News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

New Lowrance Gen 2 Touch screens!

Started by Channel Cat, October 07, 2012, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Channel Cat

Got to play with a couple of the "New" Touch screen HDS Gen2 units, WOW!  Will probably be selling my  HDS 5 gen 2 units soon for an upgrade. I hate it when this happens :doh:
Here is the link: WARNING, May cause sonar envy!
http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/
Team Arima
"07" 19'SR, 115 HP E-TEC, 9.9 Johnson 4 stk.

DSCS

Those are sweet units. Even have the Structure Scan built in! I think a lot of folks were surprised that Navico is bringing their "top tier" technology to the Lowrance line.   :bigshock:

I switched out HDS to a couple of Simrad NSS units over last winter. Love the touchscreen!  :smile1:  Only problem with my setup is I have an NSS 8 at the helm and an HDS 8 on the port side. When I change anything on the HDS8 I usually touch the screen a couple of times before I remember I have to use the buttons on that one.  :facepalm:
We're most of us liars, we're 'arf of us thieves,
an' the rest are as rank as can be,
But once in a while we can finish in style
(which I 'ope it won't 'appen to me).

ak-angler

I dunno... I'm still not convinced that small boats and touch screens are a good combination, especially with the wind chop we usually have to run in. :shrug9:
1985 Sea Ranger 17 Skiff Top with 2012 Suzuki DF90A - Sold

2007 Cape Cruiser Marinaut 26 with twin 2006 Honda BF90's

wedocq

I can't wait to see how well they work. I have told myself a million times, "I will not by Lowrance again, as long as I live". And yet here I sit, thinking this sounds pretty cool.  :biggrin:
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Salmon King

***RED ALERT!***  HINT....HINT...  ***RED ALERT!***

I'm in the market for a steal of a deal on an hds unit (5, 7, or an 8) with Insight

S.K.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

DSCS

Quote from: ak-angler on October 07, 2012, 09:10:41 AM
I dunno... I'm still not convinced that small boats and touch screens are a good combination, especially with the wind chop we usually have to run in. :shrug9:

I haven't touched one of the new Lowrance yet so don't have first hand knowledge. I did take a quick look at the operator manual online and it seems to be a pretty slick setup. They do devote some of the screen real estate to soft "buttons". There is also a "cursor assist" where you touch and hold on the screen, then it pops up an object that you can drag to the exact spot you want to position the cursor.

My Simrad NSS units have a rotary knob and a few buttons so I can chose whether to use the touch screen or buttons and knobs to do whatever I want. Having used the touch screen units for a full season now I haven't had any problems at all with them. Realistically, about the only thing I do when "running in a chop" is change the range on the chart or radar so it's not a big deal for me.

The other knock I have heard on touch screens is "they'll be covered in fish slime and smelly jelly"  :berry: Well I eat, drink, attend to other bodily functions, smoke cigarettes, take pictures, etc while I'm fishing. I keep rags and wipes place throughout the boat and don't have globs of fish slime dripping off my fingers. Haven't had a problem with the touchscreens.
We're most of us liars, we're 'arf of us thieves,
an' the rest are as rank as can be,
But once in a while we can finish in style
(which I 'ope it won't 'appen to me).

Threeweight

I have handled the Raymarine touch screens in stores... pretty slick but I share the concern about handling them with wet hands (or hands covered in Tuna! blood and oil).  The Ray's have both the touch screen controls and their soft key controls (with the little joystick/knob for moving the cursor around on the screen).
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

amazing grace

I did have a touch screen phone and I did not get along with it well :facepalm: So I will not be picking one up anytime soon. But I am pretty ole' fashioned :whistle:

1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Salmon King

Great!  Glad to hear they're coming out with them!! NOW...

Someone go out and buy an upgrade so I can get the "old-fashioned" one for my boat!

Hurry now....I'm waiting!

I'm in the hurts and the hunt for a smokin' deal right now.
I've got to get back on the water before the action is over!!!!!!!!!

S.K.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

amazing grace

sk, that hodges maring deal is looking awful good. Under $600 for brand new unit with the loaded software. I think if you compare it to what you might fins a gen 2 used unit, you might as well buy new.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Chuck Jones

The new HDS 7, 9, and more are a real upgrade, however this technology race seems like planned obsolescence.  You no sooner get used to one iteration, and another comes out.  If anyone is planning on dumping a "old and outdated" HDS 8 or 10, I would appreciate a PM....

The new HDS units are much more rectangular rather than square, and will present a lower profile.  For the folks with the larger boats, there may be ample space on the dash, however I find that even using the HDS 5 takes up some room and partially covers one dial.  The new line also uses the upgraded LS II transducers.   I share in the concern over smudgy fingers.  Given the fact we're often using scents, cutting sardines or anchovies, cleaning fish etc....it's really easy to forget to completely wash your hands and end up with schmootzy on the screen.   I'm perfectly happy with buttons.
(91) 19' Sea Ranger HT....SOLD 5/2013
(07) 21' Sea Ranger HT.....SOLD 3/2014
(05) 21' Design Concepts ...4/20/14

I often have silent thoughts in my head, but sometimes I worry about what they're thinking

Keel-er

Depending on which touchscreen technology they are using and the IP (Ingress Protection) rating, water may not be an issue.  I assume that they have selected a touch technology which allows use with bare hands and maybe nitrile gloves so resistive or capacitive, the latter is what the smart phones and most tablets use and it is a glass layer over the display so pretty impermeable to water.  Resistive is also a glass panel with a polyester layer over it so the panel itself it pretty well protected as we use it in some of our medical devices and, well you can imagine, hands get dirty in doc's offices and hospitals.   
1986 Sea Ranger 17 "Nancy Lyn"-Sold
2020 Yamaha F90
1995 Sea Ranger 19
2023 Tohatsu 140
2020 Yamaha 9.9