News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Nov 7 crabbing - B-20 Hammond OR

Started by StreamFixer, November 11, 2012, 08:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StreamFixer

Tides not the best and not so good weather forecast but we (2 of us) went anyway.

On the water with pots down 2 PM.  Half a shad in each pot.

Left the launch at 5 pm (heavy dusk)

Fortunately we had some well qualified supervision

We ended up cooking 23 crab.  :food: One dandy managed to escape from the open bait tank and a miscount, when measuring for final, resulted in me throwing a small keeper back.   :doh:

That's my size 12 shoe next to the right side of the cooler.

Average size was around 7 inches.  And there were very few with soft shells.

My partner for the day, Steve J, had never harvested, boiled and cleaned crab.....  He had quite an experience as I tried to let him do it all    :whistle:

E-Z puller worked REALLY well.  I run 36" round heavy pots.  Thread the rope over the davit pulley, across the power shiv, over the lower shiv and apply about 5# pressure (thumb and one finger grip) to the rope.  Flip the switch and up comes the pot.

Woody (from previous trips), Steve J and I are in agreement, no-one under 40 is allowed to use the puller except the davit pulley.  They need to learn to do it the 'right way' (sore shoulders and all) first.   :clap:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

xplorz

Scweet! Tides look good next weekend. Crab the morning flood, cook, clean and ice in the parking lot, then head on to Long Beach for a limit if razor clams.

QuoteSteve J, had never harvested, boiled and cleaned crab.....  He had quite an experience as I tried to let him do it all

Boy.....he is a lucky guy!  :jester:

'89 Arima Sea Chaser 17, 98 Honda horses.

croaker stroker

Nice haul. Now you just need some fresh sourdough bread & melted butter.  :food:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

StreamFixer

Son's father-in-law and his nephew (14) are heading over to join me for Friday and Saturday crabbing out of Hammond.  The tides do look good indeed.  Not much rain in the forecast, should be good crabbing.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu