News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Saltwater is bad...

Started by Threeweight, September 29, 2012, 03:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threeweight

Installing a washdown in my boat... opened up the back to run a new power lead from my rear fuse block and I found this...

Two years old... I think saltwater dripped down on it from the rear rod holder.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

GregE

Yikes!!

Something else we all should check. 
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

SR17inBC

Two words for you....Dialectric Grease!

I smother all my electrical connections such as the Blue Sea systems panels with it...(after I install the cable connections, as it's non-conductive). Seems to work quite well at combating rust and saltwater corrosion ....with only an annual re-greasing.
'91 SR19 Hard Top

croaker stroker

Rust?  Should that happen to a marine panel ??  Seems like all the metal parts should be brass, copper, or SS.

Ditto on the dielectric grease.  I even use it on my Humminbird plug.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Wyrguy

That rust looks like a good example of why you shouldn't use plain jane automotive type crimp/terminal lugs, they'll rust! Blue Sea Systems (the maker of that fuse block, PN 5025) only uses tin-plated copper, lugs & wire terminals should be the same (marine grade tin-plated copper) All the other corrosion (fuzzy white) appears to be caused by using tinned aluminum lugs (just as bad)  :twocents:

Rick
'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250XCA O/S T9.9 Yamahas Yamaha Command Link Plus  iTroll throttle control
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Two Scotty HP 2106 DRs

rusty scuppers

Lately I've been thinking about finding a cap for the bottom of those rod holders or fab something that would route it to the bilge, cuss if( Heaven forbid ),water comes over my transom, it will dump the salt water right on top of my battery and connections.

Threeweight

I only use Anchor brand marine terminal connections, and I do dab dielectric grease on all connections.  Just sharing to show what salt will do when allowed to sit even on top of the line components.  The tin on the Blue Sea unit was completely eaten through, showing copper underneath (well, rust and oxidation).  The Anchor ring terminal actually didn't look too bad.  I think the salt got under it and ate away at the threads of the screw (dissimilar metals, stainless on copper/tin).

The flush-mount rod holders on the rear of the Arimas will allow water to get in back there.  I replaced mine a while back with stainless holders with plastic caps... but the caps do not completely seal.   Going to look for a PVC cap to slip over the bottom of them tomorrow, and glue it on w/ 5200.  I'd pull the things out and patch the holes, but I actually use them for Tuna!
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

allpauwork

Quote from: rusty scuppers on September 29, 2012, 07:29:05 PM
Lately I've been thinking about finding a cap for the bottom of those rod holders or fab something that would route it to the bilge, cuss if( Heaven forbid ),water comes over my transom, it will dump the salt water right on top of my battery and connections.

I noticed that too during my rewire.  Not too concerned about the battery as it has a nice battery box but I did mount a negative buss bar away from the bottom of that rod holder.

Markshoreline

I removed my rod holders and placed a heavy piece of roofing vinyl over them, then placed downrigger ball holders on top of them.  Seals the holes and provides a convenient place to set the DR balls.  But they don't glow.

Mark
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Wyrguy

Quote from: markshoreline on October 02, 2012, 08:11:50 PM
provides a convenient place to set the DR balls.  But they don't glow.

Mark

They could if you tried hard enough!  :bigshock:   :jester:

Just $45 for the 15 lb ones...!

Rick
'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250XCA O/S T9.9 Yamahas Yamaha Command Link Plus  iTroll throttle control
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Two Scotty HP 2106 DRs