informative post.  In the search bar type "tank removal", you will see good pics of a job well done.  Thanks Old No 7!   :bowdown: :beerchug: :applause:
21' Sea Ranger/Honda 150HP

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

Yes to adapting a smaller flex hose...even a garden hose to your shop vac to suck up debris from your bilge. You can even use a wet vac..flood your bilge, float up the debris.

Grace...you won't find much when you remove the tank as we removed the tank when repowering Dec 2010. Maybe some bits of mono/floro...Oh, if you find anything of value(sinkers - jigs) please UPS them back to me.

Re: Straps for fuel tank....they appeared to be fiberglass and the old ones were shredded. The 48 Gal tank was a very snug fit and after placing the tank back in the recessed area, we found the front recessed deck area....shimmed,, was a very good way to stop the tank from moving forward. Also, we placed threaded bolt/knobs thru the fiberglass to secure the top of the removable transom ply infront of the tank. All very secure....but if the boat flips....ain't nothing going to hold back a fully loaded fuel tank.  See pic of black knobs on your 19 SR. Respectfully, submitted....J Doo
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

StreamFixer

The preceding post's photo shows the 7" x 40" panel that runs across between the fuel tank and fish box that I was describing in an earlier post.  Thank you J.W.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

woody

Well Streamfixer, if you have that much good accessible entrance to under your tank why are you so h...  bent on removing the tank?.  I mean giving away $200 in gas seems a bit touched when all you have to do is remove that panel, use a shop vac say with a 1 3/4" hose or so jerry rigged to it and suck out the crap.

At times you certainly are hard headed.        Excuse me Russ, are you talking to me?  You know you should talk in my left (or is it my right) ear. And mind your language, this is a family forum.

Woody

Threeweight

In Russ' defense, I will say it was very very nice of him to invite folks over to siphon all the gas we want out of his truck so he could make room for the fuel he needs to pump out of the boat.

Thanks for passing his offer on to all the PDX rats, Woody!  :applause:
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson