News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Recipes

Started by StreamFixer, February 26, 2011, 04:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allpauwork

There are many variations of this but I like quick and simple.

Stir fry diced onions and whatever peppers you like.  Add chunks of meat such as leftover steak, sausages, etc.  Add day old rice, then add kim chee.  Stir and flip the heck out of it.  Add more kim chee juice from the bottle then add eggs (how ever many you want) and scramble everything together. 

I don't do fancy presentations.  I make what I call "pile it on" cooking.

Health nuts ignore this.

Hydro-Therapy

Kimbrey A simple brine I have used for years :  Sweet Smokey and not salty

2 lbs brown sugar
2 table spoons kosher salt
4 table spoons course black pepper

mix ingredients together. put a layer of fish in bowl cover with sugar mixture ,then another layer of fish and mixture until you have used all the mixture and fish. Put in cool place for 24 hrs.It will make its own brine.
Stain fish in a colander for 30 min. Do not rinse or scrap off excess!!! By not rinsing the brown sugar will leave a glaze on the fish and allow the black pepper to stick . Then into the little chief smoker for 12 to 24 hr depending on outside temperatures. Adding fresh chips ever 4 or 5 hrs.

H-T  
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

croaker stroker

I like this one...

http://www.salmonuniversity.com/rs_htss01_index.html

I reduce the salt by about 25%.  Works good for Tuna! As well.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

SekiuSaba

Kim,

The smoked fish you had comes from a recipe similar to the one Croaker linked at Salmon University I don't use garlic though.

2 cups Brown Sugar
1/2 cup non-iodized salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cream of tarter

I cut the salmon into 2" wide pieces before rubbing the mixture onto the fish.  (see Salmon U directions)

Allow the mixture to sit on the fish overnight in the refrigerator.  In the morning after washing and air drying the fish I poke some small holes into the salmon with a fork.  I warm honey in the microwave until it is the runny consistency and brush it on each piece.

Smoking time varies between 4-8 hrs depending on the outside temperature (Little Chief Smoker)  I use one pan of Apple chips and then finish with another pan (or two) of alder chips.

17' SC Skip Tower - 90 & 8 Honda

croaker stroker

Quote from: StreamFixer on August 18, 2012, 10:09:21 PM
Quote from: Threeweight on August 12, 2012, 04:25:34 PM
 Let them sit for 1/2 an hour to an hour and form a pellicle (slightly tacky/oily coat to absorb smoke).  Then place on racks and put in the smoker.  

Another option will be to 'blow dry' the meat before smoking.  I use a Big Chief front loader smoker.  After the salmon racks are loaded, I run a box fan on the meat for about 4 hours before closing up and beginning the smoking process.  This forms a nice "pellicle" on the meat, preserving the moist end product.  I cannot imaging smoking tuna this way would produce a different result.

Anyone volunteering a batch of bellies for me to try, split say 50/50?   :shrug9:

StreamFixer

Streamfixer made me swear under oath not to divulge his secret.  But, since he has spilled his guts, I can attest to the success of the Box Fan on both Salmon and Tuna!  I run the fan until the meat is dry (tacky) to the touch.

One of my little tricks....I slip the Little Chef Carton over the smoker to insulate and hold the heat in.  Back in the '70's the instructions that came with the smoker said to do that. There was even a perforated opening in the carton to slip the pan into the smoker.  They probably omit that today due to liability/fire hazard.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

StreamFixer

Fantastic Turkey recipe.  Followed all except tucking leaves under skin. 

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/chicken_turkey_duck/ultimate_smoked_turkey.html

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

StreamFixer

Pistachio-Crusted Halibut with Fennel Balsamic Gastrique   

Recipe Type: Main, Fish
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 45 mins
Serves: 4
This recipe is Paleo and SCD-friendly.
Ingredients
~~ For the Pistachio-Crusted Halibut ~~
4 portions (total about 1-1/2 pounds) wild Pacific Halibut fillet, skinned
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 cup (125 grams) raw pistachios, crushed with a mortar and pestle
1 teaspoon sea salt
~~ For garnish ~~
1 cup grape tomatoes
1 cup fennel, thinly sliced
1 shallot, thinly sliced
olive oil and sea salt
star apple (or carambola), thinly sliced

~~ For the Fennel Balsamic Gastrique ~~
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup fennel, thinly sliced and divided into two portions
1 tablespoon Pernod (optional)
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, moderate to good quality
1 tablespoon raw honey

Preparation
To prepare the fish, wash the fillets and dry with paper towel.
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
Put fish in a baking dish and rub the fillets with salt. Pour the olive oil and vinegar mixture on to the fish and marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, or up to 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 400 F (205 C).
Remove fish from the refrigerator and press the crushed pistachios on top of the skin side of each halibut fillet to create a crust.
Place your baking dish or pan in the oven and bake for 8 minutes. Do not overcook.
Place the sliced fennel and grape tomatoes in another baking dish, season with a little salt, and drizzle with olive oil. Roast on 400 F for 15 minutes or until golden on the edges and soft. Set aside.
In a small frying pan, heat oil over medium high. Fry shallots until golden brown and crispy. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
To make the gastrique, heat olive oil in a sauce pan over medium. Add 1/4 cup of fennel and cook until translucent and soft, about 5 minutes. Discard the fennel.
Increase the heat to medium-high and add a tablespoon of Pernod, if using, and reduce for 1 to 2 minutes or until the liquid reduces to half the amount.
Add the balsamic vinegar and honey and bring to a boil. Reduce liquid by half. Keep an eye on the pan as the mixture can boil over quickly. To prevent this, immediately reduce the heat to low or remove the pan from heat source to avoid burning. Set aside.
To assemble, place one fish on a plate, garnish with the roasted tomatoes and fennel. Top the fennel with fried shallot.
Drizzle with fennel balsamic gastrique.
Serve with slices of star apple.

Going to give this one a try, but not at our Neah Bay outing   :wink:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Full-Pull

Here's a very simple, nearly foolproof recipe for salmon over charcoal.
We call it "Old-School Salmon" around our house...cooking salmon this way makes me want to don a Bing-Crosby cardigan and pork-pie hat.
Just feels like how they would do it Back In The Day.

The light smoke really lets the flavor shine through.
We keep it simple; serve with rice and tossed green salad.
This one drive guests CRAZY, especially non-PNW natives...

-- Salmon Filet(s). I prefer to portion them in 1 - 2 serving chunks (3" - 6" wide, depending on fish size).
-- Salt & Pepper. Fresh-ground if possible.
-- Old Bay Seasoning (just a TINY dusting, a little goes a long way).
-- Olive Oil
-- Alder wood chips

1)  Fire up charcoal grill. I like it pretty hot, to quickly sear the fish.
2)  Rinse filets in cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
3)  Sprinkle fish with salt, pepper, and a LIGHT dusting of Old Bay (Old Bay optional, depending on personal preference).
4)  Coat seasoned fish with olive oil, and let sit skin-down on cookie sheet for 5-10 minutes.
5)  When coals & grill are good & hot, drop the fish flesh-side down (i.e. skin-up).
6)  Toss a small handful of alder chips on the hot coals and put the lid on the grill. My Weber has a super-handly hinged panel on the grill, so adding chips is pretty easy. OPTION: Lift the grill and toss the chips BEFORE you drop the fish. Be careful not to burn yourself!
7) Grill for 4-6 minutes (depending on thickness of fish), then coat skin with olive oil (I use a mist-sprayer, basting brush works too) and flip the fish skin-down.
8)  Grill for another 4-6 minutes then remove from grill and let stand for a few minutes. Doneness checks: clear juices, bubbling white fat, fork-test for ease of flaking. Please honor the fish-gods and DON'T over-cook it! It will continue to cook a bit while resting.
9)  Watch fish disappear!

Give it a shot...then tell me that ain't GOOOOOD!

'91 Sea Ranger 19HT
'05 Merc 115 EFI FourStroke - Main
'90s Honda BF-8A - Kicker

croaker stroker

This is just like pumpkin pie.....only different.   :biggrin:

Sweet potato pie

Prep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling Yield: 8 Servings

Ingredients
2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
3/4 cup marshmallow creme
1/2 cup butter, cubed
1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
1/2 cup whipping topping

Directions
Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain potatoes and place in large bowl; mash. Add marshmallow creme and butter; beat until smooth. Beat in the milk, eggs and extracts.
Combine the sugars, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg; gradually beat into potato mixture and mix well. Pour into pie shell.
Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Serve with whipped topping. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

croaker stroker

Easy fish recipe....

Special fish soy sauce (see label)
Fresh ginger
Green onions
Garlic salt
Aluminum foil

Seal up foil and grill on the upper rack for 10 to 13 min.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Threeweight

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Chasin Baitman

Looks awesome! I will definitely try that. In a pinch Sarayo is a delicious premade sauce akin to the recipe's.
2011 19' Sea Ranger, 2011 Suzuki DF115, 2011 Honda 8 kicker

"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

croaker stroker

You know they closed down the Sriracha factory. Made the neighbors eyes burn. Better stock up in case they don't re-open soon.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Sriracha-Factory-Irwindale-City-Council.html

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

croaker stroker

CROAKER'S BLOODY MARY MIX.

46OZ CAN TOMATO JUICE
14OZ CAN BEEF BULLION
1-1/2 TBS SRIRACHA HOT CHILI SAUCE
4 TBS WORCHESTERSHIRE SAUCE
DASH FRESH GROUND PEPPER
DASH LAWERY'S SEASONING SALT
SQUEEZE ½ FRESH LEMON OR LIME
¼ TSP CELERY SEED

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Salmon King

Salmon...It's what's for dinner.

Now the story behind it...
We had a few unexpected guests drop by this evening (very unusual for us) and the wife decided to invite them to stay for dinner. 
Only thing is...we had planned to go for Pizza instead of cooking (you know...football and all).
Anyway they happily accepted and now it's like..........What are we going to make for dinner?
Well I had the bright idea of whipping up a quick but pleasant dinner on the condition that everyone stay the hell out of the kitchen until it was done.
Here's what I came up with!

The result is that I cooked up what turned out to be a fantastic Salmon dinner.
Now the ingredients:
Wild Silver Salmon fillet portions sprinkled with Old Bay and Pepper,  then covered with a homemade sauce of;
1 tablespoon each of Melted Butter (REAL BUTTER not that Margarine crap), Mayo, (REAL Not Miracle Whip), Ranch Dressing (not the diet stuff either), and a squeeze of Fresh Lime Juice.  Combine all of the ingredients and spoon over the Salmon.
Baked uncovered at 350 for 20 min.

For Veggies I stir fried Chopped Garden Fresh Cabbage, Cilantro, Coarsely Chopped Onion, a couple of shakes of Crushed Red Pepper, and 2 Cloves of Spicy Russian Garlic until just starting to Caramelize.
I chose to serve with White Rice rather than Garden fresh Potatoes (we didn't have enough left for a serving for 8).
Once placed on the plate I topped each portion of Salmon with a generous spoon of  Pico De Gayo (Homemade with ingredients from my garden of course).
I also topped the rice with a tsp of Butter and a twist of Pepper.

Our guests raved at the results and I have to admit I even surprised myself with the fantastic mix of tastes that assulted my taste buds!

Just wanted to share...Hope you try it and tell me what you think.

Disclaimer:  I have tried a similar recipe on the Salmon using Sour Cream and you really need to be careful on the amount you use as it quickly overpowers the Salmon.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

StreamFixer

I thought it would be fun to share some of our favorite receipes.

I want to share a crab recipe my mom has made since I was a little kid.

We call it BBQ Crab
3 quarts of V8 juice (I use the spicy kind)
3 large cans of tomatoe sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 large onions (chopped fine)
2 green peppers (chopped fine)
6 stalks of celery (chopped fine)
Garlic powder to taste

Combine all ingredients in a large pot.
Split crabs into halves
Crack each leg section so sauce can enter the crab shell
Let simmer for several hours.

Is even better the next day

Moved with Tunacious's permission

'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Greenbank

Here is one of my favorites I like to do when entertaining about ten guests.

New Orleans/Northwest Crab Boil

10 Dungeness Crabs  - cleaned and halved
10 cobs of corn - halved
30 New Potatoes - halved
2 lbs. Andouille Sausage - pre cooked and cut into pieces about 1-2" long
2 lbs. Shrimp - deveined
1 package of Slap Ya Mama seasoning - order online

This is a two part process. Add water to your crab boil pot as you normally would boil crab. Then add between half to 3/4 of a bag of the Slap Ya Mama seasoning. The more you add, the hotter the recipe.

After the water has come to a rolling boil, just add the crab, cover and let boil for ten minutes. Remove the crab and immediately put on ice. Next, add the potatoes and corn, cover and set your timer for ten minutes. After six minutes, add the shrimp and Andouille Sausage for the final four minutes. Strain and serve onto a picnic table or into large bowls. Make sure to have plenty of beer and some chilled white wine and enjoy.
2019 Cutwater C28

Greenbank

Garlic Smoked Oysters

Very simple recipe that produces amazing results. I've made these for many people (including my wife) who say they hate oysters but they end up loving these.

Melt a stick of butter with 3 cloves of garlic. Line your gas grill with foil and preheat to 400. Place oysters in full she'll on foil for five minutes and then remove. You will need an OVEN Glove to handle and you will need to remove the top shell with an oyster knife. Then drizzle the garlic butter in the half shelled oysters and place in your Traeger or other brand smoker. Set on low heat smoke only and let them smoke for 45 minutes. The finished result will yield firm, moist and very flavorful oysters that may convince oyster haters to be converted.
2019 Cutwater C28

Tunacious

I always keep a supply of smoked salmon on the shelf.  I usually use steelhead or coho.

Chinook is even better canned but I usually save Chinook for other uses.

I brine my fish with the same recipe I always use but I only brine it for about 4 hours or it comes out to salty.

I place the fish in the smoke house and smoke for about 3 hours or until the skin peels off easily.

I peel the skin off and put the fish into pint jars and can according to the pressure cooker directions.

The fish lasts a long long time.  It is super moist and can be added to salads or just eaten.

Below is my favorite recipe.
Thirty years ago when I married my wife we had this same recipe on all the tables for the quests before dinner.

My favorite recipe is:
2 Cups of Smoked Salmon
8 oz of cream cheese
1 Tbls lemon juice
2 Tbls of grated onion
1 tea of horseradish
3 Tbls of parsley flakes
Mix all ingredients together well with fork
Roll the stuff into a round ball.
Roll the salmon spread in chopped walnuts or pecans to cover the entire outside.
Wrap in plastic wrap and let set in refrigerator.
Serve with crackers.

Threeweight

Discovered a new Tuna! recipe last night that we really liked.  If you have an asian market near you, this is a pretty quick and delicious way to change up the usual grilled tuna dishes.

Thai/Mex fusion albacore tacos.  We modified the recipe we found here: http://www.realgoodfish.com/recipe/413/albacore-shiso-tacos

Ingredients

2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
4 tablespoons fresh lime juice (we used Japanese ponzu sauce instead)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1/2 cup raw cashews, chopped chunky (we skipped these)
1/2 cup green onion, sliced
1/2 cup shiso leaf, finely chopped (also known as sesame leaf)
1/4 cup Thai basil, finely chopped
1/4 cup mint, finely chopped (we skipped, the basil and sesame leaves are already pretty potent tastes)
1/4 cup onion, minced
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 pounds fresh albacore tuna, chopped in 1/4" pieces
Ground cayenne pepper (about 1/8 t)

12 corn torillas, small size

We cut our tuna into 1" thick strips, seasoned with a little olive oil and pepper, and grilled.

Separately, made the sauce by mincing the basil and sesame leaves, green onion, garlic and onion, then combined with other ingredients to make the sauce.  Thinly slice some napa cabbage and steam the tortillas.  When ready to eat, spoon the grilled tuna onto a tortilla, then add a couple spoonfuls of the sauce, and garnish with cabbage.  Fold, and devour!
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Markshoreline

Here's a great way to use your frozen Dungeness crab, or fresh for that matter!

Start with a good mac and cheese recipe- this one from Martha Stewart this is one of the best.

https://food52.com/recipes/14671-martha-stewart-s-macaroni-and-cheese

Defrost your crab slowly, like in the refrigerator overnight  if possible so it retains it's texture.  Then drain until most of the liquid is gone and add it to the mac and cheese mixture just before baking.  For a mac and cheese that uses 1 lb of pasta I use 1 lb of crab.

2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

GregE

Copied from Bloody Decks-  looks good!!
G

Clam strips
1 1/2 Cups of flour
1 Egg
1 Bottle of beer
Salt
Pepper Garlic Powder
Panko Crumbs

Mix flour with salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste.
Mix one egg and a bottle of beer add this to the flour until you get a pancake batter type consistency.
Dip calm strips into the batter then into Panko crumbs place into deep fryer at 350 until golden brown.

Chowder
I make this in my big Crock-pot
3 Cups milk
3 Cups Heavy Cream
3 12 oz Cans of unsweetened evaporated milk
1/4 cup of white wine
1 large onion chopped
2 Large baking potatoes pealed
4 stalks of celery chopped
1 lb or so of razor clam meat chopped
12 slices of bacon chopped.
2 Tbsp of minced garlic
the leaves form 4 or 5 stalks of fresh thyme
3 bay leaves.
Salt and pepper to taste

In the crock pot add all the liquids cut one of the potatoes into 1/2" cubes and coarsely grate the other with a cheese grater into the liquid. Add the clam meat, thyme leaves, garlic and bay leaves.

In a skillet brown the chopped bacon (add a splash of water in the pan it will help to keep it from burning) until crispy. Drain the grease add the celery and onion (add another splash of water) cook until onion is soft. Add these ingredients to the crock-pot set on low and cook 8-10 hours.

Salt and pepper to taste.

It's even better if you put it in the fridge for a day or two then heat it back up and eat it then.
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Markshoreline

We were discussing fresh, live black sea bass and how to cook them.  Here is a recipe that is similar to the style of the Pink Door Italian restaurant in Seattle.
http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/grilled-branzino-with-cilantro-mint-relish
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

croaker stroker

My cousin makes the best fried clams. Whole, bellys and all. Delicious.

Fried clams and Guinness beer. Yum.

He was an oil field cook.

http://harbourroadpub.ca

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

croaker stroker

Scotch Kisses

3/4 cu salted butter, plus more for the cooling surface.
2 1/4 cu packed dark brown sugar
1 cu light corn syrup
1 cu whipping cream
1/2 cu watrer
1T. vanilla extract

Generously butter a surface to drop the caramel coated marshmallows on.

In a large pot over medium-low heat, stir together the sugar, corn syrup, cream, butter, water until the sugar is dissolved and the butter is melted.  Increase the heat and boil stirring occasionally with a heatproof spatula, until the mixture is golden brown and measures 245-250 degrees on a candy thermometer, about 10-15 minutes.  Remove from the heat and carefully stir in the vanilla extract.

I use chopsticks to dip the Marshmallows and I butter the Soapstone top of my kitchen island.

Then I cut Cut-rite wax paper into squares big enough to wrap the Kisses and twist the ends.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸