News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Recipes

Started by StreamFixer, February 26, 2011, 04:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StreamFixer

Karen ( SFF's Girlfriend ) asked for and here it is.  Please change the subject line to the title of your recipe so it will be easy to find when someone wants it.  

If you try one and find a dandy, please start a new thread for your raves so this one does not get out of hand making it hard for folks to find good ideas.

StreamFixer   :stooges:
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

StreamFixer

Quick Crab Stew

This is for a quick and easy stew.  5-10" prep if you are slow, 5-10" to cook.

Ingredients:

2     tablespoons butter
1     small onion chopped
1     10 1/2 ounce can condensed cream of potato soup.
1     10 1/2 ounce can condensed cream of celery soup
1     soup can of milk
1     soup can of 1/2 and 1/2
1     pound (a big heaping handful) of crab picked free of shell.  Use your Dung or if between Cosco sells in a can at a good price
3/4  cup sherry
      salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

In a large saucepan, melt the butter and saute' the onion until translucent (5 minutes or so).  Add the soups, milk, 1/2 and 1/2.  Add the crabmeat and bring just to a boil.  Add sherry and salt and pepper to taste.  Serve immediately.  Garnish with chopped parsley or green onions and serve with crusty French bread.

Woody
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

StreamFixer

Ok, Enniberg was the first one to put up a recipe on this site,  I moved it here for him (SF).

My wife is a great cook, and this is the dish she created for dinner tonight.

It was so good I thought I just had to share it  :food:

I am not a professional recipe writer, so feel free to ask for clarification, if needed  :biggrin:

Red wine, sweet grape tomato, maple glazed halibut

Ingredients:

1-2 lbs WCVI Halibut
10-15 Sweet grape tomatoes
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 lemon, squeezed
1.5 tbsp brown sugar (Indonesian Coconut Sugar is best. Find it a Asian supermarkets)
1 tbsp soy sauce
10 leaves fresh basil
1/4 cup butter
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 small onion, sliced or chopped
pinch of pepper
1/3 cup red wine
1 tbsp olive oil for the pan

Cooking:

Glaze:
Season the frying pan with olive oil
stir onion and garlic until soft
Add grape tomatoes and basil, cook until soft
Add butter, maple syrup, lemon juice, brown sugar and soy sauce and let simmer while stirring regularly until it thickens.
Add red wine and remove the pan from heat.

Fish:
Coat halibut with olive oil
Sprinkle with paprika and a bit of seasoning salt
Bake at 350F for approximately 15 minutes

Pour glaze on top of fish, and enjoy with good wine or beer of your liking.

Enjoy!

Enniberg
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

StreamFixer

Since Enniberg got the ball rolling on recipes... the worlds BEST recipe for grilled albacore ...

Tuna with Cilantro Basil Rub (AKA 3wt's Thai Tuna)

Bamboo skewers (or other meat skewers of your choice)
3 cloves of minced garlic
3 Tablespoons of red chili paste
2 Tablespoons fresh minced cilantro
2 Tablespoons fresh minced basil
1 Tablespoon fresh grated ginger
1 Tablespoon canola oil
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 tuna loin (approx 3-4 pounds of tuna)

- Combine rub ingredients in a bowl (or large ziplock).  Set aside.
- Cut tuna into smallish (approx 2" x 2" chunks).
- Add tuna into bowl with rub, mix thoroughly so that tuna chunks are coated.  Refrigerate and let sit for 1 hour.
- Take tuna from fridge, mix it again.
- Start the grill, you want it good and hot (I have cheap grill, no thermostat for me so I eyeball it).
- Impale tuna chunks onto skewers, place on the grill.  Watch them closely... if the grill is good and hot, it should take less than 5 minutes per side.

Ideally, the tuna should be just a little bit purple in the middle.

Set cooked tuna aside in a safe place, so it doesn't get consumed before the rest of the meal is served!

Threeweight
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

StreamFixer

ingredients:

Fillet of salmon
Lemon Pepper
Heavy Duty Aluminum foil
Thinly sliced lemon (optional)

Make a bit of a 'tray' of the foil that will keep the fish oils from dripping into the coals (gas).  Don't use a real pan or cookie sheet as it will really mess with the cooking and be just another thing to wash later.

Lay out your fillet, skin side down, onto the aluminum tray you made. 

Sprinkle well with lemon pepper (you will adjust as you do more fillets, but don't be hesitant to sprinkle it on)  I cover the whole fillet well, but not 'thick'. 

If you want to have a nice presentation, add thin slices of lemon over the lemon pepper.  I've never been able to taste any difference but it does enhance the appearance.  At our house, the "eating" is usually more important than the "look".

Place tray/fish onto hot grill  (medium low gas flame or robust bed of coals)

If you are using gas, add 1/4 cup of water into the foil, otherwise it will burn the skin and dry the edges.  Never had that happen using coals (no water), and I have no idea why.

15 to 20 minutes, check thickest portion with a fork to see if cooked through, i.e. no translucent meat.  If not, leave it on until it is done (checking every 5 minutes or so).

When done, remove onto a serving tray and let rest for 10 minutes or so if you can keep folks away from it that long.

I have cooked up to 12 lb fillets this way with great success.  Of course you need to allow for the extra thickness.  I usually make a single long centered lateral slice, about half the depth of the fillet, on a thick one.  Seems to be all that is needed.

When the folks sharing in this culinary delight ask for the recipe, look mysterious, and mutter something about a secret method handed down through the generations.  Tell them you think it originated in the old country (are you listening Johan??)

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Kimbrey

How to cook the best steak:
Ingredients:
--Steak, cut of your choice.  I prefer New York, wife likes Fillet.
--A high smoke point oil. I use "light" olive oil but I'm sure there are others with higher smoke points.
--Sea or Kosher salt
--Your preferred spices or rub.  I keep it simple and just use garlic and pepper with the salt.
--A pad of butter for each steak

Method:
--Turn your oven as high as you can get it.  Toss in a cast iron skillet for 15 minutes or longer to get it hot, hot, hot.
--Make sure the steaks are at room temperature
--Paint the steaks with the oil
--Rub the mixture of salt and spices onto the steak.  Don't get them too salty.
--Pull the pan out of the oven wearing a special heat glove or a welding mitt and put it on a burner that is as hot as it will go, let it soak up more heat if possible.
--Slap the steak or steaks in the pan.  DON'T TOUCH FOR TWO MINUTES even if you think you are burning the steak.  After two minutes with tongs flip the steak over and sear the other side for two minutes.
--Put the pad of butter on top of the steaks and pop back into the oven to cook to however you like it (rare, medium, medium well...etc.).  I use a meat thermometer but some people are good by feel.  If using a meat thermometer pull the steak out of the oven about 5 degrees before the point you want to take it.  It will continue cooking.
--Remove from oven and let it "rest" for five minutes.
ENJOY!!!
This should be as good as restaurants such as Daniels in Seattle & Bellevue or the Met in Seattle (we prefer Daniels).

One other tip--open your windows and have your hood fan on high as it gets smoky.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

Threeweight

Here's one of my favorite halibut recipes...

You will need:
Halibut (I usually make about 1-2 pounds at a time)
Old Bay seasoning
Panko breading
A couple of eggs
Parmesan cheese (flakes, not powder)
Lemon juice
A couple of deep bowls
A cookie sheet or pyrex dish lined with foil (oil the foil before using).

Instructions

1.  Cut halibut into 3" long, 1" thick strips.
2.  In a deep bowl or tray, mix panko breading with a few shakes of Old Bay seasoning (increase Old Bay if you like it a little spicier).
3.  Crack a couple of eggs and put the whites in another deep bowl, discard yolks
4.  Roll halibut strips in the egg white, then roll in panko breading, then place on sheet (close together).  You will need to mix the panko occasionally with a spoon to keep the Old Bay from settling to the bottom.
5.  Once all the halibut is on the sheet, place in oven and bake at 350 or so for approx 15-20 minutes (until panko is just starting to brown).
6.  Remove from oven, sprinkle parmesan cheese over the halibut, then place back in the oven for another 5-10 minutes (until cheese is melted and top of the panko is brown)
7.  Remove from oven, place on serving tray, drizzle with a little lemon juice.  Enjoy!

My temp and cooking time directions are not too precise... need to be careful with whatever oven you are using to make sure the fish does not overcook and dry out.  Keep an eye on it!
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Marine40

Super easy quiche and very filling!

Pastry for 9" pie plate (not deep dish)

1 cup of shredded swiss cheese
1/3 cup of finely chopped onion
4 eggs
2 cups of half and half
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne
10 oz of crab meat

Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 300 degrees for an additional 30 minutes. Allow time for quiche to set up.
Have -15' Hunter, Had - 2 each 17' Rangers, Had - 1 each 17 Skip Chaser, Had - 1 each 19' Skip Chaser, Have - 21' Skip Ranger.

Marine40

This one is super easy and does not cover up the taste of the salmon as a marinade!

1 fillet of salmon or steelhead (3-6 servings) or 4-6 steaks
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 lemon, sliced
1/2 cup of fresh herbs (basil, sage, lemon balm, and or parsley)
lemon pepper to taste
salt to taste

Remove skin from fish fillet if desired. Place fish fillet or steaks in a gallon-size zip-lock bag. Add the remaining ingredients to the bag, placing evenly over the fish. Seal the bag. Keep refrigerated until cooking time. Turn over the bag every 10-15 minutes depending on the marinating time. Marinate up to 1 hour.

I place onions and lemons on the top of the salmon... when grilling in foil on the bbq.

Have -15' Hunter, Had - 2 each 17' Rangers, Had - 1 each 17 Skip Chaser, Had - 1 each 19' Skip Chaser, Have - 21' Skip Ranger.

woody

Crab Cakes

1      pound crab meat
2      egg whites, beaten
1/2   cup bread crumbs
1      teaspoon Worchester sauce
1      tablespoon parsley, chopped
1      tablespoon baking powder
1      tablespoon lite mayonnaise
1      teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
Vegetable cooking spray
1. Mix all ingredients, shape into 4 cakes.
2. Spray nonstick pan with vegetable cooking spray.
3. Cook each side over medium heat until golden brown.

4 servings.

Woody

BigMac

Easy and quick halibut (or other white fish) recipe

This works particularly well for the thinner, tail end pieces from smaller fish (the ones that tend to dry out when grilling or frying), but I don't see why thicker pieces wouldn't be OK.

Rinse and dry several halibut fillets.
Lay them out flat in a rectangular pyrex baking dish overlapping if necessary.
Lightly salt (the cream of mushroom soup to be added later is somewhat salty so you don't need much, if any), add pepper and/or your favorite seasoning (s).
Pour the contents of a standard size can of cream of mushroom soup over the fish and spread out with a spatula so that all the fish is covered.
Sprinkle chopped celery and green onions, thin slices of yellow onion, and pieces of mushroom to cover the top (amount is not critical and not necessary to use all ingredients listed).
Sprinkle grated cheese (I like sharp cheddar, but whatever suits your fancy.) to cover it all.

Bake in an oven preheated to 425 degrees for about 12-15 minutes or until the fish flakes.  If you want to brown the layer of cheese, broil for the last 2-3 minutes.

The mixture of mushroom soup and the added ingredients, along with the cooking fish juices makes a very tasty gravy, so serve mashed potatoes as a side dish.

My thanks to Darlene, wife of a fishing buddy, for giving me her recipe.

Dave

Marine40

1 fillet (3-6 servings)

Smokey Rub:
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon salt
1 alder plank

Smoked-fish lovers will delight in this subtle, smokey recipe. Leftovers, if there are any, work well in salads or casseroles.

Directions:

Thoroughly mix all ingredients in shallow bowl. Lay fish fillet, skin side down, on a plate. Lightly score fish if thicker than 1". Gently but firmly rub ingredients into the fish fillet. Work slowly...if the fish is skinned rub both sides.

Cook immediately or for fuller flavor let the fillet marinate, cover up to 12 hours in frig. Soak plank for 1 hour- dry the plank in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes or place in the middle of the grill that has been preheated to high heat for 5 minutes.

Rub both side of the plank with olive oil. Place fillet, skin side down on the plank. Place on hot grill and turn gas to medium.

Cook 10 minutes trying not to lift the lid, after 10 minutes, turn the gas grill to low heat for an additional 10-15 minutes depending on thickness, serve from plank

Marine40

The base for this chowder is that you can use any kind of fish that has some taste. I grew up with Haddock (I thought that had taste) but Halibut would work for the West Coasters too. Salmon is what I prefer...

2 cups of cooked flaked salmon (just happen to have just a few pieces in the freezer)
1 pound bacon
1 cup of diced ham
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup of flour
6 cups of potatoes, peeled and diced
6 cups of Milk
Butter...but of course
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons of fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
Bacon bits (bacon ground up not the stuff in the bottle please)

Flake fish into small flakes removing all bones
Cut bacon into 1 inch squares- fry until crisp
Remove bacon and place on paper towel to drain
Use bacon grease and add onions (medium heat until onions are translucent)

Add garlic and diced potatoes into the pan. Sprinkle flour into pan, constantly stirring. Cook until potatoes are soft. If needed...why yes...add the butter to keep everything from sticking.

Mix into skillet the diced ham, fish, and cooked bacon (save a bit of the bacon for the garnish)

Add milk and cook 5-10 minutes continually stirring.

Salt and pepper to taste.

I usually serve this with homemade yeast rolls....ask SF how they are....

Marine40

1 fillet of Halibut (6-8 servings) or halibut cheeks

Pistachio Herb Butter- recipe below

Salt and Pepper to taste

1 Lemon

Pistachio Herb Butter
1/2 cup of butter, softened
1/4 cup pistachios
1 clove garlic
2 tablespoons of shallots chopped
2 teaspoons of fresh parsley
2 teaspoons of fresh basil
1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 ounce minced fresh shallots
1 drop of liquid smoke, optional

Cut fillet servings portions if desired. Butter and season both sides of fish, place on broiler at medium heat. Grill until 125 degrees. Baste liberally with butter 2-3 times while broiling. Squeeze lemon wedge over fish before serving. Garnish with lemon wedge and rosemary/thyme

Pistachio Herb Butter- combine all ingredients in a food processor or mini chopper- Refrig until you use it and bring to room temperature before spreading on fish.

Enjoy....

Threeweight

Tried a new TUNA! recipe last night... was great so I thought I'd share!  Recipe is for a giant family-sized batch. I cut the ingredients way way back for the couple of steaks I made.

Pineapple Tuna

1 Can of Crushed Pinapple in Syrup (I used fresh pineapple from Costco, grated enough for two tablespoons full, diced another tablespoon full, and used all the juice in the marinate)
1 Bottle of soy sauce (I used a couple tablespoons)
2-3 Tablespoon of fresh fine graded ginger w/juice (I used 1 tablespoon)
1/2 cup olive oil (I used about a teaspoon)
3/4 cup brown sugar (I skipped this, the pineapple was plenty sweet)
1-2 tablespoons of crushed black pepper (I used 1 teaspoon)
2-3 tablespoons of Garlic Chili Sauce (1 teaspoon)
6 - 7 cloves of fresh garlic (one clove)

Mix in blender.

Marinate Albacore overnight (I did mine for 45 minutes, longer is better).

Get grill good and hot, sear 2-3 minutes to a side.  Ideally, you want it just a tiny bit purple (raw) in the middle.  Enjoy!

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Vancouvertechie

Salmon Recipe,

Here is our favorite.

1 bottle of thick Teriyaki sauce (needs to be thick and not runny)
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp of Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp of Whiskey (Canadian works)
2 Tbsp of Maple syrup

Mix all together and let sit in a bowl for at least a couple of hours.

Soak a cedar wood plank for an hour or two.

I usually cut my salmon in 2 inch strips from top to bottom.  After a couple of hours put in a 6x9 dish and pour sauce over each piece.  Let it sit for an hour.

Warm up the BBQ to 350-400 degrees and move the salmon to the soaked cedar plank.

I will baste the salmon again when they have been on the grill for 15 minutes.  The fish is done when you see the white stuff oozing out. 

Serve on the cedar plank. 

VT

2003 15' SeaHunter 50HP Suzuki (FI4Strk)
1991 16' SeaChaser 50HP Johnson (Keith)
1995 19' SeaRanger 115 Yamaha (FI4Strk)
1992 Zodiac Hurricane Honda 135HP
1987 44' Tollycraft Motoryacht

woody

I've held off with this one because it involves "innards" But excellent results, like you get in San Fran and some thing you will love after the initial trial.

Ingredients:

2      Whole Crabs (or more depending on guest list).  This is a S.F. restaurant receipe, scaled down.

Crab Butter
Crab innards (can be optional) I use for me.
  1/2 cup white wine
2      Tble spoons olive oil
1       Chopped medium shallot
    1/2 Sprig rosemary (chopped)
1        Sprig thyme, leaves, chopped
2        Tble spoons Szechwan peppercorns
    1/2 cup canola oil
1        Tble spoon garlic salt
8-10 garlic cloves, roasted and pureed
Chopped parsley for garnish

Directions:

Crabs

Use the cooked crabs you just caught, after opening head, saving innards and washing.

Crab innards

In a blender add innards, 1/4 cup white wineblend on pulse, strain and save.

In a pot, medium heat, add olive oil, shallots, rosemary, thyme and peppercorns.  Cook until lightly brown, 5 minutes? Deglaze with 1/4 - 1/2 cup of wine.  Add the blended crab innards, the canola oil and the garlic salt.  Simmer 10 minutes. Skim the top, remove from heat, cool for a few minutes.  Strain thriugh a sieve or cheesecloth.  Wisk in the garlic puree and let rest.

Place the 2 crabs in a large oven proofd skillet, ladel the crab butter over (be very generous) and bake 15 - 20 ninutes.  Set crabs on serving dish, sprinkle with garlic salt, put the empty head shells back on, brush with olive oil to shine and sprinkle with chopped parsley.

Like I say, out of S.F. restaurant down sized. 

Woody

Threeweight

Korean BBQ Tuna!

My wife and I decided to try substituting Tuna! for the usual thinly-sliced beef, or chicken, used in bulgogi (the BBQ served at Korean restaurants, usually grilled at your table over a gas flame).  It turned out great!  Here's what we did...

Approx. 1 pound of Tuna! loin, cut into 1" thick medallions
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon rice wine
2 finely minced garlic cloves
¼ t. super finely minced fresh ginger
2 finely chopped green onions (including white parts)
a dash of pepper
a dash of red pepper flakes (for some spice, skip if you don't want it)

First, in a glass bowl, combine the above ingredients and mix thoroughly.  Add Tuna! medallions (thawed), then put in fridge for 30 minutes to an hour, stirring occasionally.

Fire up the grill and get it good and hot.  I run my grill about 3/4 of the way to "high" heat.  Take tuna outside and place medallions on the grill and sear them for approximately 2-3 minutes.  Flip, then spoon a little of the garlic/green onion mix on top.  Sear again for another 2-3 minutes.  Do not overcook!  Test a piece with a fork... you want a firm brown texture on the outside, flaky and juicy on the inside.

Serve with sticky white rice, a stir fry, and sesame toasted gim (seaweed toasted with sea salt and sesame, you can buy it in asian grocery stores). 

--- Hunter S. Thompson

Threeweight

This recipe is not for the faint of heart (or those on a diet!)

Tuna Bombs!

Ingredients:

Albacore loin (top loin, not belly) cut into 1-2" thick medallions
Bacon of your choice (the key is not too thick, prosciutto works great)
Minced garlic
Fresh ground black pepper
Old Bay seasoning
Olive oil
Canola oil (to grease pan)
Toothpicks

Make sure tuna is thoroughly thawed.  Mix a teaspoon or two of minced garlic and ground black pepper with a teaspoon of olive oil, set aside.  Lightly grease broiler pan, or pyrex bowl, with canola oil.

Put tuna medallions on flat side down on cutting board, then wrap in bacon.  Use toothpick to pin bacon in place.  Put tuna in broiler pan, then coat the top of with garlic/olive oil/pepper mix.  Sprinkle Old Bay on top to taste.

Set oven to "broil" and let it get good and hot.  Check the placement of your racks in the oven... you want the tuna to be about 4" from the flame/heating element. Put tuna in the oven and let it broil for about 5 minutes.  Pull it out, flip it in the broiler pan, and apply the rest of the garlic/pepper mix.  Place back in oven.  Let it broil another 5 minutes... pull it out and flake w/ fork to check.  Should have just a slight purple color left in the middle.  Do not overcook, or it will dry out.

Enjoy!

Caution... if you have a dog in the house you WILL have an assistant with this process!

--- Hunter S. Thompson

Threeweight

Healthy (and fast) Tuna! lunch wraps.

Ingredients:

1 - 1/2 pint jar of home-canned Tuna! (store-bought stuff will do in a pinch  :wink: )
1/2 a carrot, chopped into small chunks (or grated)
1 teaspoon of feta cheese
1 tablespoon of diced greek olives
2 teaspoons of vinaigrette salad dressing (Newman's Own is my favorite)
Ground pepper
Basil flakes

1 small cucumber, sliced into strips
approx 2 cups of spring mix salad
2 whole wheat tortillas/sandwich wraps

In a bowl, combine chunked Tuna!, carrot, crumbled feta, olives, and dressing, and mix thoroughly.  Season w/ pepper and basil to taste.  Heat tortillas in the microwave for 10-20 seconds to make them flexible.  Cut cucumbers unto strips, then put cucumbers and salad into the wrap.  Spoon in the Tuna! combination, fold the wraps, and enjoy!  Tastes great, and makes a great lunch.  Can mix it up by adding some dried cranberries, sliced apples, etc...

--- Hunter S. Thompson

Tunacious

This what we call a "Salmon Ball"
It is really great to make for special holidays or any other time.

2 cups of smoked salmon
8 oz of cream cheese
2 Tablespoon grated onion
1 teaspoon horse radish
3 tablespoon of parsley flakes
Blend well
Mix all with a fork and shape into a round ball.
Roll in chopped Walnuts and wrap in plastic wrap.
Use salmon ball to put on crackers.

When I am smoking salmon I smoke enough salmon to fill 16 pints (one canner full).  I smoke it at about 180 degrees for three hours and then take
it out of the smoker and peel the skin off and place into jars.  (about 4 fish the size of a 10 lb steelhead will fill a canner).
I can the smoked salmon and use it to make the above salmon balls.
You can also use any other smoked fish.

So.Cali

Salmon marinade. Works good on trout too!

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup teriyaki, soy, or hoisin sauce (take your pick)
2 oz. Pineapple juice
1 shot bourbon whiskey (jack or Jim preferred) use two shots for a bigger kick. I usually use Two shots, one for me and one for the marinade!
One clove minced garlic
Add some lemon zest for flare (optional)

Let your fish sit in marinade for a minimum of an hour, sprinkle a little white pepper, and a touch of salt, then grill, smoke, or sear your fish. . . It's not bad.

woody

Since we just scored on some Sturgeon I thought these might be of help to fellow members.

Batter Fried Sturgeon in Canola Oil

8   cups unbleached flour
2   tsp. salt
1   tsp. black pepper
2   tsp baking powder
4   large eggs
1   qt skim milk

Combine dry ingredients in large bowl.  Mix eggs and milk with 2 cups of dry batter in separate bowl (consistency of very thin pancake mix). Cross cut sturgeon fillet in 1/2 inch strips. Dip in  batter, then dry mix, repeating to produce a thick crunchy batter.

Cook to a light golden brown in hot canola or oil of choice.  Do not cook in lard.  Serve with a good red or tarter sauce as a dip. Oven brown tater tots, salad.

Baked Sturgeon

1   filet of a 42-46 inch sturgeon, cleaned of red and yellow (fat).
1   real cup mayonnaise
1   cup ranch dressing (this is necessary)
1   cup brown sugar.
1   large onion cut into rings
2   large lemons sliced into discs
2   large limes sliced into disks
Aluminum foil
2 cubes sweet butter, room temp for spreadability
Course brown pepper
Garlic powder
Table salt

Cut sturgeon into 2 or 3 inch steaks. place in foil with enough to fold over and seal.
Generously season with garlic, salt and pepper. Spread butter generously on top of steaks, place onions, lemon and lime slices on top. Cover with heavy topping of mayonnaise and ranch dressing, pack foil wrapped fish in a large covered roaster.
Place in preheated over, bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until flake with fork.  DO NOT over cook.  Overcooking sturgeon makes it tough.

Stuffed Sturgeon

Filet of sturgeon, clean of all red and yellow.  Cross cut in one or two inch steaks.  Split steaks to form a pocket. 

Stuffing

1/2   cup real mayonnaise
1/2   cup grated cheese of your choice
1/2   teaspoon cream of tartar
2      cloves garlic pressed
1/3   cup grated red onion
1/4 lb. crab meat (caught last winter, freeze vacuum packed) or store bought
1/4 lb. shrimp meat

Combine stuffing ingredients in bowl, season with salt and pepper to taste.  Mix by hand to uniform mixture.\\Generously stuff the sturgeon pockets to form a slight bulging dome. Grade another 1/2 cup of cheese and sprinkle on top.  Wrap each pocket in tin foil, open on top.  Bake at 350 or on bar-b-que for 12 to 14 minutes.

Sturgeon Chowder (sorry, fish, crab, any chowders turn me on).

Trim all sturgeon of fat (yellow) and red.  Sturgeon should never be over cooked, onluy until white throughout.  Other wise very tough.

1   heavy 8 qt stainless or aluminum kettle
1   or more lbs cubed trimmed sturgeon
3   medium white potatoes pealed
3   celery stocks diced
4   large carrots, course grated
1   large white onion iced
1   bundle green onions chopped
2   cans evaporated condensed milk
Juice of one lemon
1   tsp salt
1   tsp course ground pepper
1/4 cup white flour
2    cubes (1/2 pound) creamery butter

Potatoes, celery and onion in kettle, cover with water, bring to a boil (keep covered throughout whole process). Reduce medium heat, for an additional 20-30 minutes until potatoes are done, but firm.  Add carrots, salt pepper. Reduce heat to low/mediun until carrots are done (firm) before adding sturgeon cubes.  Stir occassionally chowder during process.  Add milk, green onion, lemon juice and butter.  Mix flour and water to smooth paste (more flour the thicker).  Slowly stir in the paste, stir until thicken.  Soda crackers..

To Clarify: You add the sturgeon cubes after the carrots are done.  Then proceed with milk, onion, juices and butter.
                   When fish is cooked (white) add thickener. Since cooking depends of temp, I do cook hot, taste and nibble until I'm happy.
                   Nice and white. Chowders are a bit more forgiving.

Woody

Threeweight

Smoked albacore Tuna! -- better than bacon!

Have been canning Tuna! for the last few days, but my canner is small so I was a little worried about how long some of my loins would be on ice.  So I decided to try smoking a few... they are fantastic!  Here's the recipe I used to smoke about  10 pounds of belly loins -- use the bellies, the top loins tend to be drier and less oily, which will make them tough when smoked.

Brine

1 gallon of water
1 1/2 cups of pickling salt
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
2 tablespoons of minced garlic

Mix all the brining ingredients thoroughly.  Cut the loins into strips about 1-2" thick, and 4-6" long, clean off any scales, veins, gristle, etc...  Add to brine and let soak for 1/2 hour to an hour (Tuna! absorb brine/marinate MUCH faster than salmon, so be careful you don't brine them too long).

Remove from brine, lightly rinse with tap water, pat dry (very important not to let Tuna! sit in fresh water), then set aside.  For some spice, sprinkle some fresh ground pepper over some of the chunks.  Let them sit for 1/2 an hour to an hour and form a pellicle (slightly tacky/oily coat to absorb smoke).  Then place on racks and put in the smoker. 

Here's where you have some options.  I have a Little Chief smoker, and it only heats to about 160-170 degrees.  I smoked my Tuna! for about 3 hours (2 pans of alder chips).  When I removed them, they were still very moist and a little raw on the inside.  Next, I put them onto cookie sheets (wax paper underneath) and placed them in the oven at 275 degrees for 1.5 hours to complete the cooking/drying process.  I could have done the whole cycle in the smoker, but it would have taken 5-6 hours.

If you have a nicer smoker, you can skip the oven part and just smoke at 275 degrees.  Check them periodically.  They should be cooked through, slightly brown on the outside, and flake easily.  Best guess is 2-3 hours. 

The finish product will look something like this:

I love smoked salmon, but I now think smoked albacore blows it away!

WARNING -- the Tuna! will produce a lot of oil, so be ready for it on clean up.  The cookie sheets were no problem for me, just soaked them in very hot water for 10 minutes and the oil came right off.

--- Hunter S. Thompson

StreamFixer

Quote from: Threeweight on August 12, 2012, 04:25:34 PM
  Let them sit for 1/2 an hour to an hour and form a pellicle (slightly tacky/oily coat to absorb smoke).  Then place on racks and put in the smoker. 

Another option will be to 'blow dry' the meat before smoking.  I use a Big Chief front loader smoker.  After the salmon racks are loaded, I run a box fan on the meat for about 4 hours before closing up and beginning the smoking process.  This forms a nice "pellicle" on the meat, preserving the moist end product.  I cannot imaging smoking tuna this way would produce a different result.

Anyone volunteering a batch of bellies for me to try, split say 50/50?   :shrug9:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade