News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Any good deals on a depth finder?

Started by Vancouvertechie, September 18, 2012, 10:24:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vancouvertechie

I am not looking to spend a lot right now, but I need a decent depth finder for fishing in the salt.  DS500X?  if anyone knows of a good deal online or else where please PM me.

Thanks,

VT
2003 15' SeaHunter 50HP Suzuki (FI4Strk)
1991 16' SeaChaser 50HP Johnson (Keith)
1995 19' SeaRanger 115 Yamaha (FI4Strk)
1992 Zodiac Hurricane Honda 135HP
1987 44' Tollycraft Motoryacht

amazing grace

Me too. What is your budget? Have you looked at Garmin?
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Hydro-Therapy

VT that is one old unit you are looking for. You might want to look for a A65 or A70d as they are discontinued models now and most of them came with a p58 transducer (50/200 w/600watts). That is if you want to stay with Raymarine.

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

Vancouvertechie

My budget is really tight right now due to the fact I have a Cabo fishing trip coming up.  But what I am looking at is the Raymarine DS600x, Raymarine A57D, Furuno FCV600L, and the Furuno LS4100. 

The GPS/Chartplotter thing is not really a want or need right now.  I am very happy with the 10.1" Android tablet for GPS navigation, and a Ipod as backup.  Both with GPS chips and are not cellular based. 

VT

Salmon King

I happen to be in the market for a Raymarine Chartplotter...

Unfortunately I have to find one USED...also due to limited funds.

I was looking at Lowrance BUT...
I've read too many horror stories about breakdowns and a lack of customer support.

S.K.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Markshoreline

VT,
Don't want to hijack the thread but what kind of gps chip do you install in a ipad/iphone'ipod? 
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Wyrguy

Quote from: markshoreline on September 22, 2012, 05:51:49 PM
VT,
Don't want to hijack the thread but what kind of gps chip do you install in a ipad/iphone'ipod? 

Hey Mark, not to hijack as well but I just checked out a co-workers iPad last week... he uses the Navionics app for his cruising (Nanaimo and Gulf Islands area) He also uses the iPad to take pictures along the way too and then when he goes back over his routes, the pics pop up right where they were taken. He is also able to overlay Google Maps satellite view over top of the chart to get a view of an anchorage, passage, or marina. He paid $49 cdn...
...now back to your regularly scheduled thread!

Rick
'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250XCA O/S T9.9 Yamahas Yamaha Command Link Plus  iTroll throttle control
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Two Scotty HP 2106 DRs

amazing grace

I think I am going to give the Garmin 500c echo a try. Looks like it would be good for fresh or salt water. 5" color screen and down to a depth of 1900'. dual beam transducer. Seems good for sub $300. If I decide I can upgrade later this unit would be a good second unit. Thoughts? :shrug9:
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

Hydro-Therapy

AG I would make sure that any df  I bought was digital and not analog. I don't know if the garmin is or not.

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

amazing grace

Thanks HT, that is not something I have considered. I do not see any of them advertised as such. Wonder how I can find that out? Hmmmmm?

I am also wondering if my Hummingbird 597 is digital now?
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

Threeweight

Ignore the depth #'s they cite, look at the number of watts it puts out, and the signal frequencies.  More watts = more power for deep water, and more power for punching through salt.  Most units these days are dual frequency, either 50/200 mhz or 83/200 mhz.  For saltwater, you want 50 mhz (narrow low frequency signal that punches through dense saltwater better, gives better readings  at depth).  200 mhz is generally for shallow water, broader cone, bigger picture of what is under the boat.  83 mhz is generally for deep-ish freshwater.

I looked at the Echo's when I was looking for a 2nd unit a while back... IMO they are more designed for bass fishing in freshwater lakes (83/200 mhz transducer), and only 300 watts power, vs. 500 for the Lowrance HDS, and 600 for the Raymarine units.  If you don't mind black and white screens, the Furuno 4100 is bundled with a nice 50/200 mhz Airmar transducer, and has a great reputation.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

amazing grace

I am no expert but I believe the garmin 500c is a 500 watt unit and I think the dual beam is 60/120.  Say's to 700' in salt water? Can be had for a good bit less than $300?

Who has the LS4100 for a good price?

I am not opposed to a black and white unit either.

Thanks.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

FISHSTALKER

VT - I know you stated that you are on a budget. I might suggest purchasing a used unit from Bloody Decks or the like until you amass the fortune you need for a larger screened sonar unit. I had to make due for over a year before the purchase of my Furuno FCV585. After using this sonar unit in comparison to my older 8" Ray Marine, it is like day and night. The big advantage is viewing the 10" screen from the back of the boat. Furuno is rated #1 and does deliver an excellent filtering system. Sorry I do go on and on but the unit delivers different colours for fish ID and marks the fish directly under the boat with footage marks as compared to no marks on fish out to the sides.
Don't get me wrong Ray Marine and others make great equipment but IMHO this Furuno is head and shoulders above them. The INMEA's Conference & Expo will take place September 26–29 at the Loews Royal Pacific Resort at Universal Orlando in Orlando, Fla. The results for the last 6 years have been awards going to Furuno for the best in Sonar. It will be interesting if they top the scale again this year.
just my2Cents.

Dale

PS - In the control menu there is a selection for either Salt water or Fresh water. It also has a selection to use 600 watts power or 1000 watts depending on the transducer you plan to use.
91' Sea Ranger 19' cabin 91 Merc 115, 05' Honda 15, Furuno FCV 585, Cannon DT20's, Bert's track sys.

Vancouvertechie

FISHSTALKER,

Yes, I know about Furuno winning the best depth finder NMEA award the past 35 years.  It is just hard to fathom spending that much on one at this time especially a 10" screen for 1991' 16 foot boat.  I don't doubt its nice.  Now if I had a 22 footer or larger like a Defender or Parker, then yes it would be on my list.

I mean I like fishing and catching fish, but there are a lot of other things I would like to do.  Number 1, is stay married.   Number 2 is travel until my passport cannot fit anymore stamps.  3 is to retire early.

That is why I am looking at older technology right now.  I do miss my Raymarine A50d that is in my old boat.  But if I can get a color depth sounder or a very good black and white one for $200-300.00 then I would be very happy. 

VT

Vancouvertechie

Quote from: markshoreline on September 22, 2012, 05:51:49 PM
VT,

Coho Killer - Mark,

My iPod touch has the GPS Cradle that works as a extra battery pack and incorporates the GPS function.  For my iPad I have both the Bad Elf GPS and the bluetooth GPS the same one that Woody has.  But I prefer to use my Android tablet that has built-in GPS and the same 10 inch screen.

VT

Threeweight

Grace,

Sorry, I shouldn't be posting while canning Tuna!  I was confusing the 500 you are looking at with the cheaper 300 unit.  It would be a better performer in saltwater than the 300.  I think the frequencies on it are 77 mhz and 200 mhz.

The Furuno 4100 goes for $275 or so bundled with the Airmar transducer.  Hodges Marine usually has good prices for all kinds of marine electronics online (and West Marine will price match them on the stuff they carry).

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

woody

Just to clarify, my iPad has GPS built in (and I run iNav).  However like VT, the cost is too high for full time use so I use the Bad Elf for GPS on it.

I can get GPS turned on for about $6 month, turn off after 30 days.  But I can also use my iPhone for GPS and iNav if in a jam.

A search will find a lot of pros and cons VT and I covered when we were researching.

Woody

Vancouvertechie

I guess when you look at it.  It is nice to have different options and opinions. After reading through the Furuno Operator's Manual the LS-4100 or LS-6100 are nice units.  This is while I am eating some nice Puget Sound Coho that was prepared on a cedar planked, garnished with a Canadian whiskey, brown sugar, dijon mustard, teriyaki sauce, and touch of maple syrup.  I should say basted.  

I so happen to have a 12v battery on my desk pulled from one of our APC battery backup units and fired the Furuno up.  

There are a wealth of features and options that make this depth finder the top of the list.  If not, one of the top ones.  With a good Airmar transducer in place it would be a no brainer to upgrade to the FCV 620 in the future.

I hope to have the Furuno FCV-600L and the Raymarine DS600x by the end of the week.  Then I can make a better decision on which one I want to go with.  

VT

amazing grace

So you went ahead a got a Ls4100? or did you already have it? If you just got it, where and how much?
I am hooking up an old
x51 Lowrance today for a trip tomorrow :doh:
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

Vancouvertechie

It just arrived today, and I hope the other two will arrive by the end of the week. 

VT

FISHSTALKER

91' Sea Ranger 19' cabin 91 Merc 115, 05' Honda 15, Furuno FCV 585, Cannon DT20's, Bert's track sys.

amazing grace

Thanks Threeweight, I did check hodges marine and they are $278 plus shipping.

Wow, three units!

sent you a pm Vt
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

polarbill1999

We have a terrible eagle fish finder on my dad's Arima.  So bad it says we are in 20 feet of water out near the channel marker off west point.  I may have to look at one of these to replace it.  Maybe a christmas present.  It isn't a fancy, color, ff/GPS combo but likes like it will get the job done. 
Brett
1996 Sea Chaser 16 the "Rhumb Runner"
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

Vancouvertechie

I stopped by Roger's Marine Electronics on my way home yesterday to look around and to check out the inventory.  They had both the Furuno's LS-4100 and LS-6100 there.  The gentlemen I spoke with spoke of those two units very highly.  They also had a Garmin 550c on the lower shelf and asked him about that.  He mentioned shallow fresh water only. 

I asked about the difference in wattage between the Furuno (300) and the Raymarine (500) and how much difference.  He told me the Raymarine has a solid sounder and what Furuno lacks in wattage makes up in some technological enhancements.  Of course, he mentioned the FCV-620 (600) would be ideal. 

I could spend hours looking at all the eye candy!  The Furuno MFD8 would be nice and so would the E7D from Raymarine. 

VT

StreamFixer

You might check with Portland Marine Electronics.  They are in Clackamas and appear to have a decent selection of high quality equipment.  Seem very knowledgeable to me.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu