News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Arimas and TUNA!

Started by Threeweight, March 01, 2011, 11:06:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threeweight

Given the discussions in the other two offshore threads, I thought I'd post a link to an interesting discussion over on IFish from a while back...  worth checking out (if only for the pictures).  One guy there fishes for tuna out of Tillamook in his 17'!

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=288517&highlight=arima+tuna+kicker
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

wedocq

3-WT,
Some interesting info there. I especially like the guy who said he had a 19' boat similarly designed to the Arima, ya right! I talked to a Charter boat Captain that lives on my route, but fishes out of Oregon. Apparently there is no place to get live bait down there :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Trolling for tuna= :party:

Live bait fish for tuna=  :cha: :cha: :cha: :party: :party: :party: :dance: :dance: :dance: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :cha: :cha: :cha: :party: :party: :party: :dance: :dance: :dance: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :smile1: :smile1: :smile1: :smile1: :smile1: :smile1: :cha: :cha: :cha: :party: :party: :party: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Threeweight

I thought the tip on running from Hood River to the Dalles and back in the summer to practice long trips in rough water, and get an idea of fuel burn, was interesting.  I may have to try that.

I really want to get my 17' out in the ocean more this summer... perhaps a couple of us who are interested in  tuna/salmon in the salt could plan a weekend or two to run as buddy boats.

Re: live bait... yeah, it sucks.  Did a trip out of Tillamook last summer in a 26' Striper where we attempted to use dead chovies as chum to bring up the tuna... a waste of $50 bucks.

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Critr Gitr

Never ave caught as many Tuna out of my 22' sea legend as I did in my 2- ft Boulton aluminum. Same tactics just don't seem to work - some say the Arima is too "clean" of a hull. Anyone else have similar issues ?

GregE

wELKome aboard Critr-  but what does having a clean hull present a problem with catching Tuna?

3 WT, Bandaid and I were slow to make our first TUNA run ( lots of unknowns and prep / timing issues ) but now she's thinking we should plan to head back home to OR to get into some Albis earlier in the season.  If that works out I'd be interested in Buddying up and/or taking some members as crew.  Where are you planning to launch?
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Threeweight

Old thread...

Critr Gitr, good to see you posting here!  I have admired your boat in Ifish!  I mostly fish Tuna! out of a friends boat (22' Stabicraft) out of Tillamook.  My Arima Tuna! fishing experience is mostly in my own boat (17' Chaser).  One thing I heard (on a charter trip w/ Maverick a few years ago) is that a boat's wake/prop wash is what initially draws Tuna! in on a troll.  The bigger the ruckus, the better.  Mark would troll on one of his outdrives on Maverick (twin diesel power catamaran), and trim it up very high to kick  up a big frothy wake.  His idea was that the noise and shadow caused by the wake would draw the Tuna! in to investigate.

Rebait, my experience is limited on the south coast... Brookings, Port Orford, and Charleston get the first shot at the fish in Oregon.  Most of my fishing has been out off Newport on the central coast, and Tillamook on the North Coast.  The run to the Tuna! grounds tends to be shorter out of Tillamook, but the bar crossing at Newport is much more predictable.

A shot from my 17' Chaser, 30 miles NE of Newport in July...

--- Hunter S. Thompson

GregE

The Critr Gitr???  How cool is that?  I'm GregE on most other boards

Center pole mount on the tray table is neat.  Battery access port is something I'm planning on too.

I've not run a boat out of OR- though I've fished Winchester Bay and Charleston with my uncles back in the 50- 60s and gone on charters from those ports.  Newport has always intrigued me...  I'd want to learn Tillamook before going on my own.
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

wedocq

CG,
I got 50 in my 21' Arima on my big weekend this year.
-Shawn

redbaronace

Quote from: wedocq on October 30, 2012, 10:15:24 PM
CG,
-Shawn

Wowwwww.  Can I come fishing with you.

StreamFixer

Pick your day carefully RedB

He isn't talking much about his 2 fish days...   :jester:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

redbaronace

Quote from: wedocq on October 30, 2012, 10:15:24 PM
CG,
-Shawn

Catching that much fish in one outing, you certainly must run out of space in the freezer.  I however have plenty of room in mine where I could safely store your fish.  I will even eat it periodically to ensure that it doesn't get freezer burn by sitting too long.

Please let me know when you want me to show up.

wedocq

Rb,
I will have to introduce you to my canner!

SF,
Whatchyu talkin' about?  :biggrin:

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

Interesting talk....I don't fish for tuna but trolling for Stripers 'n Salmon, the center rod on my 16,19 & 21 was (is) my "Hot Rod". with all rods being the same length 'n action...the center rod thumps like a mother...hence more action on the lures.Just sayin...J Doo Dad.
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

Keel-er

3WT, I'd be your wingman (boat!) anytime.  Don't need to twist my arm too hard to get out on the ocean, conditions permitting.  Given the EL Nino prediction, we may see warmer water temps closer and maybe tuna closer.
1986 Sea Ranger 17 "Nancy Lyn"-Sold
2020 Yamaha F90
1995 Sea Ranger 19
2023 Tohatsu 140
2020 Yamaha 9.9

wedocq

RB,
The 50 tuna was over one weekend, but 2 separate trips out. The max amount I think I could fit in one trip would be 30. Processing them was a huge job as well. Luckily, I have this:

Markshoreline

The Halloween Monster Canner!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

StreamFixer

So Mark... 

Where are you catching Halloween Monsters?   From what I hear, they put up a reasonable fight, but are really boney.  I'd like to catch a few and try WeDoCQ's canner as you suggested... :whistle:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

redbaronace

Quote from: wedocq on October 31, 2012, 08:57:56 PM
RB,
The 50 tuna was over one weekend, but 2 separate trips out. The max amount I think I could fit in one trip would be 30. Processing them was a huge job as well. Luckily, I have this:

After seeing that photo, im astonished and at the same time concerned for your health. 

It is my opinion that No One should ingest the amount of  Mercury in those loaded Tuna Jars.  While I am not a Dr. I do have a pickup truck.  Please stack the jars in the garage and let me know when and where I can come to load my truck.  :)

wedocq

Sorry RB, you would think this tuna was crack cocaine the way family members come out of the woodwork wanting "their share"! Haha

Fisharima

Tuna killers and other wanna beez just a fish story FYI.  I have fished and caught a few tuna,but I'm only a beginner.A few years back we went out the Golden gate approx 14mi. Toward the Farallons Is. Took some top water skirted lures from Highs tackle and ran them in the chop for a while.nothing doing!  Then saw some fish closer to shore maybe 8 mile offshore, figured they were salmon so rigged up for them with some old herring (ie more than one visit to the freezer and back!) We dropped the lines down to approx 35ft and wind drifted...I got hit by something I could not stop with a  Penn 309 and 30lb test! My fishing partner had the same happen to him about 5min later....I think we found the tuna! Too bad we didn't have the right equipment!, Went home with a good story and learning experience! Geo
Geo

Threeweight

My salmon fishing friends never believe me when I tell them how much stronger a pissed off albacore is than a similar-sized chinook.  More than a few Abu 6500's and Penn 209/309's have suffered an untimely demise due to an encounter with thunnus alalunga.

I'm curious what folks are doing for bleed buckets?  I tried the 5 gallon bucket system this summer, and it resulted in a giant bloody mess in the boat.  I picked up a 20 gallon trash can, but it takes up a ton of room.  Tempted to try using one of the bait wells.

--- Hunter S. Thompson

croaker stroker

i've seen these. Some are mounted to port and stbd bow rail. They are very expensive, but you could make them if you had a source for the tubing.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

woody

Steve

Measure your motor well.  My is about  3' long (port to starboard), and 1' wide fore to aft).  Also have the side space.  Get some PVC or similar (non UV) and see what could be designed for there.  Bet without much trouble you could do something.  Caps on bottom with drain holes drilled.  Brackets to hold.  Put on your cap and get to work. I've got a fair amount of clearance when motor turns ... but won't be using mine for tuna so you have just seen all the energy I'm using. A more conservative "temporary" bait table for access?? Fun project.

Woody

croaker stroker

You could make square ones with starboard.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

wedocq

Croaker,
It's hard to tell, does the blood drain down the tube?