Author Topic: Is anyone using a Raymarine Axiom or Axiom Pro?  (Read 114 times)

Offline HemiGTX

Is anyone using a Raymarine Axiom or Axiom Pro?
« on: October 17, 2018, 04:43:59 PM »
Statement of fact: I need a radar.  And I'm intrigued by The new Raymarine Doppler radar because it depicts approaching hazards in red and everything else in green.  But my current MFDs would need to be upgraded to the new Axiom units in order to run the radar.  So, not a casual purchase.  Does anyone out there have any first-hand experience with the Axioms?  How about the side/down vision feature?  How easy are they to configure/use?

We now live in an era where it's possible to spend $9,000 on an MFD (16" Axiom XL).  Crazy.

AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
Re: Is anyone using a Raymarine Axiom or Axiom Pro?
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 08:49:09 AM »
My Raymarine is not user friendly as you should know since I think we have the same units.  I would look at garmin products for a more intuitive/ user-friendly operating system.

StreamFixer
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

Offline AP

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 09:32:23 AM »
I’ve been in this same debate for years.  I have 14 year old RayMarine electronics, including radar.  I found it really difficult to pull the trigger on completely new equipment, especially when they seem to upgrade their models so often.  I essentially ended up punting and just added a Dragonfly unit which gave me redundancy, modernized fish-finding, and the ability to have an additional screen (or more than one if paired with a phone or iPad).  I’d still like to upgrade my radar but when I do, I think I’m likely to go with one of the standalone radar options that will pair to a mobile device rather than getting something compatible with an overpriced head unit that I really don’t need.  I’m sure I’d love a whole new set of goodies but it seems tough finding the value in some of the mid-high end packages.

Offline OnA

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 10:55:39 AM »
I have the 12" Axiom.  I wanted the sidescan and 3D for finding cool underwater features on which to dive.  It's touch screen, and easy to use in my opinion.  I have a Furuno radar already, so there is no reason to link in a Raymarine radar.  Plus I have redundancy with the separate units ... just in case.

Online Croaker Stroker

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 11:09:43 AM »

While drift fishing in the shipping channel in the fog, motor off, I worry about battery draw with my radar and fishfinder running at the same time.

I wonder how many amps the large vs. small MFD’s and the Furuno Radar actually draw.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 11:36:04 AM »
Drifting in the shipping channel? In the fog? 🤔
2018, Sea Chaser 16, Honda 60HP

Offline HemiGTX

« Reply #6 on: Today at 08:07:12 PM »
I'm heavily invested in Raymarine electronics and have been very happy this far, so I will be getting 9" and 12" Axioms and the Doppler radar.  Ideally, it would just be a matter of unplugging my E series MFDs and plugging in the Axioms. 

But I could never be so lucky.
AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

Online Croaker Stroker

« Reply #7 on: Today at 08:11:58 PM »

Oh dang! I just gave away my secret spot.  :doh:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #8 on: Today at 08:56:33 PM »

Oh dang! I just gave away my secret spot.  :doh:
I was thinking more of a safety issue. Small fishing boat, in the shipping channel with huge, silent cargo ships, in the fog.  :shrug9: Even with radar i’d be on edge. Our shipping lanes can get busy
« Last Edit: Today at 09:06:59 PM by Fisherdv »
2018, Sea Chaser 16, Honda 60HP